Effects that benefit from ability power receive a bonus based on a certain percentage of a champion's current ability power. For example, if a spell deals 100 (+20% AP) damage and a champion has 50 ability power, the spell's damage will increase by 10. In-game, spell descriptions do not display the percentage, but do display the resulting bonus; the previous example would display as 100 (+10).
Ability power has a theoretical gold value of 21.75 per unit. This means that is the most efficient AP core item, with a gold/AP ratio of 20.833∞.The costs of these stats are always offset by increased final costs of their upgraded items.
Increasing Ability Power
|3800||120||Summoner's Rift, Howling Abyss|
|2900||70||Summoner's Rift, Howling Abyss|
Specific to Viktor
- +1 ability power per level, +10 mana per level. Unique Passive – Progress: This item can be upgraded three times to enhance Viktor's basic abilities. 0:
- +3 ability power per level, +15 mana per level. Unique Passive – Progress: Viktor can upgrade one of his basic spells. 1000:
- +6 ability power per level, +20 mana per level. Unique Passive – Progress: Viktor can upgrade one of his basic spells. 2000:
- +10 ability power per level :
Note: Only the ability power buffs of these abilities are shown here. To read more information on each of these abilities, follow the links to their champions' pages.
- Galio's Runic Skin adds 50% of his total magic resistance to his ability power.
- Singed's Insanity Potion grants him 35 / 50 / 80 ability power for 25 seconds.
- Thresh's Damnation passively generates souls for him to collect, with each soul collected permanently granting 0.75 ability power.
- Veigar's Phenomenal Evil Power permanently grants him 1 ability power whenever he hits an enemy champion with an ability, and 5 ability power whenever he scores a champion takedown.
- Vladimir's Crimson Pact grants ability power equal to 4% of his bonus health.
- 3 / 6 / 9 / 12 / 15 ability power and 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 attack damage at level 18. grants a total of
- The Dragon Slayer buff grants +8 / 16 / 24% ability power.
- The Hand of Baron buff grants up to +40 ability power (among other bonuses) for 3 minutes.
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
|Ability Power, Scaling
(Ability Power per level)
|Mark||X||X||0.1 per level (1.8)|
|Seal||X||X||0.1 per level (1.8)|
|Glyph||X||X||0.17 per level (3.06)|
|Quintessence||X||X||0.43 per level (7.74)|
- The ability with the largest AP ratio is Annie's Summon: Tibbers, with a maximum AP ratio of (+ 515% AP) counting initial cast of (+ 65% AP) and the target taking damage from all 45 ticks of tibbers aura damage ((+ 10% AP) per tick).
- The second and third bounces of Nami's Ebb and Flow scale exponentially, however the low base ratio means it will not beat other spells at normal levels of AP.
- Darius, Draven, Garen, Illaoi, Kalista, Kindred, Olaf, Riven, Talon, Vayne, and Zed have no abilities or innate effects that scale with ability power.
(Last updated October 26th, 2016, patch 6.12)
Aside from Veigar and Thresh, who may obtain theoretically infinite ability power due to their respective passive effects, and Galio, interacting with Runic Skin and a metagame mechanic not intended to be seen in gameplay (bonus magic resistance when disconnected), the highest attainable ability power by a playable champion on Summoner's Rift is still on Galio thanks to his passive, Runic Skin.
- To reach this amount there are 5 nearby enemy players and 3 allied players needed, who play Braum, Orianna and Janna.
- Galio must:
- Be level 18 while having a full rune page of Scaling Ability Power runes.
- Have maximum ranks in the , in the and in the mastery.
- Possess the Hand of Baron buff (after 35 minutes) and three Infernal stacks of the Dragon Slayer buff, empowered by the buff of the Elder Dragon.
- Have the Crest of the Ancient Golem buff.
- Have a fully stacked , 4 s, and one .
- Have consumed an Bulwark on himself. and have cast
- Be a Conduit for Orianna) at 100 charges (connected to
- Be affected by Braum's Stand Behind Me and by Orianna's Command: Protect.
- Be affected by Legion, the passive of and .
- Janna must:
- Orianna must:
- Braum must:
- This combination will result in Galio having about 2343 ability power.
- Relevant mathematics:
- Galio's ability power = ( + + + + + + + ) × ( + + + + ) = 2339.47
- Braum's additional magic resistance = ( + + + + ) × = 561.16
- Ability Power gained by Runic Skin = ( + + + + + + × ) ÷ 2 = 171.46
- Full rune page of Scaling Ability Power runes = ( ) + ( ) + ( ) + ( ) = 83.16
- Full rune page of Scaling Magic Resistance runes = ( ) + ( ) + ( ) + ( ) = 73.44
- 151.04 = (( + + ) × ) + =
[Last updated 13/8/2015 on patch 5.15]
- The highest attainable ability power by a playable champion at level 1 (without disconnecting) is 129.2032153 on Galio thanks to his passive, Runic Skin. To reach this amount, he must:
- Have maximum ranks in the Mental Force, Arcane Mastery, Archmage, and Resistance masteries.
- Have 3 last points in Enchanted Armor.
- Have a full rune page of Ability Power runes.
- Have bought a .
- Use Galio's Bulwark.
- Be under the effect of Braum's Stand Behind Me with five enemies nearby.
- Be under the effects of Mordekaiser's Creeping Death and Orianna's Command: Protect.
- This combination will result in Galio having 129.2032153 ability power.
- Relevant mathematics: