- 60 ability power = 1305
- 60 magic resistance = 1080
- 10% cooldown reduction = 266.67
- is gold efficient, without its passive.
- With its passive, is gold efficient.
is especially powerful for melee champions and short-ranged casters, who are exceptional at close combat to the enemy and deal considerable amounts of magic damage. Considering this, the following list is a guideline about champions who should consider as a relevant purchase option:
- The following champions are classified as long-ranged or utilize zoning as their primary mechanic, and aren't suited for the item:
- The following champions are classified as mid-ranged casters, or feature core mechanics that place them within a moderate range of the enemy. These are not intended users of the item, but many can easily make use of the item:
- Encouraged (below 650 range): Annie, Ahri, Blitzcrank, Fiddlesticks, Kayle, Kennen, LeBlanc, Lissandra, Morgana, Nunu, Rumble, Swain, Vladimir,
- Discretionary (above 650 range): Anivia, Brand, Cassiopeia, Karma, Malzahar, Tristana, Veigar, Viktor
- Discouraged (despite range): Janna, Lulu, Sona, Teemo, , Zilean
- The following champions are classified as (or can be played as) low-range or melee casters, assassins, or AP/aura tanks, and are the intended users of the item:
- magic damage and you're looking for a defensive item without sacrificing damage, or as an option to increase your overall burst and duelling power. is most effective to build during laning, if both you and your opponent are mainly dealing
- As one of a few items granting flat magic penetration, , coupled with other magic penetration items like , can be used to exploit high base damage values.
- The flat magic penetration becomes less effective against more magic resistance. This makes a strategic choice, especially as it will either delay or even replace . If you're not in possession of strong percentual life damage, you might be rendered useless against tanks later on.
- With proper maneuvering aura debuff can be applied to the entire enemy team, securing kills for longer-ranged champions.
- Unlike magic penetration, aura can result in a negative magic resistance, resulting in an effective damage buff.
- The debuff also affects minions and monsters, except for the Dragon, Baron Nashor and Vilemaw.
- The icon indicating the debuff aura often appears before the enemy who carries it. If an enemy is standing in a nearby brush or just over a wall, the debuff icon may give them away even if they cannot be seen.
- The aura will remain present even while using .