- Akali was designed by Coronach.
- Akali is voiced by .
- In Japanese, Akali is read as Akari (明), which means "Light, Bright, Cheerful," contrasting to her title, "The Fist of Shadow".
- In Sikhism, Akali is a word that is used for referring to someone or something that is "Divine".
- Akali was one of the champions chosen for the Ionian pool available during the Ionia vs. Noxus match. However, she was not one of the selected champions.
- Akali's Shadow Dance , was originally a skill shot rather than the point-and-click skill.
- Akali carries a pair of into battle.
- Akali's dance is a direct reference to here. . A side-by-side comparison can be seen
- Akali is currently the only Energy-based champion to have any associated cost on their Ultimate Ability (1x Essence of Shadow).
- Akali's joke is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the criticism towards the matchmaking system, often matching up teams of wildly varying levels, causing lower-leveled players to be swiftly defeated by higher-level ones.
- Akali is one of only 2 champions that says the word "noob", the other one being Sion
- Akali's quote: "Tread lightly." is similar to Shen's quote: "Tread carefully."
- Classic Akali resembles from the series.
- Silverfang Akali resembles from the game series.
- Stinger Akali resembles the main character from movie, , hence her blood spattered yellow clothing and weapons.
- Stinger Akali is likely a reference to from the aforementioned , as her costume and color scheme are similar, as well as the fact that scorpions have stingers.
- Crimson Akali resembles from the series.
- The All-Star Akali skin, along with the soccer skins for other champions, appeared just before the 2010 World Cup started, and were removed from the store on October 31, 2010.
- Nurse Akali, Kennen M.D. and Surgeon Shen share a Medical skin theme.
- Akali and Blood Moon Shen share a Blood Moon skin theme. The masks they are wearing are a reference to the masks worn at the Japanese theater.
- Silverfang Akali shares a striking resemblance to Nightblade Irelia in design.
- Akali is a member of the Kinkou Order along with Kennen and Shen. The three shadow warriors work together in order to preserve the balance in Valoran.
- Akali and her fellow ninjas are at war with Zed and his Order of Shadows.
- During a contagion outbreak at the Institute of War, Akali volunteered as a nurse and can be seen administering a mandatory shot to Amumu.
- Akali may have another, more personal connection with Zed. Perhaps she is former member of Order of Shadows - RiotRunaan pointed out her title (the Fist of Shadow) and passive Twin Disciplines, and mentioned that Zed once had a favourite student who left his Order, but there was no official statement. It is also mentioned that despite appearances, she has capacity for violence and cruelty. 
- Despite this, or perhaps in some way due to it, Akali is apparently the least disposed of the Kinkou triumvirate towards forgiving Zed in any way, believing that only death is suitable for him, in contrast with Kennen, who believes that there is a possibility for Zed to be redeemed (while Shen is undecided).
Akali and her Nurse skin were on a 50% sale from March 21 to March 27, 2011. All the revenues generated by this special sale were donated to the Riot Games President Marc Merrill stated the following:to aid the population of Japan after the . A week later,
Summoners! This past March 11 marked one of the greatest natural disasters in recorded history. In an effort to support those affected by the devastation, we invited all League of Legends players to donate to the American Red Cross by purchasing the Nurse Akali skin or the champion Akali with RP. The promotion ran for all of this past week, during which time 100% of all proceeds from this champion and skin were collected for the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund. In the end, over 50,000 summoners chose to participate. We invited our partners from the Red Cross down to the Riot Games office to accept your donations, which totaled over $160,000! We have witnessed the power in the community in the past, but you never cease to amaze us. Riot Games and the American Red Cross would like to thank you for your generosity, and for stepping in to contribute to the relief efforts in the wake of this global tragedy.