- Playing As Akali
- Akali excels at killing weaker characters. Let your team initiate and then strike at the people in the back.
- Find the balance between storing Essence of Shadows, and using Shadow Dance before having max charges.
- Playing Against Akali
- Akali can still be hit by area effect spells while invisible inside Twilight Shroud.
- Akali greatly benefits from both and . Watch which items she gets and prioritize her accordingly.
- Return to base if your Health is low and Akali has multiple charges of her ultimate.
- Ability Usage
- Beyond rank 1, Mark of the Assassin's debuff lasts longer than the cooldown, allowing Akali to perform a high-damage burst combo by timing her attacks. Specifically, Akali can cast Mark of the Assassin, follow it up with Shadow Dance, then finish with another Mark of the Assassin for extremely high burst damage.
- When harassing a squishy opponent, be sure to use an autoattack to detonate Mark of the Assassin. Save Crescent Slash for when your target is out of auto-attack range to deal maximized damage. However it will no longer detonate Mark of the Assassin.
- You can use Crescent Slash to harass tough melee opponents from range.
- Manage Akali's energy by using only the abilities that will deal the most damage. Spamming her abilities will drain her energy and lower the damage she can inflict over time.
- The stealth and slow of Twilight Shroud can be used offensively to provide cover and allow her to chain skill combos on the enemy more quickly, but can also be used defensively to prevent drawing enemy focus during team fights and to provide aid in retreating after team fights or running from ganks. Be wary of s as well as champion abilities that may reveal you.
- Twilight Shroud is great for running from enemies in the jungle, especially near brush, as you can overlap them to break vision with both the brush and Twilight Shroud to juke enemies. You can drop a or a Twilight Shroud over a wall and use the vision provided to Shadow Dance to a monster over the wall.
- The ability can also be used to check brushes for enemies as the stealth prevents you from being seen by enemy champions in the same brush.
- Shadow Dancing to nearby minions can be useful to quickly disengage.
- Crescent Slash is great for farming gold by last hitting minions and pushing lanes as it deals AoE damage.
- Akali's strength greatly increases once she gains access to Shadow Dance. Before level six, you will oftentimes not be able to get close enough to enemies to proc her main damaging ability, Mark of the Assassin.
- If an enemy is out of range, you can use Shadow Dance on an enemy minion to close the distance, allowing you to catch up with or another Shadow Dance.
- Mastery Usage
- Item Usage
- Akali and should probably be purchased as a first or second item. The additional attack damage and ability power is useful for Twin Disciplines as well as built-in life steal and spell vamp.
is an essential item for
- Getting an early Twin Disciplines. is beneficial for early game sustain, along with
- Akali to get into fights without getting immediately focused down even if her shroud is revealed. is close to mandatory as a first or second item, allowing
- Akali can deal a massive amount of burst damage with combined with her passive by auto-attacking an enemy marked with Mark of the Assassin.
- Since Akali is an assassin capable of dealing heavy burst damage to a single target, she is heavily countered when her target starts buying magic resist. Therefore, purchasing a and/or an will ensure she can take out targets and keep her damage relevant throughout the game. Either item probably should be purchased after boots and .
- slow is applied with her Mark of the Assassin and Shadow Dance, allowing her to stick to targets better and reducing the chance that they get away. The additional health also helps keep her alive longer. However, with her 3 Shadow Dance long-range dashes and Twilight Shroud's speed/slow, this is often not necessary. is a viable item to get because the
- Because the base damage and ability power ratios of Akali's abilities are fairly poor, is highly beneficial, granting her more ability power and further complimenting her damage with Twin Disciplines.
- Even though this item's upgrade, Akali's Twin Disciplines, she gains spellvamp from . This item is virtually essential if there are champions like Malzahar, Skarner and Warwick on the enemy team, as their suppression isn't affected by Tenacity and can render Akali useless during a teamfight. , gives no AP, is a strong item of choice on Akali, because she is very vulnerable to CC. Remember that thanks to
- Shadow Dance faster.
are a reasonable alternative to , because there are very few items that give cooldown reduction and synergize with Akali, and cooldown reduction allows her to recharge
- are also a very good alternative to the aforementioned the other two, since she's likely to be locked down as soon as she comes within range.
- Akali is most effective when making quick kills. The longer she has to stick around in a fight the more susceptible she is of taking a heavy amount of damage.
- She isn't as effective against durable opponents because of her low base health and the fact that she is a champion that has to burst a target down quickly.
- Do not underestimate Mark of the Assassin's secondary damage, as it is where most of her damage comes from.
- When Akali uses Twilight Shroud, she can use it to get in and out of stealth, making it tricky to target her. However, having a will make her more vulnerable and easier to take down, and they are highly recommended if one should look to fight her. Investing in a Greater Vision Totem may give you an edge and might prevent her from engaging in the first place.
- After Akali's burst, she has to wait for her cooldowns in order to deal her burst damage again, which takes a while, even with cooldown runes and masteries. When fighting against her, use this time to take her down, if ever you survive her initial burst.
- When you are chasing her, make sure you are aware of the amount of HP you have, due to the fact that she can nuke quite easily and score a kill on you.
- Against Akali, play more offensively before she reaches level 6; try to deny her early game, as she usually has the advantage once she gets her Shadow Dance.
- Akali has very few ways of dealing with pressure early. She can choose between returning damage or farming from a distance with her Mark of the Assassin, and using her Twilight Shroud to farm without being heavily punished or as an escape. Abuse her weakness to try and gain a level advantage before she unlocks her Ultimate.
- Twilight Shroud will stealth her only while she is idle inside the AoE, meaning that she will come out of stealth briefly if she performs any offensive actions or leaves it. Try to move out of the AoE as fast as possible to prevent her from bursting you while in stealth, or pick up a if you mean to fight her.
- Take great care when chasing Akali, as her Shadow Dance and her Twilight Shroud will make her a very effective juker and escape artist.
- Champions with AoE abilities or reveals (such as Lee Sin) can be an extremely effective counter.
- Hitting Akali with hard CC makes her extremely vulnerable.
- Good Akali players will use Shadow Dance to jump out of a fight if there are nearby minions or neutral monsters.
- A common strategy among Akali players, is to, after level 6, go to other lanes and take advantage of Shadow Dance to get multiple kills and help her allies by making them gain assistances and pushing their lanes. If you have no vision of Akali and is unsure of where she is, remember to warn your allies. Because Akali is a champion with a lot of snowball potential, making her ganks succeed can be extremely detrimental to your team.