Types of AoE
The term "chain AoE" refers to abilities that start their effect with a single target, but if there is another valid target within the range of the chain, the effect will jump to that target.
This type of ability usually bounces only a limited number of times and cannot hit the same target twice. There are, however, exceptions:
- Dark Wind, Pyroclasm and Spell Flux can hit the same target more than once.
- Malefic Visions can jump an unlimited amount of times, provided there is a target nearby after the current one dies.
- Chain of Corruption will damage and root any champion nearby the orginal target.
Cone AoE affects a conic area that starts at the feet of the caster. All valid targets in the cone receive the same damage. Volley is an exception - it will shoot line missiles in a cone, with each arrow affecting only the first encountered target.
With "ground targeted area of effect" ("GTAoE") abilities and spells, the player places a circle on the ground that will be the area of the effect. One carefully places this around the targets and clicks to start casting/channeling. All units that are in that area or remain in that area for channeled or over-time GTAoEs suffer the damage and/or effects.
- Akali's Twilight Shroud
- Brand's Pillar of Flame
- Cho'Gath's Rupture
- Galio's Resolute Smite
- Gangplank's Cannon Barrage
- Gragas's Explosive Cask
- Jarvan IV's Demacian Standard
- Lux's Lucent Singularity
- Miss Fortune's Make It Rain
- Morgana's Tormented Soil
- Nasus's Spirit Fire
- Swain's Nevermove
- Trundle's Frozen Domain
- Veigar's Dark Matter
Line-based AoE abilities are the most varied but have 1 thing in common: they only work between point A to point B.
Some AoE effects are cast or used without having to target someone or something; the caster is the anchor for the spell. The effect/damage radiates outward from the caster up to a given range, affecting all targets, or the first given number of targets, within the radius. These types of effects are referred to as "PBAoE", which stands for "point blank area of effect".
Single targeted (Splash)
This type requires at least 1 target to trigger, and the AoE is placed in an area around the target. The primary target is not always affected.
Given the sheer amount of abilities, some are bound to include more than 1 type of AoE. This is where a "hybrid" classification comes into play.
- Cone + line: Wild Cards
- Ground targeted + point blank: Crowstorm, Pounce, Rocket Jump.
- Line + ground targeted (A.K.A. Vector Skillshot): The Equalizer, Death Ray
- Line + point blank: Slice and Dice, Spinning Slash
- Single targeted + line: Dragon's Rage
- Single targeted + point blank: Audacious Charge,