Armor is a stat shared by all units, including minions, monsters, and buildings. Increasing armor reduces the physical damage the unit takes. Each champion begins with some armor which increases with level ( Thresh being the only exception). You can gain additional armor from abilities, items, masteries, and runes. Armor stacks additively.
Damage reduction Edit
Incoming physical damage is multiplied by a factor based on the unit's armor:
- Damage multiplier = 100 / (100 + Armor) if Armor ≥ 0
- Damage multiplier = 2 − [100 / (100 − Armor)] if Armor ≤ 0
- 25 armor → ×0.8 incoming physical damage (20% reduction, +25% effective health).
- 100 armor → ×0.5 incoming physical damage (50% reduction, +100% effective health).
- −25 armor → ×1.20 incoming physical damage (20% increase, −16.67% effective health).
Stacking armor Edit
Every point of armor requires a unit to take 1% more of its maximum health in physical damage to be killed. This is called effective health.
- Example: A unit with 60 armor has 60% more of its maximum health in effective health, so if the unit has 1000 maximum health, it will take 1600 physical damage to kill it.
What this means: by definition, armor does not have diminishing returns, because each point increases the unit's effective health against physical damage by 1% of its current actual health whether the unit has 10 armor or 1000 armor.
- Note: Unlike health, increasing armor also makes healing more effective because it takes more effort to remove the unit's health than it does to restore it.
For a more detailed explanation, see this video.
When a unit's armor is negative because of armor reduction or debuffs, armor has increasing returns, because negative armor cannot reduce effective health to less than 50% of actual health. A unit with -100 armor has 66.67% (gains -33.33%) of its maximum health as effective health.
Armor as Scaling Edit
These use the champion's armor to increase the magnitude of the ability. It could involve total or bonus armor. By building armor items, you can receive more benefit and power from these abilities.
- Garen's Courage grants bonus armor to himself equal to 20% of his bonus armor.
- Malphite's Brutal Strikes increases his armor by 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% / 40% for 6 seconds.
- Taric's Gemcraft ,after using an ability, his next basic attack deals bonus magic damage equal to 30% of his armor.
- Malphite's Ground Slam deals magic damage equal to a base amount plus 30% of his total armor.
- Rammus's Defensive Ball Curl deals a flat amount plus 10% of his total armor.
- Rammus's Spiked Shell grants him bonus attack damage equal to 25% of his total armor.
- Taric's Shatter's aura grants bonus armor to himself and nearby ally champions equal to 12% of his total armor.
- Trundle's Subjugate takes 20% of the target's armor and gains an equal amount of armor. He continues to drain an additional 20% the target's armor over 4 second before decaying 4 seconds after the drain completes.
Ways to increase armor Edit
- : +20 armor, 200 health. Unique Aura - Legion: Nearby allies gain 20 magic resist and 10 health regeneration. 1950 gold.
- : +45 armor, +15% critical strike chance. Unique Passive: Gain attack damage equal to 1.5% of your maximum health. 2300 gold.
- : +40 armor. 720 gold.
- : +15 armor. 300 gold.
- : +95 armor, +400 mana. +20% cooldown reduction. Unique Aura: Nearby enemies suffer −20% attack speed. 2900 gold.
- : +45 armor, +300 mana. Unique Passive: +10% cooldown reduction. 1350 gold.
- : +50 armor, +40 magic resistance. Unique Passive: Revives your champion upon death, restoring 30% of your maximum health and mana. 5 minute cooldown. 2750 gold.
- : +70 armor, +30 ability power, +500 mana, +10% cooldown reduction. Unique Passive - Spellblade: After using an ability, your next basic attack deals bonus physical damage equal to 125% of your base attack damage to surrounding enemies and creates a field for 2 seconds that slows enemies inside by 30%. 2 second cooldown. 3250 gold.
- : +20 armor, +300 health, +10% cooldown reduction, +10 health regeneration. Unique Active: Shield yourself and nearby allies for 5 seconds, absorbing up to 50 (+10 per level) damage. 60 second cooldown. Unique Aura - Legion: Nearby allies gain 20 magic resist and 10 health regeneration. 2500 gold.
- : +25 armor. Unique Passive - Blocks 10% of the damage from all basic attacks. Unique Passive - Enhanced Movement: +45 movement speed. 1000 gold.
- : +70 armor, +500 health. Unique Passive – Cold Steel: If you are hit by a basic attack, you slow the attacker's attack speed by 15% and their movement speed by 10% for 1 seconds. Unique Active: Slows the movement speed of nearby enemy units by 35% for 2 seconds + 1 second for every 100 armor and magic resistance you have. 60 second cooldown. 3000 gold.
- : +45 armor, +450 health. Unique Passive: Nearby enemies suffer 40 magic damage per second. 2650 gold.
- : +50 armor. Unique Passive – Cold Steel: If you are hit by a basic attack, you slow the attacker's attack speed by 15% for 1 seconds. 1000 gold.
Variable Availability Edit
- : +20 armor, +20 attack damage, +12% life steal. Unique Passive: Your basic attacks against minions and monsters have a 20% chance to deal 200 bonus magic damage. Unique Active:A stealth-detecting mist grants vision in the target area for 10 seconds. 60 second cooldown. 1250 gold.
- : +20 armor, +50 attack damage, +12% life steal. Unique Passive - Vanquish: Basic attacks have a 20% chance to deal 100 bonus magic damage. Effect doubled for non-champions. Unique Passive - Trap Detection: Nearby stealthed enemy traps are revealed. Unique Active - Covers a target area in a stealth-detecting mist that grants vision for 10 seconds. 60 second cooldown. 2425 gold.
- : +25 armor. Unique - Maim: Your basic attacks against monsters deal 60 bonus magic damage. 700 gold.
- : +50 armor, +50 ability power, +50 magic resistance. UNIQUE Passive - Tenacity: Reduces the duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds, and immobilizes by 35%. 2300 gold.
- : +20 armor. Unique Passive - Killing a unit grants 0.5 bonus armor and ability power. This bonus stacks up to 30 times. +25 ability power. 1160 gold.
- : +100 armor. Unique Passive: On being hit by basic attacks, returns 30% of damage, before any reductions such as armor, as magic damage. 2200 gold.
- : +45 armor, +100 ability power. Unique Passive: +25% ability power. Unique Active: Places your champion into stasis for 2.5 seconds, rendering you invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any actions. 90 second cooldown. 3500 gold.
- : +25 armor, +25 attack damage, +15% life steal. Unique Passive - Maim: Basic attacks deal 100 bonus magic damage to monsters on hit. Unique: Places a Sight Ward at target location that lasts for 90 seconds. 90 seconds cooldown. (600 cast range). 2000 gold.
- : +50 armor, +120 ability power. Unique Active - Stasis: Places your champion into stasis for 2.5 seconds, rendering you invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any actions. 90 second cooldown. 3100 gold
Champion abilities Edit
Note: Only the armor buff effect of these abilities is shown here, to read more information on each of these abilities, follow the link on each of them.
- Akali's Twilight Shroud lays down a cloud of smoke for 8 seconds. While inside of the cloud, she gains 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 armor.
- Anivia's Rebirth allows her to enter an egg-state for up to 6 seconds upon reaching 0 health. While in this state, she will receive an armor modifier of / / / / .
- Annie's Molten Shield increases her armor by 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 for 5 seconds.
- Galio's Bulwark increases an allied champion's armor by 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90 for 4 seconds.
- Garen's Courage increases his armor by 20% of his bonus armor.
- Graves's True Grit increases his armor by / / every second he remains in combat. This bonus stacks up to 10 times. Graves is considered in combat if he has dealt or received damage in the last 3 seconds.
- Jarvan IV's Demacian Standard passively increases his armor by 10 / 13 / 16 / 19 / 22.
- Jax's Grandmaster's Might increases his armor by 25 / 35 / 45 (+30% bonus AD) for 8 seconds.
- Jayce's Transform: Mercury Hammer increases his armor by 5 / 15 / 25 / 35.
- Kennen's Lightning Rush increases his armor by 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 for 4 seconds.
- Leona's Eclipse increases her armor by 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 for 3 seconds, deals damage after that time to units around her, and retains the defensive buff for an additional 3 seconds if any enemy is struck by the blast.
- Malphite's Brutal Strikes increases his armor by 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% / 40% for 6 seconds.
- Mordekaiser's Creeping Death increases an allied unit's armor by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 for 6 seconds.
- Olaf's Ragnarok passively increases his armor by 10 / 20 / 30.
- Orianna's Command: Protect increases an allied champion's armor by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 for as long as the ball is attached to them.
- Poppy's Paragon of Demacia increases her armor by 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 for 5 seconds upon attacking or being hit by an enemy, stacks up to 10 times. She can also activate this ability to gain max stacks.
- Rammus's Defensive Ball Curl increases his armor by 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 for 6 seconds.
- Rengar's Battle Roar deals damage to units around him and increases his Armor by 15 / 22 / 29 / 36 / 43 for 3 seconds if an enemy is damaged by the ability.
- Sejuani's Frost Armor grants her / / / bonus armor each times she damages an enemy with an ability or attack for 2 seconds. Subsequent damage will increase the duration by 2 seconds up to a cap of 8 seconds, after where damage will refresh the duration.
- Shyvana's Dragonborn passively increases her armor by 5 / 10 / 15 / 20. This bonus is doubled while she is in Dragon Form.
- Singed's Insanity Potion increases his armor by 35 / 50 / 65 for 25 seconds.
- Sona's Aria of Perseverance:
- Aura: increases nearby allied champions' armor by 3 / 6 / 9 / 12 / 15 while active and persists for two seconds after deactivation.
- Activation: increases hers and one nearby allied champion's armor by an extra 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20 for 1 second.
- Soraka's Astral Blessing increases an allied unit's armor by 25 / 45 / 65 / 85 / 105 for 3 seconds.
- Taric's Shatter passively increases his armor by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 while the ability is not on cooldown and grants himself and nearby allied units' 12% of his armor.
- Thresh's Damnation passively generates souls for him to collect, with each soul collected granting armor permanently; each soul grants him a flat 0.75 armor.
- Trundle's Subjugate takes 40% of the target's armor and gains an equal amount of armor. Over 4 seconds, the bonus armor is doubled. The armor bonus lasts for another 4 seconds after the drain completes.
- Urgot's Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser increases his armor by 60 / 90 / 120 for 5 seconds upon activation.
- Wukong's Stone Skin passively grants him / / armor for each nearby enemy champion.
- Xerath's Ascended Form passively grants 15% of his ability power as bonus armor.
- Xin Zhao's Crescent Sweep increases his armor by 15 / 20 / 25 for each enemy champion hit for 8 seconds.
- Enchanted Armor increases bonus armor and magic resistance by 2.5% / 5%.
- Hardiness increases your champion's armor by 2 / 3.5 / 5.
- Tenacious grants your champion 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 armor and 0.5 / 1 / 1.5 / 2 magic resistance for each nearby enemy champion.
- Armor runes increase armor.
Ways to reduce armor Edit
See armor penetration. Note that armor penetration and armor reduction are different.
List of champions' armor Edit
|Champion level||Top 5||Bottom 5|
|Level 18 2||90||Maokai||12||Thresh1|
Shyvana's Dragon's Descent is an innate ability which passively increases her armor permanently, thus essentially increasing her base armor unlike most other abilities which are temporary or situational. The increase to Shyvana's armor is 5 at level 1 for a total of 21.35 and 20 at level 18 for a total of 98.3.
Jarvan IV's Demacian Standard is an ability that passively increases his armor by 22 at rank 5, giving him a total of 100.8 at level 18. This is an ranked ability and thus cannot be counted on for a bonus at level 1. However, arguments could be made that at level 18 he will have 5 ranks and thus this will increase his armor permanently.
A level 18 Malphite with 6 , 3 points in Hardiness, 3 points in Legendary Armor, 1 point in Defender, Astral Blessing, Bulwark, Aria of Perseverance, Shatter aura, aura, Glyphs and Marks of Armor, Seals and Quintessences of Scaling Armor, and Brutal Strikes enabled will give a total of approximately 1624 armor.
Having an enemy Trundle with the same setup use Subjugate on Malphite will yield a total of roughly 1770 armor. This is the highest possible finite amount of armor (without using metagame effects—see below), and reduces physical damage by 94.7%.
It is still possible to go higher through gimmicky means. If a player disconnects from the server and is in the fountain, he will gain 1000 armor. With the same setup as above, a disconnected Garen with a disconnected Taric will have approximately 2779 armor. Trundle cannot exceed this. This reduces physical damage by 96.5%.
Thresh, with his effectively infinite stacking, can obtain a maximum of 500024.75 armor off his passive alone. With the same set-up as above, he can obtain a total of about 526214 armor, reducing physical damage by 99.981%. If he disconnects, he can obtain up to 527259 armor, reducing roughly the same amount.
Master Yi pre-patch 3.10 with 1 , 3 points in Hardiness, 3 points in Legendary Armor, 1 point in Defender, Glyphs, Marks, Seals and Quintessences of Armor, Astral Blessing, Bulwark, Command: Protect, Shatter from Taric with the same runes, masteries, and , with Meditate enabled, with all champions at level 1 will give a total of approximately 273 armor. This was the highest amount of armor any champion could have at the very beginning of the game.