|"I could help you do that better."
This article may require cleanup to meet League of Legends Wiki's quality standards. Consider using more specific cleanup instructions. Please help improve this article if you can. The talk page may contain suggestions.
An autoattack (also called standard, normal, or basic attack) is the attack performed by a champion when right-clicking an enemy unit. Autoattacks are also performed by an idle champion when an enemy unit ventures too close to it, or when the "attack move" function is used (default Shift + right-click). Autoattacks are also performed by monsters, minions and turrets.
When using attack-move, the champion stops to attack any hostile that gets in their way en-route to a destination. If a champion has an attack target, they will continue to attack it if in range and will move closer to it when out of range, until either a new target is specified, a cancel order is issued (pressing the S key or by specifying another move order), or they lose vision of the target.
Minions will automatically attack their closest target by default, but may change targets in a similar manner to turrets. For more information see the behaviour of minions page.
The behavior of turrets is described on the corresponding page as well as the damage of turrets autoattacks. Turret autoattacks differ from regular autoattacks by increasing damage. (Every consecutive turret autoattack deals slightly more damage than the last)
Autoattacking while hiding in brush or fog of war will reveal the attacking unit, and if in brush specifically will reveal allies, for a few seconds. Autoattacking while in stealth mode will break the stealth.
Autoattacks always deal physical damage unless one of the following abilities is used, in which case the whole damage of the autoattack will be magic damage.
However, certain items, abilities or passives may cause them to deal additional magic damage on top of their base physical damage. Damage from autoattacks benefits from the attack damage stat on the attacker and are reduced by armor on the target.
When autoattacking a turret, the damage is based on the base attack damage added to either the bonus attack damage or 40% of a champion's ability power, depending on which one is higher. Even though it may use an ability power scaling on the auto attack, it still is entirely physical damage.
Attack Speed Edit
The rate at which a champion attacks is called attack speed and is capped at 2.5; this means that a champion can attack at most, 5 times in a 2 second period.
Some abilities refresh the attack timer and allow a champion to attack again immediately if they use the ability after their autoattack.
A list of abilities that refresh the attack timer:
- Blitzcrank's Power Fist
- Darius's Crippling Strike
- Fiora's Burst of Speed
- Gangplank's Parrrley
- Garen's Decisive Strike
- Jax's Empower
- Jayce's Hyper Charge
- Leona's Shield of Daybreak
- Mordekaiser's Mace of Spades
- Nasus's Siphoning Strike
- Nautilus's Titan's Wrath
- Nidalee's Takedown
- Poppy's Devastating Blow
- Renekton's Ruthless Predator
- Rengar's Savagery
- Rengar's Empowered Savagery
- Shyvana's Twin Bite
- Sona's Power Chord
- Talon's Noxian Diplomacy
- Teemo's Blinding Dart
- Trundle's Chomp
- Vayne's Tumble
- Vi's Excessive Force
- Volibear's Rolling Thunder
- Wukong's Crushing Blow
- Xin Zhao's Three Talon Strike
- Yorick's Omen of War
Empowered Autoattack Edit
Certain champion see their autoattack permanently empowered by their innate or abilities, such as :
- Corki's Hextech Shrapnel Shells Corki's autoattacks deal bonus true damage equal to 10% of his attack damage.
- Fizz's Seastone Trident Fizz's autoattack deal bonus magic damage equal to 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 (+ 35% AP) (+ 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8% of target's missing health) over 3 seconds.
- Nautilus's Staggering Blow Nautilus's autoattacks deal bonus physical damage equal to 2 + (6 × level) and snare his target for / / / / seconds.
- Orianna's Clockwork Windup Orianna’s autoattacks deal bonus magic damage equal to / / / / / (+ 15% AP).
- Cho'Gath's Vorpal Spikes Cho'Gath's autoattacks deal bonus magic damage equal to 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 (+ 30% AP) in a line in front of him.
- Warwick's Eternal Thirst Warwick's autoattacks deal bonus magic damage equal to / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / and heal him for the same amount.
- Miss Fortune's Impure Shots Miss Fortune's autoattacks deal extra magic damage on-hit. This damage cumulatively stacks up to 4 times on the same target if no more than 5 seconds pass between each hit for 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 (+ 5% AP) to a maximum of 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 (+ 25% AP) with full stacks.
- Teemo's Toxic Shot Teemo's autoattacks deal bonus magic damage equal to 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 (+ 30% AP) on hit and apply poison.
- Varus's Blighted Quiver Varus' basic attacks deal bonus magic damage equal to 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26 (+ 25% AP).
Certain champion see their autoattack periodically empowered by their innate or abilities, such as :
- Caitlyn's Headshot Every / / basic attack Caitlyn's next autoattack deals 150% damage to a champion or 250% damage to a minion or monster. Attacks from brush increase the attack counter by two instead of one. Headshot's counter does not increase from attacking turrets.
- Diana's Moonsilver Blade Every 3 basic attack Diana's next autoattack cleaves nearby enemies for / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / (+ 60% AP) additional magic damage.
- Kennen's Electrical Surge Every 5th autoattack will deal bonus magic damage equal to 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80% AD
- Kog'Maw's Bio-Arcane Barrage For 8 seconds, Kog'Maw's attacks gain range and deal a percentage of the target's maximum health as additional magic damage equal to 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6% (+ 1% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health. The bonus damage caps at 100 against minions and monsters.
- Nocturne's Umbra Blades Every 10 seconds Nocturne's next autoattacks are enhanced, damaging surrounding enemies for 120% of his total attack damage and healing himself for / / per enemy hit. Cooldown reduction does not affect Umbra Blades, but every basic attack reduces the cooldown by 1 second.
- Riven's Runic Blade Riven's abilities charge her blade for 5 seconds, causing her to do as bonus physical damage on her next basic attack. Riven can store up to 3 charges, and can only expend one at a time. / / / / / / % of her attack damage
- Shen's Ki Strike Every 9 seconds, Shen's next autoattack deals bonus magic damage equal to 4 + (4 × Shen's level) + (10% of Shen's bonus health) and restores / / energy to Shen. Cooldown reduction does not affect Ki Strike, but every basic attack reduces the cooldown by 1 second.
- Taric's Gemcraft After using an ability, Taric's next basic attack deals bonus magic damage equal to 30% of Taric's armor and reduces his abilities' cooldown by 2 seconds.
- Vayne's Silver Bolts Every third consecutive attack against the same target deals 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 (+ 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8% target's maximum health) true damage.
- Ziggs's Short Fuse Every 12 seconds, Ziggs' next autoattack deals 13 + ( / / / at each level) (+ 35% AP) bonus magic damage. Cooldown reduction does not affect Short Fuse, but the cooldown is reduced by 4 seconds whenever Ziggs uses an ability. Short Fuse deals 50% bonus (150% total) damage to enemy structures.
Certain champion's autoattack poison their target, such as :
- Gangplank's Grog Soaked Blade Gangplank's autoattacks apply a poison debuff for 3 seconds that can stack up to 3 times. Each stack deals 3 + (1 × level) magic damage per second and slows the target by 7%.
- Twitch's Deadly Venom Twitch's autoattacks apply a stack of Deadly Venom, up to a maximum of 6 stacks. This venom deals / / / true damage per stack, and will tick once per second for 6 seconds. Fully stacked, Deadly Venom deals / / / true damage per second for 6 seconds.
- Teemo's Toxic Shot Teemo's autoattacks apply poison which deals magic damage per second equal to 6 / 12 / 18 / 24 / 30 (+ 30% AP). Subsequent attacks do not stack the poison, but refresh the duration.
- ↑ This ability involves a casting animation which delays the next attack, making it less effective in increasing attack rate; in fact it may decrease attack rate if the champion's attack speed is sufficiently high.