An autoattack (also called a standard, normal, basic attack and also abbreviated aa) is the default means by which a unit deals damage. Champions perform autoattacks when an enemy unit is right-clicked; autoattacks are also performed by an idle champion when an enemy unit ventures too close to it, or when the "attack move" function is used (default Shift + right-click). Champions will not automatically attack units in range if the "stop" command (default S) is used. monsters and minions perform basic attacks as their only method of dealing damage. These autoattacks are similar in nature to champion basic attacks, as they deal damage based on the unit's Attack Damage (AD) and use an attack timer which is affected by Attack Speed (AS).
Autoattacking can be disabled from in-game interface in order that a champion won't start attacking without being ordered to.
Autoattacks cannot be dodged under normal circumstances. That is to say, once a basic attack has been issued from the attacker, it cannot miss the target and will follow the target despite any subsequent changes in position. Certain abilities will cause autoattacks to fail, whether by dodging, blocking, negating, missing (see: Blind) or parrying.
When using attack-move, the champion stops to attack any hostile that gets in their way en-route to a destination. If a champion has an attack target, they will continue to attack it if in range and will move closer to it when out of range, until either a new target is specified, a cancel order is issued (pressing the S key or by specifying another move order), or they lose vision of the target.
Many champions also have abilities that will affect their autoattacks in some way or form. Such abilities are treated like autoattacks and are said to apply on-hit effects.
Minions will automatically attack their closest target by default, but may change targets in a similar manner to turrets. For more information see the behavior of minions page.
The behavior of turrets is described on the corresponding page as well as the damage of turret autoattacks. Turret autoattacks differ from regular autoattacks by increasing damage. (Every consecutive turret autoattack deals slightly more damage than the last)
Autoattacks always deal physical damage unless one of the following abilities is used, in which case the whole damage of the autoattack will be magic damage.
However, certain items, abilities or passives may cause them to deal additional magic damage on top of their base physical damage. Damage from autoattacks benefits from the attack damage stat on the attacker and are reduced by armor on the target.
When autoattacking a turret, the damage is based on the base attack damage added to either the bonus attack damage or 40% of a champion's ability power, depending on which one is higher. Even though it may use an ability power scaling on the autoattack, it still is entirely physical damage.
The rate at which a champion attacks is called attack speed and is capped at 2.5; this means that a champion can attack at most, 5 times in a 2 second period.
Some abilities refresh the attack timer and allow a champion to attack again immediately if they use the ability after their autoattack.
A list of abilities that refresh the attack timer:
- Darius's Crippling Strike
- Fiora's Burst of Speed
- Gangplank's Parrrley
- Garen's Decisive Strike
- Kassadin's Nether Blade
- Jax's Empower
- Jayce's Hyper Charge
- Leona's Shield of Daybreak
- Lucian's Relentless Pursuit
- Master Yi's Meditate
- Mordekaiser's Mace of Spades
- Nasus's Siphoning Strike
- Nautilus's Titan's Wrath
- Nidalee's Takedown
- Poppy's Devastating Blow
- Rek'Sai's Queen's Wrath
- Renekton's Ruthless Predator
- Rengar's Savagery
- Rengar's Empowered Savagery
- Riven's Broken Wings
- Sejuani's Flail of the Northern Winds
- Shyvana's Twin Bite
- Sivir's Ricochet
- Sona's Power Chord
- Talon's Noxian Diplomacy
- Teemo's Blinding Dart
- Trundle's Chomp
- Vayne's Tumble
- Vi's Excessive Force
- Volibear's Rolling Thunder
- Wukong's Crushing Blow
- XinZhao's Three Talon Strike
- Yorick's Omen of War
Certain champion see their autoattack permanently empowered by their innate or abilities, such as:
- Akali's Twin Disciplines (Innate) Discipline of Force: deals bonus magic damage equal to 6% (+ 1% per 6 AP).
- Amumu's Cursed Touch (Innate) reduces the target's magic resistance by 15 / 20 / 25 for 3 seconds. This debuff refreshes with every basic attack.
- Ashe's Frost Shot (Ability) Toggle-On: slows champions by 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35%.
- ChoGath's Vorpal Spikes (Ability) Toggle-On: deal bonus magic damage equal to 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 (+ 30% AP) in a line in front of him.
- Corki's Hextech Shrapnel Shells (Innate) deal bonus true damage equal to 10% of his attack damage.
- Irelia's Hiten Style (Ability) Passive: restores 5 / 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 health.
- Jax's Relentless Assault (Innate) increases Jax's attack speed by / / / / / per basic attack and lasts for 2.5 seconds and stacks up to 6 times for a maximum of / / / / / .
- Jayce's Lightning Field (Ability) Passive: regenerates 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 / 14 mana while in Hammer Stance.
- Jinx's Switcheroo! (Ability)
- Toggle off—Pow-Pow, the minigun: grants Jinx 10 / 18.3 / 26.6 / 35 / 43.3% bonus attack speed for 2.5 seconds, stacking up to 3 times up to a 30 / 55 / 80 / 105 / 130% increase. The stacks decay one at a time when she stops attacking with her minigun.
- Toggle on—Fishbones, the rocket launcher: increases Jinx's attack range by 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 / 175 and deals 10% AD bonus physical damage, at the cost of mana per attack.
- Kassadin's Nether Blade (Ability) Passive: deals 20 (+10% AP) bonus magic damage.
- Kayle's Holy Fervor (Innate) reduces enemy champions armor and magic resistance by 3% for 5 seconds; stacks up to 5 times.
- Lulu's Pix, Faerie Companion (Innate) fires a barrage of 3 homing bolts toward the same target that deal / / / / / / / / (+ 5% AP) magic damage each to the first enemy they each hit.
- Malphite's Brutal Strikes (Ability) Passive: deal 30 / 38 / 46 / 54 / 62% AD of Malphite attack damage to enemies within 200 range of the target.
- MissFortune's Impure Shots (Ability) Passive: deal 6% AD bonus magic damage, stacking cumulatively up to 5 times, for a maximum of 30% AD bonus magic damage. The stack limit increases by 1 for each rank on Bullet Time, for a maximum of bonus magic damage. / / % AD
- Orianna's Clockwork Windup (Innate) deals bonus magic damage equal to / / / / / (+ 15% AP) that stacks up to 2 times dealing a maximum of / / / / / (+ 21% AP).
- Shaco's Backstab (Innate) deals 20% bonus damage when striking a unit from behind.
- Shaco's Two-Shiv Poison (Ability) Passive: reduces enemy movement speed by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30% for 2 seconds. It also gives affected non-champion units a 20 / 22.5 / 25 / 27.5 / 30% chance to miss their attacks.
- Sivir's Fleet of Foot (Innate) increases Sivir's movement speed by / / / / for 2 seconds.
- Talon's Mercy (Innate) deals 10% additional damage to any target that is slowed, stunned, immobilized or suppressed.
- Teemo's Toxic Shot (Ability) deals bonus magic damage equal to 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 (+ 30% AP) on hit.
- Thresh's Flay (Ability) Passive: deals Souls + up to 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 / 200% AD bonus magic damage. This value is equal to the total number of souls collected, plus a percentage of his attack damage based on the amount of time since his last attack.
- Udyr's Tiger Stance (Ability) Persistent Effect: deals bonus physical damage equal to 15% of his attack damage.
- Varus's Blighted Quiver (Ability) deals bonus magic damage equal to 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26 (+ 25% AP).
- Volibear's Frenzy (Ability) Passive: increases Volibear's attack speed by 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20% per basic attack and lasts for 4 seconds and stacks up to 3 times for a maximum of 24 / 33 / 42 / 51 / 60%.
- Warwick's Eternal Thirst (Innate) deals bonus magic damage equal to / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / (2.5 + / at each level) and heals him for the same amount. Each successive attack against the same target will stack this amount of healing and damage up to a maximum of 3 stacks. The stacks remain for 4 seconds.
- Xin Zhao's Challenge (Innate) reduces the target's armor by 15% for 3 seconds. Only one target can be affected by Challenge at any time.
Certain champion see their autoattack periodically empowered by their innate or abilities, such as:
- Aatrox's Blood Thirst (Ability)
- Toggle-Off: Aatrox heals 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 (+25% bonus AD) himself on every third attack. If Aatrox is below 50% health he will heal for three times as much.
- Toggle-On: Aatrox deals 60 / 95 / 130 / 165 / 200 (+100% bonus AD) bonus physical damage on every third attack at the cost of 15 / 23.75 / 32.5 / 41.25 / 50 (+25% bonus AD) health.
- Caitlyn's Headshot (Innate) Every / / basic attack Caitlyn's next autoattack deals 150% damage to a champion or 250% damage to a minion or monster. Attacks from brush increase the attack counter by two instead of one. Headshot's counter does not increase from attacking turrets.
- Diana's Moonsilver Blade (Innate) Every 3 basic attack Diana's next autoattack cleaves nearby enemies for / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / (+ 60% AP) additional magic damage.
- Fizz's Seastone Trident (Ability) Active: For the next 5 seconds, Fizz's attacks deal 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 (+ 15% AP) additional magic damage on-hit and applying Grievous Wounds for 3 seconds.
- Irelia's Hiten Style (Ability) Active: For 6 seconds, Irelia's attacks restore 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26 health and deal 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 as additional true damage.
- Jarvan IV's Martial Cadence (Innate) Jarvan IV's first attack on a target deals 6 / 8 / 10% of their current health as bonus physical damage. This caps at 400 damage. This effect cannot occur on the same target more than once every 6 seconds.
- Jax's Grandmaster's Might (Ability) Passive: Jax deals 100 / 160 / 220 / (+ 70% AP) additional magic damage on every third basic attack. The counter will reset if he does not attack for 2.5 seconds.
- Jayce's Hyper Charge (Ability) Active: For his next 3 attacks / for 4 seconds, Jayce gains the max amount of attack speed (2.5 attacks per second). These attacks deal 70 / 85 / 100 / 115 / 130% damage.
- Kayle's Righteous Fury (Ability) For 10 seconds, Kayle's attacks gain 400 range and deal 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 (+ 40% AP) additional magic damage.
- Kennen's Electrical Surge (Ability) Every 5th autoattack will deal bonus magic damage equal to 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80% AD.
- Kha'Zix's Unseen Threat (Innate) causes his next basic attack against an enemy champion to deal / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / (10 + / / / at each level) (+ 50% AP) bonus magic damage and slow by 25% for 2 seconds. Unseen Threat triggers when Kha'Zix is not visible to the enemy team.
- KogMaw's Bio-Arcane Barrage (Ability) For 8 seconds, Kog'Maw's attacks gain 130 / 150 / 170 / 190 / 210 range and deal a percentage of the target's maximum health as additional magic damage equal to 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6% (+ 1% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health. The bonus damage caps at 100 against minions and monsters.
- Lucian's Lightslinger (Innate) After using an ability, Lucian's next autoattack within 6 seconds will strike twice. The second shot deals 50% of Lucian's AD, fully applies on-hit effects and can critically strike. Minions and monsters take full damage from the second shot.
- Master Yi's Double Strike (Innate) Every 4th consecutive autoattack, Master Yi strikes twice. The second attack uses an attack damage modifier of 50%, but applies on-hit effects fully and can critically strike. Double Strike's counter resets if Master Yi has not autoattacked in the last 4 seconds.
- MissFortune's Impure Shots (Ability) Active: For 6 seconds, Miss Fortune's attacks apply Grievous Wounds for 2 seconds.
- Nami's Tidecaller's Blessing (Ability) Empowers an allied champion for 6 seconds or until they have attacked 3 times. During this time, their basic attacks deal 25 / 40 / 55 / 70 / 85 (+ 20% AP) bonus magic damage and slow the target hit by 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35% (+ 5% per 100 AP) for 1 second.
- Nautilus's Staggering Blow (Innate) deals bonus physical damage equal to 2 + (6 × level) and snare his target for / / / / seconds. This effect cannot trigger on the same target more than once every 12 seconds.
- Nocturne's Umbra Blades (Innate) Every 10 seconds Nocturne's next autoattacks are enhanced, damaging surrounding enemies for 120% of his total attack damage and healing himself for / / per enemy hit. Cooldown reduction does not affect Umbra Blades, but every basic attack reduces the cooldown by 1 second.
- Quinn's Harrier (Innate) Valor periodically marks a nearby enemy with Vulnerability for 4.5 seconds. If Quinn attacks a Vulnerable enemy, she deals / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / (+ 50% bonus AD) bonus physical damage. This cannot occur again for 10 seconds, or 3 seconds if Quinn triggers the vulnerability.
- Sona's Power Chord (Innate) After 3 ability casts, Sona's next basic attack will deal / / / / / / / / / / / / (+ 20% AP) bonus magic damage, with an additional effect depending on the last basic ability cast.
- Riven's Runic Blade (Innate) Riven's abilities charge her blade for 5 seconds, causing her to do as bonus physical damage on her next basic attack. Riven can store up to 3 charges, and can only expend one at a time. / / / / / / % of her attack damage
- Rumble's Junkyard Titan (Innate) When Rumble reaches 100 Heat he overheats for 6 seconds. While overheated Rumble cannot use his own spells, but his basic attacks deal an additional 20 + (5 × level) (+ 25% AP) magic damage. Rumble's Heat is reset to 0 after the overheat effect ends.
- Shen's Ki Strike (Innate) Every 9 seconds, Shen's next autoattack deals bonus magic damage equal to 4 + (4 × Shen's level) + (10% of Shen's bonus health) and restores / / energy to Shen. Cooldown reduction does not affect Ki Strike, but every basic attack reduces the cooldown by 1 second.
- Sivir's Ricochet (Ability) Sivir's next 3 basic attacks bounce to nearby enemies, dealing 50 / 55 / 60 / 65 / 70% bonus attack damage to each additional enemy hit. There is no limit on how many enemies that can be hit, but each enemy unit can only be hit once per attack.
- Taric's Gemcraft (Innate) After using an ability, Taric's next basic attack deals bonus magic damage equal to 30% of Taric's armor and reduces his abilities' cooldown by 2 seconds.
- Tristana's Explosive Shot (Ability) Active: Rends the target enemy with shrapnel, reducing healing and health regeneration by 50% and dealing 110 / 150 / 190 / 230 / 270 (+ 100% AP) magic damage over 5 seconds.
- Twisted Fate's Stacked Deck (Ability) Every 4th basic attack Twisted Fate's next autoattack deals 55 / 80 / 105 / 130 / 155 (+ 40% AP) bonus magic damage.
- Udyr's Phoenix Stance (Ability) Persistent Effect: deals 40 / 80 / 120 / 160 / 200 (+ 45% AP) for the first strike and every third strike after.
- Vayne's Silver Bolts (Ability) Every third consecutive attack against the same target deals 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 (+ 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8% target's maximum health) true damage.
- Vi's Denting Blows (Ability) Every third attack on the same target deals 4 / 5.5 / 7 / 8.5 / 10% (+(1% per 35 bonus AD) of target's max health) additional physical damage equal to a percentage of the target's maximum health, reduces the target's armor by 20%, and grants Vi 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% bonus attack speed for 4 seconds. Denting Blows deals a maximum of 300 damage against minions and monsters.
- Volibear's Thunder Claws (Ability) Active: For the next 12 seconds, Volibear's autoattacks will blast his target with lightning that will also bounce to up to 3 nearby enemies within 300 range. Each bolt of lightning will deal 75 / 115 / 155 (+ 30% AP) magic damage and will only hit each target once per autoattack.
- Xerath's Mana Surge (Innate) Every 12 seconds, Xerath's next basic attack will restore / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / (27 + / / / / at each level) mana. The amount of mana restored is doubled if the attack target is a champion.
- Xin Zhao's Battle Cry (Ability) Passive: Xin Zhao heals 26 / 32 / 38 / 44 / 50 (+ 70% AP) himself on every third basic attack.
- Zed's Contempt for the Weak (Innate) Zed's basic attacks against targets below 50% health deal as bonus magic damage. This effect can only occur once every 10 seconds on the same target. / / % of the target's maximum health
- Ziggs's Short Fuse (Innate) Every 12 seconds, Ziggs' next autoattack deals 13 + ( / / / at each level) (+ 35% AP) bonus magic damage. Cooldown reduction does not affect Short Fuse, but the cooldown is reduced by 4 seconds whenever Ziggs uses an ability. Short Fuse deals 50% bonus (150% total) damage to enemy structures.
Damage over Time (DoT)
Certain champion's autoattack apply a dot effect on their target, such as:
- Darius's Hemorrhage (Innate) applies a stack of Hemorrhage, up to a maximum of 5 stacks. This bleed deals / / / / / / / / (+ 30% bonus AD) magic damage per stack, and will tick once per second for 5 seconds. Fully stacked, Hemorrhage deals / / / / / / / / (+ 150% bonus AD) magic damage per second for 5 seconds.
- Fizz's Seastone Trident (Ability) deals bonus magic damage equal to 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 (+ 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8% of target's missing health) over 3 seconds. This debuff refreshes with every basic attack.
- Gangplank's Grog Soaked Blade (Innate) applies a dot for 3 seconds that can stack up to 3 times. Each stack deals 3 + (1 × level) magic damage per second and slows the target by 7%.
- Nautilus's Titan's Wrath (Ability) Nautilus gains a shield that absorbs a certain amount of damage. The shield dissipates after 10 seconds if not already destroyed. While the shield persists, Nautilus's basic attacks are enhanced to debuff all enemies within 175 range of his target, dealing 40 / 55 / 70 / 85 / 100 (+ 40% AP) bonus magic damage over 2 seconds. This debuff refreshes with every basic attack.
- Teemo's Toxic Shot (Ability) applies a poison which deals magic damage per second equal to 6 / 12 / 18 / 24 / 30 (+ 30% AP). Subsequent attacks do not stack the poison, but refresh the duration.
- Twitch's Deadly Venom (Innate) applies a stack of Deadly Venom, up to a maximum of 6 stacks. This poison deals / / / true damage per stack, and will tick once per second for 6 seconds. Fully stacked, Deadly Venom deals / / / true damage per second for 6 seconds.
- ↑ This ability involves a casting animation which delays the next attack, making it less effective in increasing attack rate; in fact it may decrease attack rate if the champion's attack speed is sufficiently high.