with Runic Affinity
The Crest of Cinders is a neutral buff available on Summoner's Rift. The buff can be identified by spinning red runes and a red runed circle around the champion. Because of this it is often referred to as the "red buff" or just "red". The damage dealt is true damage. This makes it valuable in killing champions who have high armor and magic resistance.
How to obtain
- On Summoner's Rift, by killing the Red Brambleback.
- By killing a champion that currently possess this buff. In this case, the duration of the buff is refreshed.
- As of V18.104.22.168, the red buff slows 8 / 16 / 24% for melee characters and 5 / 10 / 15% for ranged characters at levels 1 / 6 / 11. This makes the buff more effective when utilized by melee characters such as Xin Zhao, Udyr, or Tryndamere than it does for ranged attackers such as Tristana and Ezreal. Note however that it is easier for ranged champions to apply the slow without getting in dangerous situations and they can also use it to keep melee attackers at a distance.
- The jungler will most likely take the red buff early in the game.
- The extra damage lets the jungler clear minion packs easier and take on bigger monsters like the Dragon.
- The slow from the buff is extremely valuable for the jungler to successfully execute a gank and is also useful for kiting monsters to reduce damage.
- Increasing attack speed does not increase true damage dealt by the red buff, as the damage is applied as a non-stacking damage over time effect.
- Syndra's Force of Will can be used on the Red Brambleback to quickly apply the debuff to a nearby enemy champion.