|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Mana Barrier can be a great source of survivability if itemized for, and its low cooldown ensures it is almost always up for skirmishes.
- Rocket Grab is Blitzcrank's signature skill, with immense utility when used well.
- Rocket Grab has a distinctive cast sound; try casting it out of enemy sight to avoid them hearing it.
- Aim your shots from unexpected angles to increase their chances of landing, such as through an enemy minion about to die.
- Blitzcrank can allow your team to invade the enemy jungle at the start of the match due to the threat you pose with Rocket Grab.
- With perfect warding placement at your enemies tribush or jungle, Rocket Grab can be used to steal, or to get a kill with your team mates.
- Avoid hitting certain champions that would benefit from getting pulled into your team as a free initiation, such as Amumu, Galio, or Karthus.
- If you are about to grab an enemy with silencing effects, you may want to activate Power Fist before the grab to ensure the combo.
- At level 2, Rocket Grab and Power Fist's crowd control can easily help your lane get kills. You can also use this combination to punish enemies who towerdive.
- Use Overdrive to get Blitzcrank on top of priority targets to lock them down with Power Fist.
- Static Field's passive damage is deceptively high over the course of a fight, so try to not use the active until necessary.
- You will want to use Static Field's active when you can hit most of the enemy team, when the silence is needed to interrupt an enemy channeled spell, or when it can finish off a foe.
- Note that the active has longer range than the passive, and is on a very low cooldown for an ultimate.
- If you know that an enemy champion plans to dodge your Rocket Grab with Flash or a dash ability, activate Static Field to silence them before grabbing.
- Alternately you can activate Static Field after using your grab to prevent them from flashing away or using another escape.
- You can stand in front of enemy minions where the enemy thinks they are safe, and then use Static Field to clear the minion wave and use Rocket Grab.
- Blitzcrank players will generally want to max their Overdrive and Power Fist as priorities; Rocket Grab does its job at rank 1 by pulling enemies into Blitzcrank's melee range, where his other two basic abilities make him very difficult to escape.
- If your team has long-range crowd control such as Morgana's Dark Binding, it can sometimes pay off to put points into Rocket Grab to greatly increase the damage, as well as a much-desired cooldown decrease.
- As support you will want to either max Rocket Grab or Overdrive first. Rocket Grab should be maxed for shorter cooldowns and higher damage, and Overdrive should be maxed if you need to move faster. Maxing Overdrive first means you can skip boots early, and go for your GP/10 items faster. Maxing Power Fist on support Blitzcrank is almost useless, since you won't build AD, and it only shortens the cooldown.
- When playing support Blitzcrank against a squishy bot laner or a bot laner with low CC, you can walk up to the enemy AD carry or support instead of initiating with Rocket Grab. This can be done by activating Overdrive and using Power Fist when you are in range of your target. Then when your target tries to escape, use Rocket Grab to pull the target back in. This is almost always a secure kill, or at least a force of the enemy's summoner spells. When you do this, make sure your AD carry follows up. If your AD carry doesn't go in with you, you will most likely lose the trade and maybe even die.
- Wards are a very good early-game choice for Blitzcrank, allowing him to be able to cast Rocket Grab at an enemy in a warded bush.
- Stacking mana with items like and will increase the effectiveness of his Mana Barrier.
- Blitzcrank can be effective at tank, DPS, and support roles. A tank should get items that give mana and survivability, a DPS should get and (and later a , ), and a support should get cooldown reduction to put out as much crowd control as possible.
- Building Blitzcrank as a support consider getting as it will moderately boost your supporting capabilities.
- synergizes with Blitzcrank extremely well. It increases his attack damage, and the potential 1000 mana increases the effectiveness of Mana Barrier. This item is universal in nearly every Blitzcrank build.
- toggle affects the passive portion of Static Field - each bolt deals bonus damage and consumes mana.
- Alternatively, can be replaced with and on an AP/Tank hybrid with other AP + HP items such as and .
- , and later can greatly increase the damage output of Blitzcrank's standard combo, as well as increase the strength of his Power Fist and Mana Barrier.
- Another option to consider on a DPS build is (and later ) as the passive shield can synergize well with Blitzcrank's passive Mana Barrier.
- is a good item for a Tanky-Support Blitzcrank, as it provides mana for your and Mana Barrier, and also helps reduce enemy marksman's dps with the unique aura. This gives increased survivability (from the armor, and synergy with Mana Barrier), decent amounts of attack damage, and helpful cooldown reduction.
- Since Blitzcrank has trouble farming for gold, can be used as a cheap and effective way to increase his survivability and usefulness to his team, especially if he's being built as a tanky-support role.
- and can help increase his gold income when played as a support role due to the passive and also provides good sustain and much needed cooldown reduction.
- can help you and your lane partner sustain well against a lane with a healing support. can be useful when the enemy team has two or more assassins that would generally dive onto carries of the team. The shield also does a moderate amount of damage if used on a carry.
- Staying behind minions is a great way to protect yourself against Blitzcrank's Rocket Grab during the laning phase.
- It is possible to dodge a Rocket Grab by moving perpendicular to the extended arm as it launches, causing it to miss you.
- Be wary of Blitzcrank's location when he is in the bushes. He will more than likely try to initiate with Rocket Grab.
- Grabbing a ward for vision in the brush counters this tactic well.
- The projectile always starts from his right hand. Try using this information to your advantage.
- When fighting a support Blitzcrank, his damage will be much lower than his allied AD carry. Don't be afraid to force a fight if he has used Rocket Grab and/or Power Fist recently.
- Be careful not to over-commit when attacking Blitzcrank. He will gain shield through his Mana Barrier when his health gets low. This can either result in Blitzcrank managing to escape from or kill you.
- Some bottom picks, such as Ezreal, Taric or Sivir effectively counter Blitzcrank by being able to avoid or block his Rocket Grab or by being tankier and harder hitting than he is; study what champions counter and suffer against Blitzcrank to better your laning phase.
- Save your channeled spells as Static Field will briefly silence you and end your channeled spell.
- Beware of Blitzcrank trying to bait you. Be sure you know his Mana Barrier is not up before you chase him down.
- Champions that can poke well without putting themselves in much danger, such as Varus or Caitlyn are able to harass while being considerably safer from Rocket Grab than others.
- When Blitzcrank goes for an unexpected grab, usually his allies are close by. Use this to your advantage and have teammates purposefully get pulled and have teammates follow the initiate as usually the enemies swarm the person getting grabbed.