The skin line was born when featured in the Journal of Justice (Issue 22: Ionia Celebrates Annual Festival of Fire).
An ancient cult, seeking irresistible power, surfaces on nights of the Blood Moon to perform profane, esoteric rites—merging their flesh with demonic spirits, and becoming one with an ever greater darkness.
- Blood Moon Cultists
- Priestesses of the Blood Moon walk their own path, traveling far from the cult to pursue the whispers of their demons. A meditative figure living eep in the snow-dusted wood, Akali was the first woman to embrace her inner darkness, and speak directly with the Blood Moon itself.
- A child chosen by the Blood Moon itself, Diana's mind has been opened to the lost ways of the cult—unknown to its leaders, and even the slavering demons beyond. Hers is a truth no one can know, and a fated metamorphosis beyond men and gods.
- A revered priestess of the Blood Moon cult, Elise has so wholly intertwined her body with her demon spirit that they are now a single entity. She has traveled beyond all known civilization, existing in the apocryphal darkness hanging beyond the precipice of the world.
- A seductive demon summoned on the night of the Blood Moon, Evelynn moves between isolated villages, wooing the residents until they fall deeply in love with her. One by one these poor souls will surely perish, their hearts torn from their still-living bodies.
- Ink-mage, trained assassin, master of ceremonies: Jhin is all this and more, a grandiose figure whose encyclopedic knowledge of centuries-old rituals fuels the Blood Moon's hellish summoning rites. He knows the name of every demon, and how to direct them into a still-living vessel.
- A demon of vengeance summoned on the night of the Blood Moon, Kalista's singular obsession with 'betrayers' knows no limits—any deception, no matter how trivial, will be met with death. Her victims are left hanging from the walls of their homes, a warning to those who remain.
- A kingslaying demon summoned on the night of the Blood Moon, Kennen's purpose is to depose those in power and eliminate every member of their line. He is ruthless in this task, tearing across heavily armed fortress cities in the blink of an eye.
- The most indomitable disciple, in mind and body, Shen's loyalty to the Blood Moon cult can never be shaken. He serves as the personal bodyguard of the group's most important figures, executing interlopers with a cool dispassion, suggesting part of his humanity has already been consumed.
- An anarchic demon summoned on the night of the Blood Moon, Talon was once a human assassin who surrendered his flesh during one of the cult's possession rituals. He now kills indiscriminately, relishing the terror in his victim's dying eyes.
- A demon summoned on the night of the Blood Moon, Thresh's insatiable urge to torture and kill is fueled by thousands of vengeful spirits drawn to his lantern. Entire villages are left slaughtered in his wake, their blood staining the land for decades.
- The Blood Moon cult's true leader is shrouded in whispers and hearsay. It is he who first passed the trial of the masks, and he who unraveled the secrets of surrendering one's flesh to the demon spirits. Whether he is still human, none can say—but he is ever present, and always watching.
- Ceremonial executioner of the Blood Moon cult, Yasuo's blade is inhabited by an insidious, bloodthirsty demon whose hunger for death can never be satisfied. This suits Yasuo well, for he is possessed of an inner darkness even deeper than the creature whispering at his side.
- Manipulating the lunar cycle by fueling his temporal magic with human blood, Zilean is the face of the Blood Moon cult, and a hellish warlock of unimaginable power. His mind exists across the flow of time, communing with legions of demons from the past, present, and future.
The Bloody Tale
She woke up screaming.
Red. Everything had been so red. And in the center of the bloodbath, the masked warriors had danced, eyes aglow with murderous intent. Good night, their eyes had whispered.
Her companions crowded around her, worried. Behind them, the fire burned low. Above them, thick clouds suffocated the sky.
"What did you see?"
She paused. Did she dare call on those apparitions? "Just... a bad dream. It was only a dream."
They returned to their slumber, and she sighed, still shaken. "It was only a dream", she repeated.
A sudden wind shook the trees around the site. She shivered, closing her eyes and wishing for morning.
As the clouds parted above, red moonlight bloodied the ground.
- The Blood Moon theme shares a lot of similarities to most of the Shadow Isles thematic, but with an Ionian twist.