Blue Essence ( BE) is one of the primary currencies used to unlock League of Legends content, the other being Riot Points. Blue Essence can be obtained by disenchanting champion shards contained in champion capsules that are awarded when leveling up.
Blue Essence Use
- Blue Essence is used to:
- Purchase champions (through the Store, or with champions shards).
- Purchase Hextech Crafting mystery champion shards.
- Purchase additional rune pages.
- Upgrade a champion mastery to level 6 or 7.
- Purchase chromas whenever they're on sale.
- Purchase exclusive content in the Essence Emporium.
- Change your summoner name.
Acquiring Blue Essence
- Starting from summoner level 5, champion capsules are awarded at level ups and contain champion shards that can be disenchanted to obtain BE, activated to have a 7 days rental, or upgraded to permanently unlock the champion.
- The total BE awarded from a capsule has set probabilities, with a minimum of 820 and a maximum of 1260.   
- Each shard can be disenchanted for 20% of the champion's purchase cost as BE. Upgrading a shard costs 60% of the champion's purchase cost as BE.
|Shop value ( Blue Essence)||Disenchant value ( Blue Essence)||Upgrade cost ( Blue Essence)|
First Win of the day
Blue essences can also be obtained with the First Win of the Day mission which grants 50 and 400 XP.