|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
|"Submit to my designs."
- Take advantage of Headshot for harassing enemy champions.
- Caitlyn is superior in side lanes as the brush makes her passive, Headshot, more effective.
- It is not recommended to harass enemies with Piltover Peacemaker since it drains mana too quickly and has a distinct channeling animation, allowing it to be dodged.
- It is easier to hit with Piltover Peacemaker when inside brush because enemies cannot see the one-second warning before the shot.
- Piltover Peacemaker will push the lane and leveling it early increases the pressure on your lane.
- During the laning phase, place a Yordle Snap Trap in side routes and bushes to deny the enemy team the use of those bushes.
- It is also a good idea to set up Yordle Snap Trap by placing all 3 in a straight line within the lane to limit your opponent's mobility.
- If any enemies were to step into them by mistake or they walk through the small passages between the Yordle Snap Trap, this allows an easy setup with Piltover Peacemaker or Headshot.
- If you place a Yordle Snap Trap on top of an enemy ward, then the ward will become visible once again for a short period when the enemy champ steps on that trap.
- Yordle Snap Trap is better than Piltover Peacemaker as a first skill due to its utility, and allows for Caitlyn to dominate her lane. Piltover Peacemaker is easy to juke, but if an enemy steps on a trap, you can get off some free damage on them.
- By starting off with Yordle Snap Trap you can assist your jungler by placing Yordle Snap Traps at common jungle locations; this can be used to help your jungler counter-jungle.
- When in team fights, placing a Yordle Snap Trap in front of enemies or behind them can help your team escape if losing or capture fleeing enemies.
- When fighting against Sivir, your Yordle Snap Trap will be less effective due to her Spell Shield. She will often run into the trap with her Spell Shield activated to give her mana, but that will make her vulnerable to Ace in the Hole since Spell Shield will be on cooldown.
- To counter an enemy Pantheon or Twisted Fate using their ultimate, place a Yordle Snap Trap in the center of the circle where he will land, snaring and effectively crippling him.
- This is also effective against targets that are re-spawning with the Yordle Snap Trap under them helps to secure the kill. buff, placing
- You can fire 90 Caliber Net away from opponents to close the gap when chasing.
- Inversely, it can be used as an escaping tool as well, slowing the opponent and propelling you away.
- 90 Caliber Net's recoil will immediately stop you when you hit terrain that is too thick to move through.
- Caitlyn can use 90 Caliber Net to hop over thin walls in the jungle, creating a quick escape route out of dangerous situations. She also can use this functionality to pursue enemies effectively. As it uses a bit of mana and has a long cooldown, it should be used with caution.
- One useful combo that combines 90 Caliber Net and Piltover Peacemaker is to fire your 90 Caliber Net at a champion, and instantly firing your Piltover Peacemaker at them. If done correctly, 90 Caliber Net will shoot and Caitlyn will fly backwards, but Piltover Peacemaker will fire from where you fired 90 Caliber Net. The 90 Caliber Net will slow the enemy movement, making Piltover Peacemaker easier to land. You can combo this with Ace in the Hole for a devastating effect. This is mostly easily done with smartcast on.
- Avoid using Ace in the Hole in large team clashes as it might be blocked by another enemy champion. The cast also cancels if the target dies prematurely.
- Using Ace in the Hole at an angle that the enemy team would not expect makes it more difficult for it to be blocked.
- When an enemy flees at low health, you can finish them off with Ace in the Hole. However, remember that it can be intercepted, so try to find a clear shot first.
- Ace in the Hole requires vision of the enemy to cast. Having an ally with Clairvoyance can help finish off low-health enemies.
- Because Yordle Snap Trap grants vision of an enemy who steps on it, be sure to place them strategically and keep an eye on them. You may be able to get a surprise Ace in the Hole off someone who triggers it in the bush or jungle, allowing you to either hurt them to prevent a gank or finish them off if they fled to the jungle.
Caitlyn is a marksman with extremely long range in both her abilities and her basic attack. Owing to the truest purpose of a marksman, Caitlyn provides long-range interdiction from behind the safety of her team's vanguard but she can also set up ambushes on her own as well as safely and quickly escape them. Her strongest build attributes are attack damage, critical strike chance, and attack speed.
- A Caitlyn, as for most marksmen, and will allow her to establish lane dominance early on. There is little reason to start with any other item as she has the range to make full use of its attack damage and life steal early on. is a standard starting item for
- Like most auto-attack reliant marksmen since the ADC itemization changes in V4.10, Caitlyn should be striving for an early . While the item itself is expensive for a first item, the attack damage, critical chance, and 50% increased critical damage will complement her poke damage and set her up for the end of the laning phase. In particular, if Caitlyn manages to land both a critical strike and proc a Headshot with an , she can even deal "burst damage" with a single auto-attack.
- For this reason, attack damage will strengthen her auto-attacks and her Piltover Peacemaker and will be her first power spike in the laning phase. should be highly sought as her first major buy to emphasize her strong early game. The
- At any time before Caitlyn is able to finish an , a second or early can provide early sustain before continuing on its build path.
- Caitlyn, as she has low base attack speed, and will help cushion her weak midgame until she has built a major attack speed item.
should be the core boots of choice for
- The Caitlyn kite and chase more effectively. enchantment is a standard choice for most marksmen and will help
- Building one or two items that focus on attack speed, will charge Headshot faster, improving her damage in the later part of the game.
- Caitlyn, as with most physical DPS champions. is especially useful as
- gives her inferior stats, but greater waveclear and at a lower price.
- Caitlyn get Headshot procs three times faster, but gives few useful stats. It is worth noting that auto-attacking in brush with the item will allow Caitlyn to proc Headshots every other auto-attack. Despite this, may be a weaker alternative to or overall. lets
- A Caitlyn has finished building a major attack damage and attack speed item, especially when an enemy has one inkling of an armor item. In circumstances where the enemy team is not building armor, a second major attack damage item can also be built before . should be bought for the armor penetration only when
- life steal in addition to a passive shield, which may help in mid-lategame skirmishes, when stray abilities can poke her down, or extended team fights. gives a high amount of
- Caitlyn increased dueling and chasing capability, as well as higher damage to health tanks such as Dr. Mundo. gives
- Warwick's Infinite Duress or Zed's Death Mark. This can also function as a defensive item. may be a worthwhile buy starting in the midgame to cleanse certain abilities such as
- In many situations, an ADC should be able to build one defensive item after their core items are built:
- Caitlyn against reset-reliant assassins, such as Katarina and Akali, and/or give her a second life after a teamfight. will help
- A Blitzcrank or Thresh. can be built if the enemy has strong grab potential, for example
- If the enemy team is prone to being kited, a Caitlyn's long range by keeping enemy assassins, fighters, and tanks at arm's length. can help accentuate
- Unlike most carries, Caitlyn has very high attack damage early-game due to her superior range and Headshot passive, that allows her to harass her enemies, whittling down and possibly forcing them out of lane out of fear of getting killed by Caitlyn's Ace in the Hole.
- Caitlyn can win a lane through denying enemy carries from farming, but does not have a "steroid" ability. Supports that can zone her, such as Alistar, Janna, Lux are an effective counter.
- Caitlyn is well known for being an unusually strong ADC early on and severely shuts down weak starters like Kog'Maw, however in comparison to most of the other ADC she becomes weak by the late-game.
- Be aware of where Caitlyn's traps are as Yordle Snap Trap + Piltover Peacemaker combo is devastating early game.
- Effective for preventing Caitlyn getting kills with Ace in the Hole are supports, such as Alistar, Kayle, Lulu, Soraka, that can interrupt her ultimate or help the targeted ally :
- Alistar, Lulu, Soraka can interrupt it respectively with - Pulverize and Headbutt, Whimsy, Equinox.
- Alistar also can intercept the ultimate even at low health and survive it with his Unbreakable Will.
- Additionally Lulu's Wild Growth and Help, Pix!, Kayle's Divine Blessing, Soraka's Astral Infusion and Wish can provide the target with just enough health to survive.
- Perhaps most effective is Kayle's Intervention as it will completely nullify the damage of Ace in the Hole.