|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
|"Submit to my designs."
- Champion Spotlight
- Recommended Items
- Playing as Caitlyn
- Make use of her Yordle Snap Traps by placing them pre-emptively to ensure that you'll have one off of cooldown during combat.
- Avoid using Ace in the Hole in large team melees as it might be blocked by the wrong target.
- Fire 90 Caliber Net away from the opponent to close the gap or hop over walls.
- Playing Against Caitlyn
- Keep behind allied minions if Caitlyn is harassing you with Piltover Peacemaker (it deals less damage with each subsequent target).
- You can intercept Ace in the Hole's missile from hitting an ally if you stand in its path.
- Ability Usage
- Take advantage of Headshot for harassing enemy champions.
- Caitlyn is superior in side lanes as the brush makes her passive, Headshot, more effective.
- It is not recommended to harass enemies with Piltover Peacemaker since it drains mana too quickly and has a distinct channeling animation, allowing it to be dodged. Additionally, the skillshot is very narrow until it hits something, making it harder to aim it.
- Setting down a Yordle Snap Trap will allow you to fire it through a minion wave, since enemies affected by it will take the full damage even if the skillshot passes through a full minion wave.
- It is easier to hit with Piltover Peacemaker when inside brush because enemies cannot see the one-second warning before the shot.
- Piltover Peacemaker will push the lane and leveling it early increases the pressure on your lane.
- During the laning phase, placing down Yordle Snap Traps in side routes and bushes denies the enemy team the use of those bushes.
- Use Yordle Snap Trap to zone out the enemy team. Placing down multiple traps in different areas will allow you to control the lane.
- Stepping on a Yordle Snap Trap allows an easy setup with Piltover Peacemaker or Headshot.
- If you place a Yordle Snap Trap on top of an enemy ward, then the ward will become visible once again for a short period when the enemy champion steps on that trap.
- Yordle Snap Trap is better than Piltover Peacemaker as a first skill due to its utility, and allows for Caitlyn to dominate her lane. Piltover Peacemaker is easy to juke, but if an enemy steps on a trap, you can get off some free damage on them.
- By starting off with Yordle Snap Trap you can assist your jungler by placing Yordle Snap Traps at common jungle locations; this can be used to help your jungler counter-jungle.
- When in team fights, placing a Yordle Snap Trap in front of enemies or behind them can help your team escape if losing or capture fleeing enemies.
- When fighting against Sivir, Yordle Snap Trap will be less effective due to her Spell Shield. She will often run into the trap with her Spell Shield activated to give her mana, but that will make her vulnerable to other abilities since Spell Shield will be on cooldown.
- To counter an enemy Pantheon or Twisted Fate using their ultimate, place a Yordle Snap Trap in the center of the circle where he will land, snaring and effectively crippling him.
- This is also effective against targets that are re-spawning with the Yordle Snap Trap under them helps to secure the kill. buff - placing
- You can fire 90 Caliber Net away from opponents to close the gap when chasing.
- Inversely, it can be used as an escaping tool as well, slowing the opponent and propelling you away.
- 90 Caliber Net's recoil will immediately stop you when you hit terrain that is too thick to move through.
- Caitlyn can use 90 Caliber Net to hop over thin walls in the jungle, creating a quick escape route out of dangerous situations. She also can use this functionality to pursue enemies effectively. As it uses a bit of mana and has a long cooldown, it should be used with caution.
- Since the V5.22 update, firing and successfully landing a 90 Caliber Net will allow you to land a long range Headshot on your opponent. This also works with Piltover Peacemaker, since the slow debuff will also cause them to take full damage.
- Avoid using Ace in the Hole in large team clashes as it might be blocked by another enemy champion. The cast also cancels if the target dies prematurely.
- Using Ace in the Hole at an angle that the enemy team would not expect makes it more difficult for it to be blocked.
- When an enemy flees at low health, you can finish them off with Ace in the Hole. However, remember that it can be intercepted, so try to find a clear shot first.
- Ace in the Hole requires vision of the enemy to cast, so try to cast it quickly before the enemy runs into the fog of war.
- Because Yordle Snap Trap grants vision of an enemy who steps on it, be sure to place them strategically and keep an eye on them. You may be able to get a surprise Ace in the Hole off someone who triggers it in the bush or jungle, allowing you to either hurt them to prevent a gank or finish them off if they fled to the jungle.
- Item Usage
Caitlyn is a marksman with extremely long range in both her abilities and her basic attack. Owing to the truest purpose of a marksman, Caitlyn provides long-range interdiction from behind the safety of her team's vanguard but she can also set up ambushes on her own as well as safely and quickly escape them. Her strongest build attributes are attack damage, critical strike chance, and attack speed.
- A Caitlyn, as for most marksmen, and will allow her to establish lane dominance early on. There is little reason to start with any other item as she has the range to make full use of its attack damage and life steal early on.
is a standard starting item for
- is a good alternative if the extra gold income is needed, but it forfeits the early health bonus and some damage.
- With the update to Marksmen and their items in V5.22, Caitlyn has several new build paths and items to choose from.
- is a good early item if building attack speed, and it builds into or later on in the game.
- is a good early option for spamming abilities in lane due to the cooldown reduction. Builds into and
- should be highly sought as one of her first items in lane if going for a more attack damage focused build.
- Caitlyn, as she has low base attack speed, and will help cushion her weak midgame until she has built a major attack speed item.
is the core boots of choice for
- The Caitlyn kite and chase more effectively. enchantment is a standard choice for most marksmen and will help
- Building one or two items that focus on attack speed will charge Headshot faster, improving her damage in the later part of the game.
- Caitlyn, as with most physical DPS champions. The damage reduction passive also helps her survivability and dueling power. is especially useful as
- gives her inferior stats, but greater waveclear and at a lower price.
- Caitlyn get Headshot procs three times faster. It is worth noting that auto-attacking in brush with the item will allow Caitlyn to proc Headshots every other auto-attack. lets
- It is a good idea to build armor penetration items like or once the enemy starts building armor items.
- life steal in addition to a passive shield, which may help in mid-lategame skirmishes, when stray abilities can poke her down, or extended team fights. gives a high amount of
- Caitlyn increased dueling and chasing capability, as well as higher damage to health tanks such as Dr. Mundo. gives
- Warwick's Infinite Duress or Zed's Death Mark. may be a worthwhile buy starting in the midgame for the lifesteal and the ability to cleanse certain debuffs such as
- is a good pickup if you find yourself spamming abilities later on in the game. The extra-CDR-per-crit-chance passive is also good for someone with long ability cooldowns.
- In many situations, an ADC should be able to build one defensive item after their core items are built:
- Caitlyn against reset-reliant assassins, such as Katarina and Akali, and/or give her a second life after a teamfight. will help
- A Blitzcrank or Thresh. can be built if the enemy has strong grab potential, for example
- If the enemy team is prone to being kited, a Caitlyn's long range by keeping enemy assassins, fighters, and tanks at arm's length. can help accentuate
- , although an off-beat pick, is a good choice against lineups that stack critical strike and damage.
- Unlike most carries, Caitlyn has very high attack damage early-game due to her superior range and Headshot passive, allowing her to harass her enemies and eventually whittle them down and force them out of lane. This is especially deadly once she learns Caitlyn's Ace in the Hole, so try as much as possible to harass her and force her out before she gets her power spike.
- Caitlyn does not have a "steroid" ability. Supports that can zone her, such as Alistar, Janna, Lux are an effective counter.
- Caitlyn is most likely to use Piltover Peacemaker and Yordle Snap Trap as her way to dominate the lane. Dodging said abilities makes it harder for her to harass enemies out of lane, and will eventually drain her mana.
- Caitlyn severely shuts down weak starters like Kog'Maw in the early game, but she becomes weak by the late-game, making her an easy target at that point.
- Be aware of where Caitlyn's's traps are, as the Yordle Snap Trap + Piltover Peacemaker combo is devastating early game.
- Additionally, avoid stepping on traps when Caitlyn is nearby. If clearing them out of lane, only trigger them once she and her lane partner are out.
- Try to dodge 90 Caliber Net as much as possible. The debuff will allow Caitlyn to get a free Headshot on you if it hits you.
- Certain supports are able to interrupt Ace in the Hole or help the targeted ally negate the damage:
- Alistar, Lulu, Soraka can interrupt it respectively with - Pulverize and Headbutt, Whimsy, Equinox.
- Alistar also can intercept the ultimate even at low health and survive it with his Unbreakable Will.
- Additionally Lulu's Wild Growth and Help, Pix!, Kayle's Divine Blessing, Soraka's Astral Infusion and Wish can provide the target with just enough health to survive.
- Perhaps most effective is Kayle's Intervention as it will completely nullify the damage of Ace in the Hole.