- Playing As
- Try to line up your attacks with so that they kill minions and harass enemy champions at the same time.
- If you're having difficulty ing upon champions, try eating minions until you're larger.
- Using on creeps in combination with is a good way to gain Health and Mana.
- Playing Against
- Purchasing a few HP items decreases the chances of Cho'Gath killing you quickly.
- Focus on preventing Cho'Gath from .
- has a smoke cloud indicating the area it will strike. Try to watch out for it to prevent Cho'Gath from being able to combo his abilities.
- Ability Usage
- While Rupture has a longer range, Feral Scream is less avoidable and can stop opponents from using movement abilities to dodge Rupture, especially against melee top lane champions with spammable movement abilities like (who is also vulnerable to the silence due to being combo-reliant).
- Both Rupture and Feral Scream can interrupt channeled abilities; with practice and good prediction, they can even interrupt deadly suppression ultimates ( , ) being used on you by casting them right before they use those abilities, because Rupture and Feral Scream have a brief cast time that can only be stopped by death.
- Generally Feral Scream is maxed first to increase the silence duration, however this also makes it very mana-heavy. Against toplaners like , who is immobile, less reliant on abilities with innate sustain, maxing Rupture (which does not increase its mana cost; at max rank it does 5 base damage per mana compared to Feral Scream's 2.5) can be more useful to force him out of lane.
- While Feast grants a permanent health gain when it kills a champion and a true damage tank-buster, in a team fight it may be more useful to use it first, as it is 's only targeted ability. Prime targets are slippery melee assassins such as or . The heavy damage would make them reconsider sticking around too much in the thick of battle, and their low health state can often attract your teammates' attention to quickly eliminate the threat.
- Feast is very useful against jungle monsters even if you are not jungling, as even at level 6 it can deal a massive 1000+ true damage in one hit, allowing you to possibly quickly take Crest of Insight solo for laning. It should also be used on the Dragon as it gives a non-minion stack. Note that while it does more damage than Smite (390-1000 damage) especially at lower levels, it has a cast time while Smite is instant.
- Rune Usage
- can be played as a tank, a mage, or anything in between.
- For Sorcery, Manaflow Band helps him with his mana problems. It is another reason to use Feral Scream before Rupture, due to its higher mana cost (which is negated by the rune).
- The Ultimate Hat is somewhat debatable, as his ultimate already has a reasonably low cooldown even in early game. As it is a true damage nuke, it becomes stronger if the enemy team has many magic resistance stacking ( ) or powerful damage-reducing ( , ) champions that you need to Feast upon frequently.
- Phase Rush gives him a decent burst of movement speed but it may not be too reliable to hit all his basic abilities in the short window.
- Arcane Comet is good with Rupture as its knock up prevents his opponent from avoiding it.
- For Resolve, Overgrowth synergizes with his health gain from Feast.
- Second Wind helps him with his troubles with poke.
- Item Usage
- is often regarded as 's core item as it gives him a healthy amount of AP, health and mana (since he is quite mana hungry even with his passive). An early can solve his mana problems.
- He can use all the stats on well and its active gives him some mobility that he desperately lacks.
- Both Rupture and Vorpal Spikes doubles the Torment damage from . With the doubled % max health burn, Madness increasing his sustained damage, Vorpal Spikes's % max health damage, and Feast's large chunk of true damage, can be a deadly tank shredder.
- is one of the few, if not only champions commonly regarded as a tank, to entirely lack any sort of mobility, and his large size makes it extra difficult for him to dodge skillshots. Poke champions like or can give him a hard time. As he lacks an escape, ganking him often especially pre-6 can leave him crippled.
- Both Rupture and Feral Scream have noticeable cast times with no travel time. If you cannot outrange him, agile champions such as or can close the gap and engage him at close range.
- Feast, while a targeted ability, also has a noticeable cast time; if loses sight of you during the animation (e.g. if you walk into brush that he has no sight of), it will not damage you.
- Rupture hits multiple champions, and he would likely follow up with a nearly unavoidable Feral Scream, it would put your team in a huge disadvantage. has two abilities that interrupt channels in an area. Avoid using champions who are reliant on channels. Clustering in general is a terrible idea; if
- Do not underestimate the reach of Rupture, as it does not have a travel time (i.e. it is just as fast at max range).