A critical strike is a basic attack or an ability that deals twice its normal damage.
All basic attacks can critically strike, but only a few abilities can. It's not possible to critically strike structures, with the exception of, whose fourth shot can crit against structures, with reduced damage.
Most champions have special attack animations for critical strikes. This includes mages and other champions not meant to be built using basic attacks for damage. Other champions have a sound that plays when they critically strike, typically a grunt of effort.
Players can increase their chances to critically strike and the damage they deal with critical strikes using items, abilities, and runes. Critical strikes are specially valuable for champions who deal damage primarily with basic attacks rather than abilities. Some champions, like , have an affinity for critical strikes and benefit more than others from items that improve them.
Critical strike chance is a stat that is the percentage of chance that a basic attack of a champion critically strikes.
Every champion starts with 0% critical strike chance, and level-ups do not grant additional critical strike chance.
Critical strike chance cannot be increased beyond 100%.
- Critical strike chance will adjust dynamically based on the number of basic attack that didn't critically strike. At 30% critical strike chance you're sure to have 30 or more attacks critical strike per 100 attacks. If you didn't critical strike for a long time your next attacks will have a higher chance.
- When averaged over a large number of autoattacks and at base critical damage (100% bonus damage), critical strike chance is essentially a damage multiplier where each 1% of critical chance adds 1% bonus damage.
- Damage multiplier = 1 + (Critical chance × (1 + Bonus critical damage))
Increasing critical strike chance
- 100% critical chance on her next second attack. grants her
- 100% critical chance every fourth basic attack.
passively grants him
- The fourth and final shot of 100% critical chance. has a
- 100% critical chance against targets below 15% of their maximum health. grants him
- 100% critical chance for every basic attack striking an enemy unit from behind. This cannot happen on the same target more than once every . passively grants him
- 100% critical chance if he hits its target within a 170 range. grants him
- 0.35% critical chance per point of Fury he currently has. grants him
- grants him double the critical strike chance from all sources.
Critical Strike Chance as scaling
Some game elements scale with the champion's amount of critical strike chance.
Modifying Critical Strike Damage
- Most champions deal 200% the normal damage when they critically strike.
- The exceptions are , with 150% damage (reduced to 112% vs structures); and , with 180%.
- In most cases, critical strike damage stacks additively.
- Damage modifiers apply to critical strike damage normally.
- base critical damage to 140 / 155 / 170 / 185 / 200% from the default of 200% on her second auto attack. modifies her
- total critical damage by 25% for basic attacks (e.g. 200% to 150%). multiplicatively reduces his
- base critical damage to 130% from the default of 200%. modifies his
- total critical damage by 10% for basic attacks (e.g. 200% to 180%). multiplicatively reduces his
- Note: base critical damage. Instead, it does the following:
does not modify the
- Only allows critical strikes on auto-attacks against targets affected by .
- Removes the randomness of critical strikes. It does so by simultaneously increasing the proc probability to 100% and reducing the extra damage on proc by the same multiplicative factor.
- Adds straight 10% multiplicative bonus damage that is unrelated to critical strikes.
Abilities Affected by Critical Chance
- Basic attack modifiers
Many abilities in the game enhance basic attacks, causing them to deal increased damage. Since these are auto attacks, they can critically strike with the exception of and the first strike of which can never critically strike. If the the basic attack critically strikes then the ability's damage will be included for the purposes of passive (with the exception of ). However, the ability damage itself will only be amplified by a critical strike for the following abilities:
- (extra damage from stacks does not critically strike)
- (magic damage, benefiting from life steal)
- (only applicable to first hit)
- (applicable to both hits)
- (The bonus damage from Tumble does not critically strike)
- Other abilities
Some other abilities can also critically strike.
- (if the attack that triggered the explosion critically strikes)
- Critical strikes do bonus entire damage portion × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- Critical strikes do bonus 60% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- critically strike dealing bonus entire damage × (Total critical damage − 100%). If the first bounce kills it's target, the second bounce will always critically strike. : The second bounce can
- Critical strikes do bonus 90% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- Critical strikes do increased damage after critical modifier. :
- critical strike. This effect is doubled against champions. : Cooldown is reduced by 1 second for every
Some items that deal bonus damage can critically strike.
Other Abilities that can Critically Strike
Some other abilities can critically strike with no dependence on critical strike chance. Some abilities interact withand so are technically still critical strikes. These are:
- : The second attack will always critically strike.
- : The fourth shot will always critically strike.
- 15% (+50% critical strike chance) of their maximum health. : Wolf's pounce will deal 50% bonus damage to targets under
- critically strike for +100% bonus damage to targets below 15% of their maximum health due to the passive from . : Will
- critical strike. : The next basic attack from behind a target within 2.5 seconds will deal increased damage and will be a
- critically strike if he hits its target within a 170 range. : Will
Finally, some abilities will be displayed as a critical strike under certain circumstances but do not interact withand so are not technically critical strikes. These are:
- critical strike. : The 2 × damage modifier applied by being chilled by is given out as a
- critical strike. : While is active, the next cast of is empowered and deals extra damage, given out as a
- critical strike. : The triple damage dealt to a target that has been bleeding for more than 2 seconds is given out as a
- critical strike when enemy hits terrain. : The damage is given out as a
- critical strike when the cask ferments after 2 seconds. : The damage is given out as a
- critical strike when acting like a single target spell (hitting only one enemy). : Appears as a
- 40% of their maximum health is given out as a critical strike. : The double damage dealt to enemies under
- critical strike. : The 40% increased damage dealt to targets is given out as a
- critical strike. : The extra damage applied to a target marked with is given out as a
- Soul Fragments are stored when is cast, the damage is given out as a critical strike. : If 5
- critical strike. : The double-damage applied by being knocked into a wall is given out as a
- critical strike. : The extra damage applied when under the effect of is given out as a
- critical strike when used against a dashing or airborne target. : The damage is given out as a
- critical strike when used to hexplode a tower. : The damage is given out as a
- In many MMO settings, a number of attack damage-based assassins or secondary assassin-based champions also benefit from high critical strike chance in varying forms, as a means to help finish off targets faster as well as to deal more damage in bursts overall.
- Some champions may actually use their critical strike animation for their empowered-basic attack if they ever activate a single-use on-hit effect, only it does not actually count as an actual critical strike.
Last updated: June 18, 2018 – V8.12
The most gold efficient way to obtain 100% critical strike chance is with:
- (+10% Critical Strike Chance)
- (+15% Critical Strike Chance)
- ( × 2 Critical Strike Chance)
- Critical Strike Chance Amplification:
- ( × 2 Critical Strike Chance)
- Relevant mathematics:
- 100% critical chance Critical Strike Chance = ( + ) × × =