A critical strike deals extra damage during an attack. This could represent an attack that hits harder, a lucky strike or damaging a weak area on an opponent.
Most champions have different attack animations for critical strike.
Critical strike is valuable for all champions who primarily deal damage with automatic attacks, rather than through abilities. Some champions, such as Ashe, have an affinity for critical hits and benefit more from items that improve them.
It's important to note that you cannot score a critical strike against a building such as a tower or inhibitor.
The maximum critical strike chance you can reach at level 1 without items is 20.25%, excluding Ashe's and Tryndamere's passive.
Critical strike chance has a hard cap at 100%.
Critical strike chance has a theoretical gold value of 50 gold per 1% critical strike chance. This makes Cloak of Agility the most efficient core item for critical strike chance, as it grants 15% critical chance for the cost of 730 gold with a 48.6 gold per % crit chance efficiency.
Increasing critical strike chance Edit
- : +15% critical strike chance, +45 armor. Unique passive: You gain attack damage equal to 1.5% of your maximum health. 2300 gold
- : +10% critical strike chance. Unique passive - Avarice Gain +3 gold per 10 seconds. Unique passive - Greed: gain an additional 2 gold on every kill. 800 gold
- : +8% critical strike chance. 400 gold
- : +15% critical strike chance. 730 gold
- : +20% critical strike chance, +25 attack damage. Unique: your basic attacks inflict Grievous Wounds on enemy champion for 1.5 seconds. 1900 gold
- : +25% critical strike chance, +70 attack damage. Unique passive: +50% critical strike damage. 3800 gold
- : +30% critical strike chance, +50% attack speed, +5% movement speed. Unique passive: Your champion ignores unit collision. 2800 gold
- : +20% critical strike chance, +40% attack speed, +6% movement speed. Unique Passive: Moving and attacking builds Static Charges. At 100 charges, your next attack expends the charges to deal 100 magic damage to up to 4 targets. This damage can critically strike. 2500 gold
- : Active: You gain 100% attack speed and 100% critical strike for 3 seconds or 3 critical strikes - 60 second cooldown. +45% attack speed. Passive: This item does not grant any attack speed while on cooldown. Champion kills reduce the current cooldown by 50%. 2200 gold
- : +10% critical strike chance, +30 ability power, +30 attack damage, +30% attack speed, +250 health, +250 mana, +8% movement speed. Unique passive - Icy: On hit, 25% chance for target to be slowed by 30% (+20% for ranged attacks) for 2 seconds. Unique passive - Spellblade: After using an ability, your next basic attack deals bonus damage equal to 150% of your base attack damage (2 second cooldown). 3843 gold
- : +15% critical strike chance, +30 attack damage, +10% cooldown reduction, +20 armor penetration. Unique active: +40% attack speed and +20% movement speed for 6 seconds (4 seconds for ranged champions) - 45 second cooldown. 2700 gold
- : +10% critical strike chance, +18% attack speed, +5% movement speed. 1175 gold
Champion abilities Edit
- Ashe's Focus increases her critical strike chance by / / / / / % every 3 seconds while out of combat, removed after the next attack.
- Pantheon's Heartseeker Strike grants him 100% critical strike chance against targets below 15% of their maximum health.
- Shaco's Deceive grants him 100% critical strike chance on his next attack, but for modified critical damage: 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120%.
- Tryndamere's Battle Fury passively increases his critical strike chance by 0.35% per point of Fury he currently has.
- Critical Chance runes increase critical strike chance.
Critical strike damage affects the amount of bonus damage that a champion's critical strike deals. All champions begin with +100% bonus damage on a critical strike, thus doing 200% damage. This statistic stacks additively.
Critical strike damage applies only to a champion's physical damage portion of an auto-attack. Critical strike damage will not affect any on-hit damage except the (because the on-hit tooltip explicitly states it can crit), including physical damage from effects such as and Siphoning Strike. However, all forms of additional damage will stack with critical strike damage (unless critical strike is disabled for the modified attack, see on-hit effects).
The maximum critical strike damage bonus obtainable with runes, (45.51%), and masteries, (10%), is 55.51%. The only item that adds Critical Strike damage is the . The maximum damage dealt by a Critical Strike is found by adding up all these sources, 200% + 55.51% + 50% is 305.51% of the champion's attack damage.
Increasing critical strike damage Edit
- : Unique Passive: +50% critical strike damage. +70 attack damage, +25% critical strike chance. 3800 gold
- Lethality increases critical strike damage by 5 / 10% for melee champions and 2.5 / 5% for range champions.
- Critical Damage runes increase critical strike damage.
Skills affected by Critical Chance Edit
Certain skills are capable of Critical Strikes and/or are affected by Critical Chance, however these skills may bound to certain limitations. E.g. Poppy's Devastating Blow will gain critical damage bonus only based on her attack damage, and the bonus damage part of the skill is not accounted.
Below is the list of skills that are capable and affected by critical strikes and chances.
- Darius's Crippling Strike: Only base attack damage component gain critical damage bonus.
- Draven's Wicked Blades, is procced by critical strikes
- Gangplank's Parrrley: The entire damage including its bonus damage component can critically strike.
- Garen's Judgment: Only bonus damage provided by your AD (ie: not base damage of judgment) can critical strike.
- Master Yi's Double Strike: The additional strike is capable of Critical Strikes like a normal auto attack.
- Garen's Decisive Strike: Only 100% of your AD can critical strike.
- Nautilus's Staggering Blow: The entire damage including its bonus damage component can critically strike.
- Poppy's Devastating Blow: Only base attack damage component gain critical damage bonus and applied as magic damage.
- Shaco's Backstab: Damage bonus increases damage after critical modifier.
- Sivir's Ricochet: The entire damage including its bonus damage component can critically strike.
- Shyvana's Twin Bite: Only applicable to first hit.
- Talon's Mercy: Damage bonus increases damage after critical modifier.
- Rengar's Savagery: Only base attack damage component gains critical damage bonus.
- Xin Zhao's Three Talon Strike: Only base attack damage component gains critical damage bonus.
Other skills that may OR may not be affected by critical strikes and chances, due to other reasons.
- Nidalee's Takedown: There is a known bug for the skill to critically strikes, yet receive no critical damage. This may be due to it switches the entire damage into "bonus damage", and the skill itself allows critical strike to base on the attack damage portion only, which may lead to the current result of "Critically strikes without inflicting Critical bonus damage.
- Pantheon's Spear Shot: Only affected by critical condition based on his Certain Death, and critical bonus only affected by it's own modifier of 150% of skill's damage, instead of regular modifier. does not change this modifier, nor critical chance from any item affects it.
- Shaco's Deceive: Causes next auto-attack during the next 6 seconds to deal increased damage, which is described as a "Critical Strike", and is affected by any other modifier such as .