A critical strike is a modifier that causes an attack to deal, typically, twice its normal damage. In the real world, it's an attack striking a vulnerable area, while in other MMO and/or RPG settings, it ties into the very common "critical hit" mechanic.
Most champions have different attack animations for a critical strike, though some do not; this includes mages and other champions not meant to be built using basic attacks for damage. Some of these champions performing a critical strike (if built being able to perform them) may instead have a soundbite that plays in place of an animation, typically a grunt of effort.
It only applies to basic attacks or certain abilities like Gangplank's Parrrley and Yasuo's Steel Tempest that act like a basic attack or Garen's Judgment and Master Yi's Alpha Strike, which are specially stated.
Critical strike is valuable for all champions who primarily deal damage with automatic attacks, rather than through abilities. Some champions, such as Ashe, have an affinity for critical hits and benefit more from items that improve them.
It's important to note that you cannot score a critical strike against a building such as a turret or inhibitor.
Critical strike chance is the chance of a champion's physical attacks dealing a critical strike. Critical strike chance stacks additively. Runes, items and all abilities can increase critical strike chance.
When averaged over a large number of autoattacks and at base critical damage, critical strike chance is essentially a damage multiplier where each % of crit chance adds 1% damage. Thus at 50% critical strike chance a champion will be doing (on average) 150% damage with autoattacks, not counting bonus critical strike damage. Because of this, critical strike chance scales well with both attack damage and attack speed. The formula for this damage multiplier is given by:
Damage multiplier = 1 + (Critical chance × (1 + Bonus critical damage))
The maximum critical strike chance you can reach at level 1 through masteries is 20.25%, excluding abilities and items.
Critical strike chance has a hard cap at 100%.
Critical strike chance has a theoretical gold value of 50 gold per 1% critical strike chance. This makes Cloak of Agility the most efficient core item for critical strike chance, as it grants 15% critical chance for the cost of 730 gold with a 48.6 gold per % crit chance efficiency.
Increasing critical strike chance
- +10% critical strike chance. Unique Passive – Avarice: +3 gold per 10 seconds. Unique Passive – Greed: Grants 2 gold upon killing a unit. 800 . :
- +8% critical strike chance. 400 . :
- +15% critical strike chance. 730 . :
- +35% critical strike chance, +50% attack speed, +5% movement speed. Unique Passive: Your champion can move through units. 2800 . :
- +20% critical strike chance, +40% attack speed, +6% movement speed. Unique Passive: Moving and attacking builds Static Charges. At 100 charges, your next attack expends the charges to deal 100 magic damage to up to 4 targets. This damage can critically strike. 2500 . :
- +10% critical strike chance, +30 attack damage, +30 ability power, +30% attack speed,+8% movement speed, +250 health, +200 mana. Unique Passive – Rage: Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 2 seconds on hit. Minion, monster, and champion kills grant 60 movement speed for 2 seconds. This movement speed bonus is halved for ranged champions. Unique Passive – Spellblade: After using an ability, the next basic attack deals 200% base AD bonus physical damage (1.5 second cooldown). 3703 . :
- +15% critical strike chance, +30 attack damage, +10% cooldown reduction. Unique Passive: +20 armor penetration. Unique Active: +40% attack speed and +20% movement speed for 6 seconds (45 second cooldown). 2700 . :
- +10% critical strike chance, +20% attack speed, +5% movement speed. 1100 . :
- +20% critical strike chance, +80 attack damage. Unique Passive: +50% critical strike damage. 3800 . :
- +25% critical strike chance, +80 attack damage. Unique Passive: Critical strikes cause enemies to bleed for an additional 150% of bonus AD as magic damage over 3 seconds and reveal them for the duration. 3800 . :
- +30% critical strike chance, +30 attack damage. Unique Passive: Critical strikes cause ennemies to bleed for 90% of bonus AD as magic damage over 3 seconds and reaveal them for the duration. Unique Passive – Trap Detection: Nearby stealthed enemy traps are revealed. Unique Active – Hunter's Sight: A stealth-detecting mist grants vision in the target area for 5 seconds, revealing enemy champion that enter for 3 seconds (60 second cooldown). 2280 . :
- +10% critical strike chance, +20 attack damage. Unique Passive: Critical strikes cause your target to bleed for an additional 60% of bonus AD as magic damage over 3 seconds. 1200 . :
(Note that any ability boosting attack speed has an indirect impact on the number of crits)
- Fiora's Bladework grants her 100% critical strike chance on her next second attack, but for modified critical damage: 40 / 55 / 70 / 85 / 100%.
- Pantheon's Certain Death grants him 100% critical strike chance against targets below 15% of their maximum health.
- Shaco's Deceive grants him 100% critical strike chance on his next attack, but for modified critical damage: 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120%.
- Tryndamere's Battle Fury passively increases his critical strike chance by 0.35% per point of Fury he currently has.
- Yasuo's Way of the Wanderer doubles his critical strike chance, but the damage dealt by his critical strikes is reduced by 10%.
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
|Critical Chance||Mark||X||X||0.93 %|
Critical strike damage refers to the amount of damage that a champion's critical strike will deal. All champions have 200% critical strike damage by default, except Yasuo who has 180% to compensate for his doubled crit chance. In most cases, critical strike damage stacks additively. Damage modifiers apply to critical strike damage normally.
Modifying Critical Strike Damage
- Champion Abilities
- Ashe's Frost Shot modifies her base critical strike damage to 110 + (%Critical Strike Chance × (1 + Bonus Critical Strike Damage))
- Fiora's Bladework modifies her base critical strike damage to 140 / 155 / 170 / 185 / 200% from the default of 200%.
- Shaco's Deceive modifies his base critical strike damage to 140 / 160 / 180 / 200 / 220% from the default of 200%.
- Yasuo's Intent multiplicatively reduces by 10% his total critical strike damage (e.g. 200% to 180%).
- Unique Passive: +50% critical strike damage. +80 attack damage, +20% critical strike chance. 3800 . :
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
|Critical Damage||Mark||X||X||2.23 %|
- The maximum bonus critical strike damage obtainable is as follows:
- Runes: 45.51%
- Items: 50%
- For most champions, the maximum critical strike damage available is 200% for a total of amount of 295.51% attack damage on their critical strikes.
Skills affected by Critical Chance
Certain skills are capable of Critical Strikes and/or are affected by Critical Chance
- Most of them only do bonus 100% AD × (Critical strike damage − 100%) if critical strikes.
- Blitzcrank's Power Fist
- Darius's Crippling Strike
- Draven's Spinning Axe
- Gangplank's Parrrley
- Garen's Decisive Strike
- Jinx's Switcheroo!
- Nautilus's Staggering Blow
- Nidalee's Takedown: Magic damage, benifiting from Life steal.
- Nocturne's Umbra Blades
- Poppy's Devastating Blow: Magic damage, benifiting from Spell vamp.
- Quinn's Harrier
- Renekton's Ruthless Predator: Only applicable to first hit.
- Rengar's Savagery
- Riven's Runic Blade
- Shyvana's Twin Bite: Only applicable to first hit.
- Talon's Noxian Diplomacy
- Trundle's Chomp
- Vayne's Tumble
- Viktor's Discharge: Magic damage, benifiting from Life steal.
- Volibear's Rolling Thunder
- Wukong's Crushing Blow
- Xin Zhao's Three Talon Strike
- Caitlyn's Headshot: Critical strikes do bonus (125%AD × Critical strike damage − 150%) against champions or (175%AD × Critical strike damage − 250%) against minions and monsters.
- Garen's Judgment: Critical strikes do bonus entire damage portion × (Critical strike damage − 150%).
- Jayce's Hyper Charge: Critical strikes do bonus entire damage × (Critical strike damage − 100%).
- Lucian's Lightslinger: The additional shot does bonus entire damage × (Critical strike damage − 100%) if it is a critical strike.
- Master Yi's Double Strike: The additional strike does bonus 50%AD × (Critical strike damage − 100%) if it is a critical strike.
- Alpha Strike: Critical strikes do bonus 60%AD × (Critical strike damage − 100%).
- Nasus's Siphoning Strike: Critical strikes do bonus × (Critical strike damage − 100%).
- Yasuo's Steel Tempest: Critical strikes do bonus (75%AD × Critical strike damage − 100%).
- Shaco's Backstab: Critical strikes do Damage bonus increases damage after critical modifier.
- Talon's Mercy: Critical strikes do Damage bonus increases damage after critical modifier.
- Tryndamere's Spinning Slash: Cooldown is reduced by 1 second for every critical strike. This effect is doubled against champions.
Other skills that are not be affected by critical strikes and chances, due to other reasons.
- Affected by Critical strike damage
- Fiora's Bladework: Causes next second auto-attack to deal increased damage, which is described as a "Critical Strike".
- Shaco's Deceive: Causes next auto-attack during the next 6 seconds to deal increased damage, which is described as a "Critical Strike".
- Pantheon's Spear Shot: Will crit for a +100% damage bonus due to the passive from Certain Death if the target is under 15% health.
- Unaffected by Critical strike damage
- Anivia's Frostbite: The 2x damage modifier applied by being chilled by Flash Frost is given out as critical strike.
- Gangplank's Powder Keg: The damage is always given out as critical strike.
- Gnar's GNAR!: The damage is given out as critical strike when enemy hits terrain.
- Gragas's Barrel Roll: The damage is given out as critical strike when the cask ferments after 2 seconds.
- Karthus's Lay Waste: Appears like a critical strike when acting like a single target spell (hitting only one enemy).
- Miss Fortune's Double Up: The second damage is given out as critical strike when the first target is killed.
- Soraka's Starcall: The damage is given out as critical strike when enemy stands in the center.
- Vayne's Condemn: The double-damage proc'd by being knocked into a wall is given out as critical strike.
[Last updated 28/5/2015 on patch 5.9]
- have a full page of Critical Strike Chance runes
- Relevant mathematics:
- Yasuo Critical Strike Chance = ( + ) × = 100 %
- Similarly in many MMO settings, a number of attack damage-based assassins or secondary assassin-based champions also benefit from high critical strike chance in varying form, as a means to help finish off targets faster as well as to deal more damage in bursts overall.