A critical strike is a basic attack that deals twice its normal damage. In the real world, it's an attack striking a vulnerable area, while in other MMO and/or RPG settings, it ties into the very common "critical hit" mechanic.
It only applies to basic attacks or certain abilities like Gangplank's Parrrley and Yasuo's Steel Tempest that act like a basic attack or Garen's Judgment and Master Yi's Alpha Strike, which are specially stated. It's important to note that you cannot score a critical strike against a building such as a turret or inhibitor.
Most champions have different attack animations for a critical strike, though some do not; this includes mages and other champions not meant to be built using basic attacks for damage. Some of these champions performing a critical strike (if built being able to perform them) may instead have a soundbite that plays in place of an animation, typically a grunt of effort.
Critical strike is valuable for all champions who primarily deal damage with automatic attacks, rather than through abilities. Some champions, such as Ashe, have an affinity for critical hits and benefit more from items that improve them. Players can increase the Chance and the Damage of critical strikes with items, abilities, and runes.
Critical strike chance, as the name states, is the chance of a champion's physical attacks dealing a critical strike. Critical strike chance stacks additively. Runes, items and all abilities can increase critical strike chance.
When averaged over a large number of autoattacks and at Base critical damage (100% bonus damage), critical strike chance is essentially a damage multiplier where each 1% of critical chance adds 1% bonus damage. Thus at 50% critical strike chance a champion will be doing (on average) 150% damage with autoattacks, not counting Bonus critical strike damage. Because of this, critical strike chance scales well with both attack damage and attack speed. The formula for this damage multiplier is given by:
Damage multiplier = 1 + (Critical chance × (1 + Bonus critical damage))
The maximum critical strike chance you can reach at level 1 through masteries is 20.25%, excluding abilities and items, and is hard capped at 100%.
Critical strike chance has a theoretical gold value of 40 gold per 1% critical strike chance. This makes the most efficient core item for critical strike chance, as it grants +10% critical chance for the cost of 400 gold with a 40 gold per 1% critical chance efficiency. Note that has the same efficiency.
Increasing critical strike chance
- +10% critical strike chance. 400 . :
- +20% critical strike chance. 800 . :
- +20% critical strike chance, +65 attack damage. Unique Passive - +10% Cooldown Reduction. Unique Passive - Gain up to +20% additional Cooldown Reduction equal to your critical chance from other sources. Unique Passive - critical strike restore 3% of your maximum mana. 3600 . :
- +30% critical strike chance, +45% attack speed, +5% movement speed. Unique Passive - Spectral Waltz: While within 500 units of a visible enemy champion, you are ghosted and gain 7% bonus movement speed. Unique Passive Lament: You take 12% reduced damage from the last enemy champion you hit, lingering for 10 seconds after your last hit. 2800 . :
- +30% critical strike chance, +30% attack speed, +7% movement speed. Unique Passive - Energize: Moving and using basic attacks Energize you. When fully Energized, gain Firecannon. Unique Passive - Firecannon: Your next basic attack gains 35% increased range, up to a maximum of +150 range and deals bonus on-hit magic damage. Firecannon can be used on structures. 2600 . :
- +30% critical strike chance, +40% attack speed, +7% movement speed. Unique Passive - +15 on-hit physical damage. Unique Passive - Wind's Fury: When Basic attacking, bolts are fired at up to 2 enemies near the target, each dealing 25% AD physical damage. Bolts can critically strike and apply on-hit effects. 2600 . :
- +30% critical strike chance, +35% attack speed, +5% movement speed. Unique Passive - Energize: Moving and using basic attacks Energize you. When fully Energized, gain Shiv Lightning. Unique Passive - Shiv Lightning: Your next basic attack (on-hit) deals bonus magic damage, increased to against minions, that can spark to up to 4 additional nearby units. This damage can critically strike and scales with critical damage. 2600 . :
- +20% critical strike chance, +25 attack damage, +15% attack speed, +5% movement speed, +10% cooldown reduction, +250 health, +250 mana. Unique Passive – Rage: Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 2 seconds on hit. Minion, monster, and champion kills grant 60 movement speed for 2 seconds. This movement speed bonus is halved for ranged champions. Unique Passive – Spellblade: After using an ability, the next basic attack deals 200% base AD bonus physical damage (1.5 second cooldown). 3800 . :
- +20% critical strike chance, +15% attack speed, Unique Passive: +5% movement speed. 1300 . :
- +20% critical strike chance, +65 attack damage. Unique Passive: +50% critical strike damage. 3600 . :
- +30% critical strike chance, +65 attack damage. Unique Passive: Critical strikes cause enemies to bleed for an additional 150% of bonus AD as magic damage over 3 seconds and reveal them for the duration. 3600 . :
- +30% critical strike chance, +30 attack damage. Unique Passive: Critical strikes cause ennemies to bleed for 90% of bonus AD as magic damage over 3 seconds and reaveal them for the duration. Unique Passive – Trap Detection: Nearby stealthed enemy traps are revealed. Unique Active – Hunter's Sight: A stealth-detecting mist grants vision in the target area for 5 seconds, revealing enemy champion that enter for 3 seconds (60 second cooldown). 2350 . :
- +10% critical strike chance, +20 attack damage. Unique Passive: Critical strikes cause your target to bleed for an additional 60% of bonus AD as magic damage over 3 seconds. 1200 . :
Note: Any ability boosting attack speed has an indirect impact on the number of crits.
- Fiora's Bladework grants her 100% critical chance on her next second attack, but for modified critical damage: 140 / 155 / 170 / 180 / 200%
- Pantheon's Certain Death grants him 100% critical chance against targets below 15% of their maximum health.
- Shaco's Deceive grants him 100% critical chance on his next attack, but for modified critical damage: 140 / 160 / 180 / 200 / 220%
- Tryndamere's Battle Fury grants him 0.35% critical chance per point of Fury he currently has.
- Yasuo's Way of the Wanderer grants him twice the amount of critical chance.
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
|Critical Chance||Mark||X||X||0.93 %|
Critical strike damage refers to the amount of damage that a champion's critical strike will deal. All champions have 200% critical strike damage by default, except Ashe with 110% damage, Jhin with 150% and Yasuo with 180%. In most cases, critical strike damage stacks additively. Damage modifiers apply to critical strike damage normally.
Modifying Critical Strike Damage
- Champion Abilities
- Ashe's Frost Shot modifies her base critical damage to 110% + (Critical Chance × (1 + Bonus Critical Damage))
- Fiora's Bladework modifies her base critical damage to 140 / 155 / 170 / 185 / 200% from the default of 200%.
- Jhin's Whisper multiplicatively reduces his total critical damage by 25% for basic attacks.
- Shaco's Deceive modifies his base critical damage to 140 / 160 / 180 / 200 / 220% from the default of 200%.
- Yasuo's Intent multiplicatively reduces his total critical damage by 10% for basic attacks and 25% for Steel Tempest (e.g. 200% to 190% / 175%).
- Unique Passive: +50% critical strike damage. +65 attack damage, +20% critical strike chance. 3600 . :
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
|Critical Damage||Mark||X||X||2.23 %|
- The maximum bonus critical strike damage obtainable is as follows:
- Runes: 45.51%
- Items: 50%
- For most champions, the maximum critical strike damage available is 200% for a total of amount of 295.51% AD on their critical strikes.
Skills affected by Critical Chance
- Most of them only do bonus 100% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%) if critical strikes.
- Blitzcrank's Power Fist
- Caitlyn's Headshot: Against champions.
- Darius's Crippling Strike
- Draven's Spinning Axe
- Gangplank's Parrrley
- Garen's Decisive Strike
- Jinx's Switcheroo!
- Nautilus's Staggering Blow
- Nidalee's Takedown: Magic damage, benifiting from Life steal.
- Nocturne's Umbra Blades
- Quinn's Harrier
- Renekton's Ruthless Predator: Only applicable to first hit.
- Rengar's Savagery
- Riven's Runic Blade
- Shyvana's Twin Bite: Only applicable to first hit.
- Talon's Noxian Diplomacy
- Trundle's Chomp
- Vayne's Tumble
- Viktor's Discharge: Magic damage, benifiting from Life steal.
- Volibear's Rolling Thunder
- Wukong's Crushing Blow
- Xin Zhao's Three Talon Strike
- Caitlyn's Headshot: Critical strikes do bonus 250% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%) against minions and monsters.
- Garen's Judgment: Critical strikes do bonus entire damage portion × (Total critical damage − 100%).
- Jayce's Hyper Charge: Critical strikes do bonus entire damage × (Total critical damage − 100%).
- Lucian's Lightslinger: The additional shot does bonus entire damage × (Total critical damage − 100%) if it is a critical strike.
- Master Yi's Double Strike: The additional strike does bonus 50% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%) if it is a critical strike.
- Alpha Strike: Critical strikes do bonus 60% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%).
- Miss Fortune's Bullet Time: Each wave can critically strike, dealing 20% × (Total critical damage − 100%) bonus damage.
- Nasus's Siphoning Strike: Critical strikes do bonus × (Total critical damage − 100%).
- Yasuo's Steel Tempest: Critical strikes do bonus 75% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%).
Other skills that are not be affected by critical strikes and chances, due to other reasons.
- Affected by Critical strike damage
- Fiora's Bladework: Causes next second auto-attack to deal increased damage, which is described as a critical strike.
- Shaco's Deceive: Causes next auto-attack during the next 6 seconds to deal increased damage, which is described as a critical strike.
- Pantheon's Spear Shot: Will critical strike for a + 100% damage bonus due to the passive from Certain Death if the target is under 15% health.
- Unaffected by Critical strike damage
- Anivia's Frostbite: The 2 × damage modifier applied by being chilled by Flash Frost is given out as critical strike.
- Gangplank's Powder Keg: The damage is always given out as critical strike.
- Gnar's GNAR!: The damage is given out as critical strike when enemy hits terrain.
- Gragas's Barrel Roll: The damage is given out as critical strike when the cask ferments after 2 seconds.
- Karthus's Lay Waste: Appears like a critical strike when acting like a single target spell (hitting only one enemy).
- Miss Fortune's Double Up: The second damage is given out as critical strike when the first target is killed.
- Soraka's Starcall: The damage is given out as critical strike when enemy stands in the center.
- Vayne's Condemn: The double-damage applied by being knocked into a wall is given out as critical strike.
- Similarly in many MMO settings, a number of attack damage-based assassins or secondary assassin-based champions also benefit from high critical strike chance in varying form, as a means to help finish off targets faster as well as to deal more damage in bursts overall.
(Last updated 06/02/2016 on patch 6.2)
- The fastest way to obtain 100% critical strike chance is with Yasuo, requiring only 1200 :
- Runes: +20.25% Critical Strike Chance
- Items: +30% Critical Strike Chance
- (+10% Critical Strike Chance)
- (+20% Critical Strike Chance)
- Critical Strike Chance Amplification: 100% Critical Strike Chance
- Way of the Wanderer (+ 100% Critical Strike Chance)
- Relevant mathematics:
- Yasuo Critical Strike Chance = (20.25% + 30%) × 2 =