A critical strike is a basic attack or an ability that deals twice its normal damage.
All basic attacks can critically strike, but only a few abilities can. Examples of abilities that can critically strike areand , which act like a basic attack; and and , which are specially stated. It's not possible to critically strike structures, with the exception of , whose fourth shot receives minicrits against structures.
Most champions have special attack animations for critical strikes. This includes mages and other champions not meant to be built using basic attacks for damage. Other champions have a sound that plays when they critically strike, typically a grunt of effort.
Players can increase their chances to critically strike and the damage they deal with critical strikes using items, abilities, and runes. Critical strikes are specially valuable for champions who deal damage primarily with basic attacks rather than abilities. Some champions, like , have an affinity for critical strikes and benefit more than others from items that improve them.
Critical strike chance is the chance that a basic attack of a champion deals a critical strike. Critical strike chance stacks additively. Runes, items, and abilities can increase critical strike chance.
When averaged over a large number of autoattacks and at Base critical damage (100% bonus damage), critical strike chance is essentially a damage multiplier where each 1% of critical chance adds 1% bonus damage. Thus at 50% critical strike chance a champion deals (on average) 150% damage with autoattacks, not counting Bonus critical strike damage. Because of this, critical strike chance scales well with both attack damage and attack speed. The formula for this damage multiplier is:
Damage multiplier = 1 + (Critical chance × (1 + Bonus critical damage))
The maximum critical strike chance is 100%.
Critical strike chance has a theoretical gold value of 40 per 1% critical strike chance. This makes the most efficient core item for critical strike chance, as it grants +10% critical chance for the cost of 400 with a 40 per 1% critical chance efficiency. has the same efficiency.
Increasing critical strike chance
Note: Ability that boost attack speed have an indirect impact on the number of critical strikes.
- 100% critical chance on her next second attack. grants her
- 100% critical chance every fourth basic attack.
passively grants him
- The fourth and final shot of 100% critical chance. has a
- 100% critical chance against targets below 15% of their maximum health. grants him
- 100% critical chance for his next basic attack against his closest target. grants him
- 100% critical chance for every basic attack striking an enemy unit from behind. This cannot happen on the same target more than once every . passively grants him
- 100% critical chance if he hits its target within a 170 range. grants him
- 0.35% critical chance per point of Fury he currently has. grants him
- gains double the critical strike chance from all sources thanks to his passive .
Modifying Critical Strike Damage
- Most champions deal 200% the normal damage when they critically strike, or 250% if they have .
- The exceptions are , with 110% damage; , with 150% (reduced to 112% vs structures); and , with 190%.
- In most cases, critical strike damage stacks additively.
- Damage modifiers apply to critical strike damage normally.
- base critical damage to 140 / 155 / 170 / 185 / 200% from the default of 200%. modifies her
- total critical damage by 25% for basic attacks. multiplicatively reduces his
- base critical damage to 130% from the default of 200%. modifies his
- total critical damage by 10% for basic attacks and 25% for (e.g. 200% to 190% / 175%). multiplicatively reduces his
- Note: base critical damage. Instead, it does the following:
does not modify the
- Only allows critical strikes on auto-attacks against targets affected by .
- Removes the randomness of critical strikes. It does so by simultaneously increasing the proc probability to 100% and reducing the extra damage on proc by the same multiplicative factor.
- Adds straight 10% multiplicative bonus damage that is unrelated to critical strikes.
- Unique: Critical strike bonus damage is increased by 50%. : Passive:
Skills affected by Critical Chance
Some skills can critically strike and/or are affected by critical chance:
- : Against champions.
- Life steal. : Magic damage, benefiting from
- : Only applicable to first hit.
- : Only applicable to first hit.
- Life steal. : Magic damage, benefiting from
- Critical strikes do bonus 250% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%) against minions and monsters. :
- Critical strikes do bonus entire damage portion × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- Critical strikes do bonus entire damage × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- critical strike, doing bonus 100% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%). : The shot is a
- Total critical damage − 100%) if it is a critical strike. : The additional shot does bonus entire damage × (
- 50% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%) if it is a critical strike. : The additional strike does bonus
- critically strike dealing bonus entire damage × (Total critical damage − 100%). If the first bounce kills it's target, the second bounce will always critically strike. : The second bounce can
- Critical strikes do bonus 70% bonus AD × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- Critical strikes do bonus × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- Critical strikes do bonus 75% AD × (Total critical damage − 100%). :
- Critical strikes do increased damage after critical modifier. :
- critical strike. This effect is doubled against champions. : Cooldown is reduced by 1 second for every
Other skills that are not affected by critical strikes and chances are displayed as a critical strike due to other reasons.
- Affected by Critical strike damage
- critical strike. : Causes next second auto-attack to deal increased damage, which is described as a
- critically strike for a +50% damage bonus due to the passive from if the target is under 15% health. : Will
- critical strike. : The next basic attack from behind a target within 2.5 seconds will deal increased damage and will be a
- Unaffected by Critical strike damage
- critical strike. : The 2 × damage modifier applied by being chilled by is given out as a
- critical strike. : While is active, the next cast of is empowered and deals extra damage, given out as a
- critical strike. : The triple damage dealt to a target that has been bleeding for more than 2 seconds is given out as a
- critical strike when enemy hits terrain. : The damage is given out as a
- critical strike when the cask ferments after 2 seconds. : The damage is given out as a
- critical strike when acting like a single target spell (hitting only one enemy). : Appears as a
- 40% of their maximum health is given out as a critical strike. : The double damage dealt to enemies under
- critical strike. : When the sigil is shattered by Leblanc's next ability against the target, the combined damage of the sigil and the ability is given out as a
- critical strike. : The 40% increased damage dealt to targets is given out as a
- critical strike. : The extra damage applied to a target marked with is given out as a
- critical strike. : The double-damage applied by being knocked into a wall is given out as a
- critical strike. : The extra damage applied when under the effect of is given out as a
- critical strike when used to hexplode a tower. : The damage is given out as a
- In many MMO settings, a number of attack damage-based assassins or secondary assassin-based champions also benefit from high critical strike chance in varying forms, as a means to help finish off targets faster as well as to deal more damage in bursts overall.
- Some champions may actually use their critical strike animation for their empowered-basic attack if they ever activate a single-use on-hit effect, only it does not actually count as an actual critical strike.
Last updated: November 18th, 2017 – V7.22
- (+10% Critical Strike Chance)
- Two (+40% Critical Strike Chance)
- Critical Strike Chance Amplification:
- (+ 100% total Critical Strike Chance)
- Relevant mathematics:
- 100% critical chance Critical Strike Chance = 50% × 2 =