- Playing as
- Despite Draven's power, teamwork is essential in securing his kills. Never engage without the support of the team.
- It is very important not to lose axes, or else Draven cannot fight very well.
- Avoid tunnel vision when juggling with
, remember to take a glance at the map every few seconds.
- Make sure to use wards, Dravens are notorious for not using wards because of tunnel vision.
- Playing against
- Launch skillshots toward the landing position of Draven's , he will suffer whether or not he catches them.
- Disrupt Draven with the goal of making him . If you do, his power drops dramatically.
- Avoid early game skirmishes while Draven has two , that damage output will win any trade.
- Draven's snowball potential is very dependent on whether he succeeds in securing his lead. Coordinating with your team to kill him early will cripple his effectiveness and power growth.
- Farming safely is a good tactic that avoids his kill potential while creating an opportunity for your jungler's invasion.
- Playing with
- Draven needs early kills to capitalize on his . Due to his high damage, he is perfectly capable of eliminating his low-health targets during a skirmish. Too much support at the last second could take the kills.
- Before engaging for Draven, check if he has a , he won't be of much help following up without one.
- Draven has practically nothing in terms of defense. Since he's a high-value target, be ready to protect him in a fight.
is a hyper-aggressive marksman with a brawler-esque fighting style that excels in smaller fights. His power is centered around juggling his , which allows him to achieve one of the highest DPS amounts in the game. This potential is gated by a very steep learning curve, but once he starts to snowball, he becomes a very dominant carry.
- Playing Draven is going to require practicing mechanical finess with , which can then weave into the rest of his kit. The result is a very deliberate control of his DPS along with excellent footwork.
- Draven has a very strong early game due to the oppressive power of Spinning Axe, try to kite the enemy while they are attacking minions so you can catch the axes without retaliation.
- It is very important to maintain Spinning Axe since it's the majority of Draven's damage. But don't activate it if you don't expect combat within the next few seconds.
- If the spot to catch an axe can be compromised, it's not worth catching.
- With enough practice, the player can become skilled enough to fight with more than one Spinning Axe. This practically causes every basic attack to be empowered as long as Draven juggles every axe.
- Try not to juggle Spinning Axe at very close targets, it will be very hard to control where it goes.
- Blood Rush takes a hefty amount of mana at early game, too much usage will deplete Draven's mana quickly.
- Remember that the speed boost from Blood Rush' ignores unit collision. This can be helpful to eliminate creep block, especially when catching axes.
- To gain a longer speed boost, use Blood Rush right before catching a . This refreshes the ability to be used again immediately.
- Never use Stand Aside directly towards an enemy with the intent to knock them aside, it probably won't knock them in the desired direction.
- Save this ability for disrupting any essential attacks, such as channels or dashes. Inspect your enemy and plan accordingly.
- If you suspect that the target can juke the shot, recast Whirling Death right before it hits a champion so it would reset its damage right on top of them.
synergizes with the marksman playstyle of a sustained combatant. It provides attack speed that essentially benefits Draven's early DPS by improving control.
- is suited for Draven's thirst for combat to sustain , and his hard-hitting engage that can deal tons of damage in a short amount of time. However, taking full advantage will require a lot of DPS management.
is a substantial supplement to Draven's damage without requiring massive finess with . It can benefit off his bonus movement speed, which means it can still deliver even if he's juggling well.
- can trigger from basic attacks, which is where practically all of his damage comes from.
- on-hit effects. Compared to , it provides greater sustain in extended fights, but less reliable deterrent to burst damage. That's not to say the effects aren't worth switching when the fights get hard to keep up with. Since Draven is more confrontational than most marksmen, Life steal is going to be the first investment. The Bloodthirster is a solid choice because practically all the damage Draven deals comes from basic attacks empowered by , which fully benefits from
There are only a few Attack Speed items that fall within a confrontational playstyle:
- critically strike, unlike . , albeit an attack speed item, provides bonus damage when starting a fight. If you're looking to secure your lead in fights that you can win, then this item practically doubles as a damage item. Statikk Shiv can also
- Divers that you must deal with, this item helps a lot. damage reduction is very helpful for Draven's high-risk engagements during a teamfight. Draven enters a fight in much riskier positions than most marksmen because he is constantly moving while attacking. If there are
- Storm's Edge is a tricky mechanic caught between the decision to fight fast or fight hard. Draven already hits heavily while fighting fast, but will have to stop for a second to attain that guaranteed critical strike. This will surely occur on his very first attack, but when time is of the essence in the later parts of the game, Stormrazor's moments are few between.
Synergies and Counterpicks
- lacks any escapes from hard crowd control, yet has to remain close to the fight to keep . Draven struggles against champions that can punish his extension, and abuse his axe landings to catch him out of position whenever he tries to catch an axe.
|Works well with:||Struggles against:|
Blitzcrank - the Great Steam Golem
Draven has a lot of attack power, but lacks anything else that can help him set up his kills. While most crowd control monsters follow up on their catches, lets Blitzcrank bring the kills to him. With the enemy placed on Draven's terms, he can start dishing out the to earn that sweet .
Alistar - the Minotaur
Alistar always looks to disrupt the enemy with his engage, and Draven's knocks him off an axe, there aren’t many options left in his kit to retaliate other than to keep fighting. With the amount of crowd control Alistar can dish out afterwards: good luck trying to throw a punch.is a prime example. Once he
Nami - the Tidecaller
Nami provides everything an aggressive team needs; from sustaining with, to providing stickiness with and . Even her disruptive and are just enough for Draven to turn the fight around.
Varus - the Arrow of Retribution
Draven's reach isn't as vast as Varus' artillery power from, and with plaguing trades in the midst of teamfights, he can lose a lot of health in a single shot. If Varus can keep the pressure long enough, all it take is a toss of to finish him off.
Braum - the Heart of the Freljord
Smart opponents will learn not to mess with Draven when Braum plays the wingman with his. With the cover of an shield providing , Draven's lane becomes a hard nut to crack.
Zyra - Rise of the Thorns
If there's one thing Zyra's good at, it's oppression by a wholeof plants. Draven can either stomp out the and risk her damage, or keep his skin on while organic turrets slaughter the push. But should push come to shove, she's got even more tricks in her arsenal to him down and him like a salad.
Morgana - Fallen Angel
Unlike other poke champions, Morgana has to bide her time in landingjust right so she has a reliable chance to use her other spells. is perfect in deterring magic damage spells like and which can put Draven in a tough bind. If the fight attracts more attention, everyone will become subject to the domain of wide snare.
Tahm Kench - the River King
With the ability tohis allies to cut the fight short, Draven won't be able to in a kill. Trying to take out Tahm Kench himself is a formidable obstacle, since he's got his own form of poke from the range of and . If he ends up behind, then the bandwagon of becomes a global threat he just can't beat.