There are various methods to get experience:
- Champion kills: Killing an enemy champion rewards a player with an amount of experience determined by the level of the champion slain. The experience gained is equal to 75% of the total experience required for a champion to go from the slain champion's current level to the next level up. In other words, if a level 7 champion is slain, the total experience gained is 75% of the total experience required for a champion to go from level 7 to level 8, or 705 (= 0.75 × 940) experience points. The experience reward will be increased if there is a positive level difference between champions (e.g. a level 5 champion killing a level 7 champion) and decreased if the level difference is negative.
- Assists: A champion is given an assist after damaging an enemy champion that is then killed within 10 seconds. A champion granted an assist will evenly split the total experience reward for killing the enemy champion with all other players that received an assist or landed the killing blow or are within 1600 range of the killing blow.
- Minions: Killing minions in League of Legends grants an amount of experience upon their death. The experienced gained by the champion is determined by the type of minion. Experience from minion deaths is split between all champions within 1600 range.
- Turrets: Whenever an enemy inner, inhibitor or turret is destroyed, all champions of the team are granted experience depending on the turret. No experience is granted for outer turrets.
- Neutral monsters: Each type of neutral monster in League of Legends gives a different amount of experience upon death. Experience points from neutral monsters are split between every allied champion within an 400-unit range. Jungle monsters grant 50% bonus XP per level to lower-level champions, up to a cap.
- Teemo's mushrooms also grant experience if destroyed. Doesn't grant experience if they are activated.
Lesser Wraith ×3
| 90 EXP|
| Giant Wolf|
| 110 EXP|
| Big Golem|
| 140 EXP|
| Ancient Golem|
Young Lizard ×2
| 260 EXP|
| Lizard Elder|
Young Lizard ×2
| 260 EXP|
- Epic monsters: Only Baron Nashor gives global experience, the Dragon gives local experience.
|Baron Nashor||900 EXP|
Increasing experience gain
Note that experience gain modifiers stack additively.
- A non-displayed passive that Nidalee possesses grants 5 experience points every 5 seconds to nearby allied champions that have a lower level than her. This is on a timer such that if a champion gets in range at the time the experience would be granted they do not need to be in her presence for the entire 5 seconds.
- Zilean's Heightened Learning globally increases his and allies' experience gains by 8%. This bonus is inactive while he is dead.
- Inspiration in the fourth tier of Utility tree grants 5 / 10 experience every ten seconds if you are close to an allied champion with a higher level. This is on a timer such that if the lower leveled champion gets in range of the higher leveled champion at the time the experience would be granted they do not need to be in the ally's presence for the entire 5 seconds.
- Experience runes increases experience gains by 2% per rune.
- Crystal Scar's Aura grants every champion passive experience gain while playing on the Dominion game mode. (7.2 exp points per second.)
- Experience split when two or more champions are present increased; situations with two or more champions splitting experience now earn 30.4% more total experience than solo, up from 26.1%.
Experience needed to level up
The following describes the amount of experience required to go from one level to the next on Summoner's Rift:
|To reach level||XP||Cumulative XP|
Only 80% of this experience is required to level up on the Twisted Treeline, and the Crystal Scar has its own experience requirements, which are not exactly but are close to 75% of the values in the above chart.