There are only five ways to gain experience. Experience isn't gained over time.
- Killing a champion: Gives 75% of the experience required to reach the slain champion's next level (not current level). This is increased by an unknown amount if the target is higher level.
- Assisting: The experience granted for killing, including this increase (see above), is divided in two if there were assistants. The killer gets half and the rest is divided evenly between any ally who attacked 10 seconds before the target died or was within 1200 range of the death (assistants).
- Proximity to a minion death: Regardless of whether it was last hit or killed by another source.
- Structures (except outer turret and nexus): Inhibitors and turrets grant XP, except outer, different ones grant different amounts.
- Monsters: Different monsters give different amounts. If the killer is of a low level (not compared to the monster) it's upped by 50%. If an ally is within 400 range the XP is split.
- See Jungling.
Increasing experience gain
Note that experience gain modifiers stack additively.
- A non-displayed passive that Nidalee used to possess prior to her rework granted 5 experience points every 5 seconds to nearby allied champions that had a lower level than her.
- Zilean's Heightened Learning increases his and allies' experience gains by 8%. This bonus is inactive while he is dead. As of V4.19 it has a range of 1500.
- Inspiration in the fourth tier of Utility tree grants 10 / 20 experience every ten seconds if you are close to an allied champion with a higher level. This is on a timer such that if the lower leveled champion gets in range of the higher leveled champion at the time the experience would be granted they do not need to be in the ally's presence for the entire 5 seconds.
- Experience runes increases experience gains by 2% per rune.
- Crystal Scar's Aura grants every champion passive experience gain while playing on the Dominion game mode. (7.2 exp points per second.)
In addition, when more than 1 champion is sharing experience, 30.4% extra experience is split among all champions.
- Two champions each gain 65.2%
- Three champions each gain 43.46%
- Four champions each gain 32.6%
- Five champions each gain 26.08%
Experience needed to level up
The following describes the amount of experience required to go from one level to the next on Summoner's Rift.
Minion waves calculations assumes a Summoner's Rift lane, no increased experience sources, no neutral monsters are slain and one champion is in 1600 range of every opposing minion death in said lane.
|To reach level||XP||Cumulative XP||Minion Waves|
The following describes the amount of experience required to go from one level to the next on Twisted Treeline.
|To reach level||XP||Cumulative XP|
The Crystal Scar has its own experience requirements, which are not exactly but are close to 75% of the values on Summoner's Rift.