League of Legends uses a level system to reflect how experienced summoners are. The level system comprises 30 levels, each represented by a number from 1 to 30. Higher numbers mean more experience. Summoners start their first game at level 1 and progress until they reach level 30 after a variable number of games (typically between 300 and 400). The level system is based on the concept of Experience Points (XP). Summoners accumulate XP by playing games. When they accumulate a certain amount of XP, they progress to the next level. The level progression finishes when the Summoner reaches level 30. Reaching this level is one of the requirements to participate in Ranked games (the others are owning 16 champions and taking part in a series of placement games).
XP values of matches
The amount of XP received for a game is determined by several rules:
- Wins are worth more XP than losses.
- Longer games are worth more XP.
- There is both a minimum and a maximum amount of XP a player can get from a game.
- Different types of games award different amounts of XP. For instance, the current (July 2011) formula for a Normal game at levels 15-19 is roughly 3m+25, where m is the number of minutes the game lasts, capped at 198. At the same levels, Intermediate Bot games subtract a 25% penalty from that formula.
- XP Boosts, which can be purchased with Riot Points from the PVP.Net store, increase the XP earned. There are several types of XP boosts which increase the XP acquired in different ways.
Depending on all these factors, each game awards roughly between 50 and 300 XP, with average values around 100 XP.
The following table describes the amount of XP required to level up and some of the game content unlocked when reaching each level.
|To reach Level||XP Needed||Cumulative XP Needed||Cumulative Percentage||What is unlocked|
|1||0||0||0%||• 1st Mark Rune slot|
• Tier 2 Runes (1 IP each)
|2||88||88||0.41%||• 1st Seal Rune slot|
|3||92||180||0.84%||• Normal 5v5 Summoner's Rift |
• 1st Glyph Rune slot
• 2nd Mark Rune slot
|5||118||397||1.86%||• Co-op vs. AI 3v3 Twisted Treeline |
2nd Seal Rune slot
Hextech Crafting and Loot
|6||327||724||3.38%||• ARAM 5v5 Howling Abyss |
• 2nd Glyph Rune slot
|7||312||1036||4.84%||• Normal 3v3 Twisted Treeline |
• 3rd Mark Rune slot
• 3rd Seal Rune slot
|9||344||1702||7.96%||• 3rd Glyph Rune slot|
• 1st Quintessence Rune slot
• 85% IP given for Co-op vs. AI beginner bots 
|11||637||2711||12.67%||• 4th Mark Rune slot|
• No IP given for more than six custom games per day 
|12||636||3347||15.65%||• 4th Seal Rune slot|
|13||646||3993||18.67%||• 4th Glyph Rune slot|
|14||663||4656||21.77%||• 5th Mark Rune slot|
|15||684||5340||24.97%||• 5th Seal Rune slot|
• Less IP given for custom games 
|16||709||6049||28.28%||• 5th Glyph Rune slot|
|17||735||6784||31.72%||• 6th Mark Rune slot|
|18||763||7547||35.28%||• 6th Seal Rune slot|
|19||793||8340||38.99%||• 6th Glyph Rune slot|
|20||823||9163||42.84%||• Tier 3 Runes|
• 2nd Quintessence Rune slot
• 70% IP given for Co-op vs. AI beginner and 90% for AI intermediate bots 
|21||1136||10299||48.15%||• 7th Mark Rune slot|
|22||1147||11446||53.51%||• 7th Seal Rune slot|
|23||1162||12608||58.95%||• 7th Glyph Rune slot|
|24||1180||13788||64.46%||• 8th Mark Rune slot|
|25||1201||14989||70.08%||• 8th Seal Rune slot|
|26||1224||16213||75.80%||• 8th Glyph Rune slot|
|27||1250||17463||81.64%||• 9th Mark Rune slot|
|28||1278||18741||87.62%||• 9th Seal Rune slot|
|29||1308||20049||93.73%||• 9th Glyph Rune slot|
|30||1340||21389||100%||• Ranked |
• 3rd Quintessence Rune slot
• 65% IP given for Co-op vs. AI beginner and 80% for AI intermediate bots