- aura. is gold efficient without the
- As with other aura items such as , 's debuff can give away potential ganks.
- tank champions because of the high amount of armor and cooldown reduction but can also be useful for tanky support champions. is an item best suited for
- Warwick is also an good user of , as the mana helps compensate for his mana troubles, the armor will make him much more durable and the aura will improve his already awesome dueling.
- In general, this item is good on:
- Tanks and bruisers that are generally sitting on the middle of enemy team during teamfights, as they make the best use of the aura due to this (by affecting as many enemies as possible); and they are generally mana hungry. Examples include Maokai, Amumu, Wukong and Sejuani.
- Champions in general, that work well with cooldown reduction, have mana problems, and make very good use of the passive for extra dueling potential. Examples include the aforementioned Warwick, as well as Nasus, Irelia, and Olaf.
- Even if you don't need to slow the enemy's attack speed, the extra armor, mana and cooldown reduction may come handy against every AD champion.
- This item can also be bought by manaless champions, should they wish the combination of cooldown reduction, armor, and attack speed reduction in one item. It may be better to buy and/or , though, as the mana from Frozen Heart is completely wasted.
- For its combine cost of 700 gold, gives 150 mana, 30 armor, 10% cooldown reduction, and an attack speed reducing aura.
- Aatrox, Tryndamere, and ADCs in general, since they all rely on auto-attacks and the decreased attack speed will reduce their damage output. helps counter DPS carries like
- Zyra or Janna. stacks with in 700 range, effectively doubling damage. Useful on mage supports like
- items that can reduce attack speed. The attack speed slow of stacks multiplicatively with and , for a combined 27.75% attack speed slow. , and its upgrade, , are the only
- The attack speed debuff affects champions, minions, and monsters, except for the Dragon, Baron Nashor, and Vilemaw, as they are immune to crowd control.
- The icon used for is the same icon from the popular online MMO game, World of Warcraft, used to represent a 'Citrine' gem. In this game, the gem appears orange.
- The item's description "Warning: Do not thaw!" is a reference to the item Eye of Skadi from the mod DotA: Allstars, whose description contains exactly the same line.
- The 2010 Harrowing celebration. It has the same stats as the , just a different name and picture. was a seasonal item for the