|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
|"Submit to my designs."
- Champion Spotlight
- Recommended Items
- Playing As Galio
- Placing Bulwark on an ally under attack is a good way to regain Health.
- Righteous Gust can be useful for charging opponents or escaping pursuers.
- You can significantly increase the damage potential of Idol of Durand by using it when multiple enemies are close.
- Playing Against Galio
- Avoid attacking Galio's allies while they are Bulwarked, since your attacks will be less effective and will heal Galio.
- Avoid bunching up with allies when Galio is nearby.
- Interrupting Galio while he channels Idol of Durand will free any allies he's taunting.
- Galio is a tanky mage focused on dealing great AoE damage. His kit is oriented to constantly cast his spells to create an opportunity for initiation. Despite being a tank, Galio is generally played in mid lane, building magic resistance against the enemy mage. He can also be played top lane in a standard tank role or bot lane as a tanky support.
- Galio has the fourth highest level 1 attack damage, making it easier to land last hits in laning phase.
- Resolute Smite has a high base damage, hitting hard even at early levels.
- Through Bulwark, he can sustain in lane through minion aggro.
- Idol of Durand is a great tool for diving enemies with low health, as it reduces 50% of the received damage. As Runic Skin converts a percentage of his magic resist in ability power, you can play two roles at the same time.
- Galio is primarily picked against heavy magic damage teams, as his build path favors heavy magic resistance. Alternatively, Idol of Durand plays into AoE compositions.
- Since his kit is focused on dealing AoE damage, he can quickly push lanes.
- Since Galio's kit relies on constant usage of his skills, a small base mana pool and low base mana regeneration make him burn mana at high rates.
- His damage is entirely reliant on landing Resolute Smite and Righteous Gust
- Being melee, he can also be zoned during the early game by ranged mages.
- Aside from Idol of Durand, he cannot peel targets reliably as a tank.
- Runic Skin only works by building magic resistance. This means that AD champions - and full AD teams in general - will make Galio weaker overall. Don't be fooled, however, as Galio's kit is still very good against AD champions, especially DPS ones.
- Ability Usage
- Righteous Gust can be useful for initiating teamfights, chasing runners, or escaping pursuers due to its speed boost.
- Galio is a strong pick against AP casters, as he is very resistant to magic-based harass. By zoning with Galio's Resolute Smite and Righteous Gust, casters will become under-farmed and under-leveled, giving your team an advantage.
- Galio's spells are expensive early game considering his low base mana pool. Try not to spam your Resolute Smite and Righteous Gust too much early.
- In accordance with this, try to save Resolute Smite for an enemy that is going to last-hit - the animations that all champions must go through to autoattack forces them to stand still.
- Placing Bulwark on an ally under attack is a good way to protect them and regain health.
- If you are low on health, you can throw the shield on and draw minion aggro for the duration of the shield. The damage taken will be negligible in comparison to the heal.
- Try using Bulwark before casting your spells, as it indirectly increases your ability power via your passive.
- Always remember to use Bulwark right before using Idol Of Durand, or even using it during Idol of Durand as it doesn't interrupt the channel. The increased armor will minimize damage, and its healing ability may even allow you to end the move with more health than you started with. It will raise ability power as well (as a result of his passive), allowing you to increase your damage output.
- Bulwark's lack of casting time allows you to cast it defensively while simultaneously using your other spells offensively.
- You will always get the movement speed boost from Righteous Gust in the moment you cast it for 1 second (direction is initially irrelevant, you will keep the bonus if you keep moving in the ability's path) so you can smartly use it to harass and then avoid incoming counterattack with the MS boost.
- You can significantly increase the damage potential of Idol of Durand by using it near high attack speed enemies or when multiple foes are close. Keep in mind that minions are also taunted, and may be used to take more hits with minimal damage.
- Idol Of Durand is one of the strongest teamfight-oriented ultimates in the game, and it works very well with many other champions' ultimates such as Nunu's Absolute Zero or Katarina's Death Lotus.
- It can be particularly powerful if Galio's's team knows how to use it; the taunt duration can be used get past disruptive tanks, fighters, and to lock down ADC's and APC's.
- It's also, notably, one of the few abilities in-game capable of CCing an entire enemy team, so you can use it as a sacrifice, letting your more important team members escape while you take the brunt of the enemy team's damage.
- Be mindful of how long you will need to channel Idol of Durand, as the damage reduction does not make you invincible.
- Cancelling the channel early after being hit 8 times will deal as much damage as leaving the spell to channel for the full duration.
- The CC from the ultimate is sometimes more effective than the damage, so channeling the spell for the full duration in order to maximize the duration of the taunt can be beneficial.
- Idol of Durand can be used to easily get a kill on enemies pushing your turret, as turrets prioritize enemies attacking friendly champions. Pull an enemy in range of the tower and activate it to get the turret to attack them.
- Galio can initiate teamfights with into Idol of Durand, since he does not have a gap closer in his kit.
- You should be wary of any ability or item that can reduce magic resistance, as they will lower your damage output. Fiddlesticks's Dread, , and Trundle's Subjugate are examples of this.
- Because it causes champions to autoattack you, Idol of Durand is vulnerable to interruption by attack modifiers such as Blitzcrank's Power Fist, Garen's Decisive Strike, and Udyr's Bear Stance. Be careful when using it around these champions.
- Mastery Usage
- Item Usage
- ability power, magic resistance, and a useful aura. is a very strong item, offering
- Galio as it gives you great mana regen due to the cost of your spells plus the magic resistance synergizes with his passive Runic Skin to increase his ability power as well.
is a decent item for
- When upgraded to ability power, cooldown reduction and mana regeneration (which also synergizes with Mana Font) , it offers a significant boost to offense and sustain, granting increased
- All in all, Galio by the late game since between them they provide a huge amount of ability power and magic resistance, as well as three useful passive effects. and should be considered core items for
- Galio's high demand for spellcasting. Eventually, the / build path grants a lot of ability power with Galio's high base mana pool. Additionally, 's mana shield can cancel damage taken during Idol of Durand when used before it's cast. can make a viable substitute for because of
- Bulwark, as well as Armor which is useful for Galio's mid-close range playstyle. Popping Stasis immediately after burning all of your cooldowns (including Idol of Durand) after which most enemies will be trying to target you, can greatly increase your survivability and damage. is a strong offensive choice, granting the ability power for spells and health regen while using
- Galio and creates a high damage, high sustain playstyle. is a strong mid to late game choice for a more mage oriented
- Galio's low cooldown on Resolute Smite, as well as his high movement speed while buffed by Righteous Gust. is a choice that synergizes well with
- Picking up a Idol of Durand as it forces enemies to take damage from its passive. or is good against high physical damage teams, and synergizes with
- Bulwark's increased armor and magic resistance allows you to slow the enemy team heavily, together with Righteous Gust you are able to catch up with your enemies easily. Keep in mind that Cold Steel may result in less hits during Idol of Durand. in conjunction with
- Galio. It increases his magic resistance, ability power, health and helps with channeling the full duration of Idol of Durand by potentially blocking an interrupt. is a very strong item on
- Galio excels at tanking spells due to his natural build towards magic resistance; however he still needs to build decent armor unless the enemy team is entirely magic damage based.
- Galio lacks powerful initiation (which counterbalances the massive power that Idol of Durand offers). As such, he benefits from items such as that help him get into the center of a fight.
- magic resistance and boosting the strength of Bulwark's heal. is an excellent item granting
- Bonus Ability Power gained through Runic Skin
|Source||Bonus AP||Statistical Item Efficiency (after bonus AP)|
|Base Magic Resistance||16.05||NA|
|Bulwark||15 / 22.5 / 30 / 37.5 / 45||NA|
|Command: Protect||5 / 7.5 / 10 / 12.5 / 15||NA|
|10 + 7.5 (aura)||- (5 nearby allied champions)|
|10 + 7.5 (aura)||- (5 nearby allied champions)|
|10 + 7.5 (aura)||- (5 nearby allied champions)|
|20 (Unstacked) / 32.5 (Fully Stacked)||-|
- On-hit effects that apply hard CC, such as Bear Stance or Three Talon Strike can quickly interrupt Idol of Durand even while you are taunted by it. If you have them, consider saving them in expectation of it.
- Although you can no longer counter Idol of Durand with tenacity, it is still possible to buy a to remove the taunt before the end of its channel. Remember that the magic resist is useful against Galio too, since his spells do magic damage.
- Galio will certainly buy magic resist items to synergize it with his passive, Runic Skin. Therefore, if you play as a mage, it is recommended to buy a magic penetration item such as .
- Even better would be to buy a magic resist reduction item such as or , which will both minimize his damage output while increasing your damage.
- If Galio or another enemy champion is affected with Bulwark, consider changing target as Galio will regain health whenever the target is damaged.
- Because he gets "free" ability power Galio is one of the few tanks with high damage output so magic resist is usually key in preventing him to burst down a fragile opponent, like a marksman.
- Change your escape path when the enemy Galio uses Righteous Gust. The speed boost is only applied when Galio or his allies walk within the spell's path.
- Galio's damage output from Runic Skin. will give you magic resist as well as reduce
- Galio's passive allows him to counter magic damage heavy teams and deal a reasonable amount of damage and heal in return. Consider bringing champions that deal large amount of physical damage that scales in attack damage instead of mages/assassins that deal magic damage. Keep in mind that Galio can also build armor (i.e. and ); and can still punish you with his Idol of Durand.
- Galio himself exists to punish teams with too much magic damage, rather than a primary pick. He is utterly hard to kill with magic (both burst or poke) so always have balanced teams between magical and physical damage. Having too much magical damage usually makes Galio appear while a team with too much physical can result in for example Malphite.
- Late game, Galio has particular trouble against Veigar. This is because Primordial Burst's will scale off your AP, which means building magic resist won't be as effective at mitigating his magic damage (especially with ).
- Braum is a very effective counter to Galio, too. This is because if Galio uses Idol of Durand on him, his Concussive Blows will stack quickly (especially if Braum's allies are taunted too); this will stun and break Idol of Durand's channel. Braum can also break Idol of Durand from a large distance with Glacial Fissure if needed.
- Have a champion with ranged hard CC, such as Draven, Lulu, or Cho'Gath. They can break Idol of Durand's channel without having to walk up to its range and be taunted.
- Wukong can activate his ultimate Cyclone, and then intentionally taunt himself to bring him to Galio's range so that it will interrupt its channel.
- AD assassins such as Zed and Kha'Zix can easily get rid of Galio because they have high burst and this burst is physical damage, making Bulwark ineffective against them. However, they can have their effectiveness reduced with Idol of Durand during teamfights, unless they have .