|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Gangplank was designed by Fantasyworld, who has since left Riot.
- Gangplank is voiced by Dennis Collins Johnson, Who also voices Heimerdinger and Taric.
- When Gangplank triggers a critical hit, he will use his pistol for the autoattack instead of his sword.
- The final boss of Donkey Kong Country King.K.Rool is fought on his ship, the "Gangplank Galleon". During the battle he causes cannonballs to fall from the sky.
- Gangplank's skill Parrrley is spelled with 3 r's (Parrrley), a reference to popular conception of pirates speech.
- Somewhat ironically, the term is used to describe a diplomatic discussion between enemies in regards to forming an agreement or truce. "Parley" is also a running gag in the franchise.
- Gangplank's "Yarr! I'm a mighty pirate!" buff may be a reference to catch phrase from the series.
- The Pirate and Ninja buffs are corresponding references to the Pirates vs. Ninjas meme.
- Gangplank was the only champion in League of Legend capable of denying, an act of killing a friendly minion to rob enemies of last-hit gold bonuses. The ability to deny allied minions was removed in v220.127.116.11.
- His lore might be referred to the Dragon Highlord Duulket Ariakas from the Dragonlance Chronicles.
- Both had fathers that are unforgiving towards their son, both stabbed their fathers in the back then claimed their prized possession and both their fathers were "never prouder than the day he was stabbed in the back."
- NA user SantiagoBR gave birth to the "But I ate some oranges and it was k" meme.
- His appearance is similar to Redden Alt Mer, an airship captain/mercenary from the books "The voyage of the Jerle Shannara" By Terry Brooks. Miss Fortune may also be based off his sister Rue Meridian who is visually the same and "is capable of charming any man".
- Gangplank got a new German voice in 2013.
- Gangplank's quote "Yohoho, and a bottle of rum!" comes directly from the book .
- Like Janna, Gangplank is another champion to have his in-game model redone based off the Chinese Splash Art.
- It is probably a reference to the nautical folklore of .
- Although Sailor Gangplank appeared in the store on October 5, 2010, the skin was not officially released until January 10, 2011.
- It is possibly a reference to .
- This skin and Waterloo Miss Fortune skins both reference historic periods of war.
- It may be a possible reference to the movies Expendables 1 & 2.
- It is a possible reference to .
- It is a commemorative skin created to celebrate the launch of League of Legend's Brazilian servers.
- Before its release, he used to eat pineapples and bananas instead of oranges.
- Special Forces Gangplank seems to be heavily inspired by the Brazilian film Elite Squad.
- In the Brazilian version, Gangplank's quotes are similar to the ones used by Captain Nascimento and other characters from this movie.
- His appearance is also noted to be similar to Captain Price of the Modern Warfare games of the Call of Duty franchise.
- Aside from the beard, the skin also bears a strong resemblence to Solid Snake from the Metal Gear franchise.
- In the background of the Special Forces Gangplank Skin, one can see Miss Fortune and possibly Caitlyn and Talon.
- It's released to celebrate Turkish Server's 1st anniversary.
- Sultan Gangplank skin is a reference to Hayreddin Barbarossa "Redbeard", a famous Ottoman Admiral and ex-Pirate. This is strongly held by the fact that in this skin Gangplank has an extremely red beard.
- In Turkish client it has a unique voiceover by actor Zafer Algöz.
- He shares this theme with Tryndamere.
- Miss Fortune has a strong distrust for pirates and she finds herself constantly bickering with Gangplank (the only captain to resist her charms) over the direction of Bilgewater politics.
- Despite their rivalry, Gangplank and Miss Fortune struck a truce to fight off the Black Mist one year ago, at "The Battle of Knife Straits", right on the shores of the Blue Flame Island . They where apparently successful in driving the threat from the Shadow Isles back, but there where heavy casualities and the fleet was ultimatly scattered.
- Simultaneously, Nautilus managed to stall or defeat the rest of the undead threat, more to the south.