|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Garen's health regeneration is greatly increased due to his passive, Perseverance. This only activates if he can avoid receiving champion or monster damage for 9 seconds, granting him exceptional sustainability in lane, and minions don't stop his regen.
- Garen's Decisive Strike makes him a powerful chaser, easily closing the gap and silencing enemies before they can cast a slow or any debuff. It can also be used to make a swift escape since it removes slows.
- What's more this makes Garen very strong against most caster-type champions due to its silence; a lot of combos can be broken to save teammates and prevent casters (be AP or AD) from unleashing full damage with an ability combo, especially since Garen himself is naturally tanky enough to rush in with little casualties, be it 1 v 1 or in a large teamfight while aiming for certain targets.
- Decisive Strike can be used effectively to push lanes, as this ability also affects structures (turrets and inhibitors).
- Using Decisive Strike to catch up with, silence, and deal damage to a fleeing champion is the perfect precursor to a killing blow with Demacian Justice.
- Decisive Strike can be used to return to/move between lanes more swiftly, as it has no mana costs and a fairly low cooldown.
- Garen can be lethal in early game fights, especially after getting his ultimate. Judgment deals good continuous damage to enemies. Decisive Strike's speed boost is good for chasing enemies. Demacian Justice also does extra damage based on how much health the enemy has missing
- Garen's best starting skill is Decisive Strike, as it can be used to last-hit, silence, speed himself up, remove slows, reset autoattacks and has very high burst damage at early levels.
- Courage and Decisive Strike mix well for a powerful chasing and escape combo. The speed boost from Decisive Strike letting you get into, or out of range, while the damage reduction of Courage allows you to take reduced damage from nearby minions and enemies when chasing or escaping.
- Because of strong early game damage from Judgment, Garen lanes well with a partner with an early game stun such as Sion's Cryptic Gaze or Taric's Dazzle.
- Unlike other abilities, Judgment remains active when Garen is stunned because it is not a channeled spell.
- With some points into Judgment, Garen can easily farm and push minions with it.
- Judgment is Garen's main source of damage, but has a significant cooldown and long duration to maximize its damage. Make sure you activate Judgment properly or you will be left being fairly ineffectual in combat while it cools down.
- Beware that Demacian Justice can be blocked by and its damage depends on the enemy champion's magic resistance and health.
- Demacian Justice can be activated during Judgment on an enemy at low health. This will cause Garen to immediately end his spin and cast if the target is in range.
Garen is a melee champion, who excels in killing enemies and being able to take lots of punishment.
- is a good early item for him. It can later be built into , which is very effective on Garen as Judgment will be able to fully stack the armor reduction passive.
- Another option would be ; it gives similar AD and Armor penetration, but it also gives critical chance and a short boost to movement and attack speed. This makes it a great late game item when critical chance outscales raw AD and Garen can use the extra attack speed to help destroy turrets.
- They can also be built together for an easy source of 20% CDR to combine with . This also increases wave minion clear due to minions having low armor values.
- is a good counter to teams stacking mass amounts of armor.
- As both Decisive Strike and Judgment benefits from critical strike, items such as increases the ability's damage output as well as his basic attacks.
- is a good item to top off Garen's build, as it gives more AD and crit chance along with armor.
- is a good anti-mage item. An early can help Garen against magic damage.
- synergizes well with Perseverance, easily allowing him to regenerate 0.48% of his health each second.
- is an excellent health item for Garen, as it provides some attack damage and a powerful slow to help Garen stick to his target. It also synergizes well with .
- is great on Garen as well. The item's passive along with Perseverance allows him to regenerate 0.6% of his health per second, allowing him to recover health quickly after teamfights without going back to base. The extra health along with Courage makes him very hard to kill in a teamfight.
- In combination with Judgment, an early helps with Garen's wave clearing capabilities, as well as providing mixed damage.
- helps reduce being kited by enemy champions and reduces the enemy ranged carry's DPS. An early is good against autoattack-reliant champions such as Kayle, Xin Zhao, Fiora, et cetera.
|The Howling Abyss|
|The Crystal Scar|
|The Twisted Treeline|
- Garen damage output is very high early game; avoid early confrontations and play passively if needed.
- Harass Garen in lane every few seconds, if possible, to minimize the effect of Perseverance.
- Ranged champions can easily stop Perseverance with an autoattack (unless Garen goes farther back, which has him give up last-hits) and farm in lane while a safe distance from him - they generally also have abilities to let them keep away from Garen even if he charges at them. Ranged carries in particular will scale far stronger than Garen in this situation, avoiding his early-game advantages while securing their own late-game advantages.
- Avoid going into a brush that does not have a ward in it if Garen's current whereabouts are unknown. Garen players have a tendency to hide in bushes, due to the synergy between his silence from Decisive Strike and damage from Judgment.
- Garen is a cooldown based champion. However, all of his ability cooldowns are very high. Try to attack him when they are on cooldown.
- Decisive Strike is very good at stopping combos due to its silence; if you happen to be playing a caster-type champion who relies a lot on their abilities to output most of their damage, then Garen depending on how tanky he is should have no problem charging in to take punishment and to silence you, disabling usage of your abilities and even halting you in between your combos. This can be very dangerous or annoying depending on the situation; as Garen can save a teammate from your burst or even save himself, as well as leaving you helpless without any possible defensive abilities as you take damage while fleeing.
- Be very cautious when low on health and Garen's Demacian Justice is off cooldown.
- It is often worth the investment to purchase armor to counter Garen's high physical damage.
- Think carefully before using your Crowd Control abilities on Garen. His Decisive Strike will removes Slows, and Courage will reduce the duration of such abilities by 30% while Active. Additionally, hard CC will not stop the channel on Judgment only his movement. Keep away from him, especially if playing softer champions, as it deals very high damage over a short duration.
- Like most melee champions, Garen is quite vulnerable to ranged harassment.
- But because of his really high damage and the fact that most ranged champs are squishy, at lvl 6 he can burst them down instantly. So if the ranged champ doesn't get a good advantage over him, he will melt anyway.
- Buying a may help as it may block most (if not all) of the damage from Garen's Demacian Justice. Do not forget that his main form of damage is still physical, however.
- Because Garen usually builds a lot of health, getting champions or items that deal % health damage can cause him to melt quickly, such as active and passive, Amumu's Despair, Kog'Maw's Bio-Arcane Barrage, Vayne's Silver Bolts and Zed's Contempt for the Weak. High lifesteal is also an effective counter.