|"Listen close- urgh, I have important- urgh! This is why I can't take you nice places!"
In V4.20, the base statistics of all champions changed. Please be wary that the information displayed below may be out-dated.
|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Garen was designed by Geeves.
- Garen is voiced by .
- Garen is one of the three playable champions in the League of Legends Proving Grounds tutorial, alongside Ashe and Ryze.
- In the A Twist of Fate trailer, Garen's model was made by Alessandro Baldasseroni.
- Garen's old dance is a choreography by N'Sync in the music video for "Bye Bye Bye". A side by side comparison can be seen here.
- Garen's new dance is a reference to Johnny Bravo's "Monkey Dance". A side by side comparison can be seen here.
- Contrary to popular belief, Garen yells "Demacia!" when using Courage and not during Judgment or Demacian Justice. This is due to many players using the two abilities together often in tandem.
- The phrase "Spin To Win!" originated from how easily some kills were obtained with Judgment. The most famous video about it is an animation of Garen spinning his sword to by .
- Coincidentally, much of Garen's kit is a possible basis for Wukong, mainly due to both characters having:
- A "Q" ability that scales over 100% in attack damage as an attack booster with an extra effect ( Decisive Strike silences with a movement speed boost while Wukong's Crushing Blow reduces armor by 30%).
- A passive ability that increases their defensive stats (with Garen's being a normal ability with not only percentage defensive boosts, but also with a damage reduction active while Wukong's only being a standard passive with flat defense boosts.)
- Point-and-click spells; Garen's can only target one champion with it and acts as his ult; Wukong's can hit two extra targets in range, moves him to said target(s) and acts as a normal ability instead.
- Wukong's Cyclone and Judgment involve a very similar spinning animation and the way their hits are racked up and how they can involve bonus movement speed during cast time and cancellation. A number of certain item actives and summoner spells can even be used during their cast times.
- The only differences here are that Judgment is a normal ability with a chance to critically strike per hit and does lower damage to minions, while also being interruptible with Demacian Justice. Cyclone is an ult itself that knocks up and can only be interrupted on command instead of with another ability.
- His ultimate is mentioned in a famous mod, Median XL, in a form of a sacred unique long sword. The weapon is called Demacian Justice.
- Garen is first champion to have his IP price reduced twice. Other champions are Warwick and Miss Fortune.
- Garen pre-visual update was one of the few champions to have three different auto attack animations.
- After his Visual Update, Garen has become the champion with the highest amount of jokes, with a total of six, surpassing Vi (who previously held the highest amount with five) and Swain and Lux (both of them having four).
- Garen is one of the 8 champions who do not have a single skill that scales off ability power; along with Darius, Draven, Olaf, Riven, Talon, Vayne and Zed.
- Garen's joke and his taunt were changed from the Test Realm to Release. The previous joke was "I know you're in that bush!"
- Garen's old joke was a reference to the commercials, which always end with the line, "You're gonna like the way you look. I Garen-tee it. Get it?"
- Garen shares a quote with Irelia: "Forge Onward."
- Garen shares a quote with Hecarim: "Break their ranks!"
- This skin is considered to be legacy by Riot, and is no longer on sale.
- Most players consider this skin to be inspired by the Swordmaster , from Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi series, .
- This skin is obtainable for free if you follow League of Legends on Twitter.
- It is most likely a reference to the class from . His gear closely resembles their gear and he has the typical Death Knight's glowing blue eyes.
- He shares this theme with Nasus.
- In his skin arts he is holding his sword in his left hand, but in-game he holds it in his right hand.
- It was originally called "Vagabond Garen", and may be based on from the book and game series, , or , from J.R.R. Tolkien's .
- It is possibly a homage to the of which their primarch (leader/genetic forbearer) is , from the series.
- It is referrence the Engineer class from Torchlight 2 game series. His gear resembles the Engineer's ember-powered armor.
- His skin is also reference to the Nemesis Force Weapon from the Grey Knights. from series. His sword resembles an activated
- The weight of the skin is enough to make him not able to somersault forward during his Decisive Strike, instead making him leap straight up. After the visual upgrade, this is true for all the skins.
- He shares this theme with Lux.
- Garen and Katarina first fought during a war between Demacia and Noxus. Garen has fought with her ever since, whenever the opportunity presents itself.
- Garen and Katarina were the ones who stopped the inter-city brawl in Kalamanda.
- According to Blitzcrank's "Fleshling Compatibility Service," a dating service made by Blitzcrank, Katarina and Garen make a perfect couple, but are not officially together. Fans have since been joking about their relationship. When he jokes a nearby enemy Katarina, he's trying to impress her with how many push-ups he can do. In the other joke he has a flirty tone in his voice.
- During a Creative Design AMA about Katarina, when asked about the relationship between herself and Garen, RiotRaven stated that they aren't quite rivals, yet have "a romantic connection, from times gone by. "
- The sixth issue of the Journal of Justice states Garen's family name is Crownguard, and every member of his family has joined the Demacian armed forces. His father and mother, Marcus and Lilia, are officials of the legislative Demacian Council. His younger sister Lux joined the military when she was thirteen.
- Garen is a childhood companion of Jarvan IV, the crown prince of Demacia.
- Garen once protected Katarina when she came to Demacia to protest about High Councilor Heywan Relivash's conspiracy in Kalamanda along with Jarvan IV.