Gold is the in-game currency of League of Legends. It is used to buy items in the shop that provide champions with bonus stats and abilities, which in turn is one of the main ways for champions to increase their power over the course of a game.
At the beginning of the game, champions are given starting gold based on the map being played on, and can receive more gold through various means.
- Summoner's Rift: Champions start with 500.
- Twisted Treeline: Champions start with 850.
- Howling Abyss: Champions start with 1400.
- Crystal Scar:
Base gold generation
Every champion passively generates gold at a rate that varies from map to map. This gold gain does not begin until minions spawn.
- Summoner's Rift: 20.4 per 10 seconds.
- Twisted Treeline: 16 per 10 seconds.
- Howling Abyss: 55 per 10 seconds.
- Crystal Scar: 56 per 10 seconds (instead starts at 1:30).
Increasing passive gold gain
Champions can earn gold passively, without requiring direct action from the player. It is typically quantified in terms of the amount of gold gained over 10 seconds ("gold per 10" for short). Passive gold gain does not activate until minions spawn, and can be increased by gold-generating items.
The following gold income items will passively generate gold every 10 seconds, only one of them may be carried at a time.
Increasing active gold gain
Champions can also gain gold by doing certain actions. Gold that is earned through direct action from the player is considered active gold gain. It can be increased by items.
- when killing enemy minions.
With Favor, by picking up gold coins from enemy minions:
With Spoils of War, by killing enemy minions near an ally champion:
With Tribute, by damaging enemy champions or structures:
Minions, monsters, and pets
- The gold earned from minion kills is dependent on the game time. As the game progresses, each minion is worth more.
- The gold earned from neutral monsters also increases over time, depending on when the monsters were spawned. In addition, the largest monster in a minor camp will slowly increase its gold value to a modest cap after approximately two minutes.
- Pets and summons such as , , , and grant gold to the champion who kills them.
- Certain epic monsters give gold globally, providing gold for the entire team. The champion who lands the killing blow receives additional gold.
Gold can be earned by killing or assisting in killing enemy champions. The gold gain is determined by how many kills the slain champion has recently accumulated (champions that have killed many enemies without dying are worth more gold).
- Destroying a turret grants varying amounts of gold.
- Destroying an inhibitor or nexus grants the player 50, but the latter is irrelevant as it also causes the game to end.
- When someone on your team seizes an altar 80 is globally earned for each member of the team.
- Players gain 100 for neutralizing a point, and 100 for capturing a point. This number is dependent on the number of champions involved in the capture of a point: two champions will each gain 75, and three champions will each gain 63.
- All items can be sold back at the shop for 70% of their total cost.
- The exceptions to this rule are returning only 40% of their original cost:
- When you undo an item purchase, you are refunded the full cost. Gold generation items also return any gold they generated.
- Most gold possible from a single teamfight : 7250 (abilities and items that increase gold income excluded)