Hextech Crafting was launched on:
- Hextech Chests
- Players earn a Mastery Chest whenever they or a member of their premade party earn an S-, S or S+, while they are playing a champion eligible to earn a chest and have an available chest slot.
- Chests must be unlocked with a Hextech key.
- Players can earn up to four chests at a time and chest slots regenerate at the rate of one chest slot every 7 days. This is shown in the Summoner Profile.
- Champions eligible to earn chests are shown on the Champion Profile.
- Players can only earn chests on champions they own.
- Even though the Profile refers them as "Mastery Chests", Chests rewarded by Mastery Grades are identical to Hextech purchased in the store.
- Hextech Chests can be purchased in the store for 125.
- Purchased Hextech Chests do not count toward the earned limit.
- Players have a chance to craft Keys from earned Key Fragments. Fragments can be earned with each matchmade victory, with an increased chance the more players in their premade party.
- Keys unlock Chests at the Hextech Crafting Table, which contain "Loot". Loot is a general term for Rare Gems, content-specific Shards, Champion Essence and Cosmetic Essence, with the possibility for multiple drops. There is no chance of getting solely essence.
Key Fragments Key Fragments are used to craft Keys, with 3 Fragments required per single Key. Fragment drop rates are NOT linear and only wins have a chance of dropping a Key Fragment. So you will earn Key Fragments much faster in your earlier wins than you will in your later wins. Or said another way, each incremental Key Fragment drop is harder than the last (on average... there is variance). This resets on a basis of 4 weeks for each player individually. The goal is to create a nice ebb and flow. Amount of Key Fragments that any player can gain prior to every reset is a constant (12) and allows to unlock precisely one free Chest per week. This does not include 4 free startup Chests. Once a player gains all available free Keys per four weeks period, Fragments will not drop until the next reset.
- Drop rate is procedural random, with safeguards to prevent excessive bad luck.
- Grade does not impact Key Fragment drop chance.
- Premades do increase drop chance.
- Chests earned has no impact on Key Fragment drop chance.
- Expected amount of full-premade matchmade games to gain 4 Keys prior to single reset is around 100.
- There is currently a known bug that prevents unowned champions to drop Key Fragments.
- Rare Gems
- Rare loot item which can be consumed to obtain a Hextech Chest and a Key.
- 10 Gemstones can be used to obtain [ | or [ |
- 5 Gemstones can be used to obtain the Hextech Ward
Crafting Materials are obtained when a Hextech Chest is unlocked. They include essences and shards.
- Champion Essence
- Used for upgrading Champion shards to permanent versions.
- Used for achieving Tier 6 and Tier 7 champion mastery.
- Obtained through disenchanting Champion shards and permanent champions.
- Cosmetic Essence
- Used for upgrading Champion skins shards and Ward skins shards to permanent versions.
- Obtained through disenchanting cosmetic shards and permanent cosmetic items (i.e.: Champion skin shards).
- Can be combined via Hextech Crafting to unlock permanent content (champions or cosmetic).
- Each shard resembles a glassy portrait of a specific champion or cosmetic.
- Contains all your Shards and Permanent content (champions and cosmetics), and displays your Essence in an interface similar to a store.
- Only content obtained through Hextech Crafting is displayed in the inventory.
- This means content obtained through other methods (i.e.: RP Store or Mystery Gifts) cannot be used with Hextech Crafting.
- Activate a Shard (Champion or cosmetic) for 7-day rental. This action consumes the shard.
- Activate a Permanent (Champion or cosmetic) to permanently add them to your collection.
- Shards or Permanents can be disenchanted into the appropriate Essence (Champion or Cosmetic).
- Shards disenchant for a third of their RP Cost ( RP Cost ÷ 3).
- Permanents disenchant for half of their RP Cost ( RP Cost ÷ 2).
- 3 Champion Shards or Permanents can be combined to create a random, permanent Champion.
- 3 Cosmetic Shards or Permanents of the same type can be combined to create a random, permanent Cosmetic of that type.
- Essence will also be awarded if the resulting content is worth less than what was used to reroll.
- Champion Essence can be used to upgrade a Champion Shard into a permanent unlock.
- Cosmetic Essence can be used to upgrade a Cosmetic Shard into a permanent unlock.
- The formula to calculate the Essence cost for upgrading shards to permanent is ( RP Cost − 300).
- Champion Crafting
|450 / 260||3||60||87 () OR 130 ()||1|
|1350 / 585||3||285||195 () OR 293 ()||1|
|3150 / 790||3||490||263 () OR 395 ()||1|
|4800 / 880||3||580||293 () OR 440 ()||1|
|6300 / 975||3||675||325 () OR 488 ()||1|
- Skin Crafting
- Ward Skin Crafting
|640||3||340||213 () OR 320()||1|
By Mirross 
Everyone’s favorite combo of sugar, spice, nice, and plenty of burning is getting a new skin as part of hextech crafting and loot. In order to secure appropriate testing for Hextech Annie, we’re putting her and her hextechnically-augmented Tibbers on PBE early, but don’t expect her to debut with the launch of hextech crafting and loot.
Featuring an all-new model, textures, animations and particle effects as well as new sounds, Hextech Annie is intended to be available exclusively through hextech crafting and the loot system by acquiring 10 gemstones either in normal chests and promotional chests through rare drops or by picking up special promo chest bundles (which’ll guarantee a gemstone drop). Gemstones are rare loot drops that can be crafted into a chest and key bundle or saved to combine to craft Hextech Annie.
Promo chests will only be available at limited times and may have different content inside compared to normal chests. For testing on the PBE, we’ve unlocked Hextech Promo Chest bundles in the store so players can pick up Hextech Annie as soon as possible. During this test, buying one of the 10-chest bundles guarantees a gemstone in addition to the gemstones you can find in the chests themselves.
As we mentioned at the beginning, Hextech Annie won’t be available at the launch of hextech crafting and loot. We’ll test her on PBE before testing her release to live servers in Turkey (where we’ve been testing hextech crafting and loot for a little while now). When hextech crafting and loot debut on all live servers, Hextech Annie will follow shortly after.
Lastly, we’re pretty sure everyone’s used to this by now, but please keep in mind the promo chests have been heavily discounted for testing on PBE, and the drop rates of items in the chests may also change before we go live.
Leave your feedback on the skin or even the idea of a free, exclusive skin in hextech crafting below, and we’ll see you on the PBE battlefields!