Once an enemy team's inhibitor is destroyed, the Nexus will start spawning Super Minions (replacing the siege minions with Super Minions if the wave normally includes one).
Each team has 3 Inhibitors on Summoner's Rift and 2 on Twisted Treeline, of which at least one must be destroyed for the Nexus and its turrets to be vulnerable to attack. Every inhibitor is protected by a turret; while this turret is up, the inhibitor is invulnerable to attacks. When all of the enemy team's inhibitors are destroyed, each lane spawns two Super Minions per minion wave.
Destroyed inhibitors respawn after 5 minutes, resulting in Super Minions no longer being trained.
Once its protecting turret is destroyed the inhibitor is extremely susceptible to backdooring. An enemy marksman will be able to take down an unprotected inhibitor before a defending champion can and walk to defend it. Additionally, one can't directly to it. Destroying an inhibitor can often be worth more than a few champion kills because of the immense lane pressure that Super Minions will provide. (As of patch 3.14, destroyed inhibitors no longer increase the strength of all minions in all lanes).
Reward for destruction
- Unlike turrets, inhibitors do not gain any armor or magic resistance when no enemy minions are within its sight range.
- Though they have no armor, inhibitors take 87.5% damage from champions.
- Damage with basic attacks to inhibitors is based on 100% base AD plus either 100% bonus AD or 40% AP, whichever is higher.
- When the announcer notifies that either yours or the enemy's inhibitor will respawn soon, said inhibitor will respawn in 15 seconds.
- In Summoner's Rift, destroying the Inhibitor will spawn two Super Minion in each wave for the next 8 minion waves. Usually two minion waves before the Inhibitor completely recover will not have any Super Minions.
- In Howling Abyss, destroying the Inhibitor will spawn a Super Minion in each wave for the next 10 minion waves.
The Inhibitors were sometimes referred to as "Barracks" (e.g. in detailed statistics), the name of a similar building in DotA.