Ionia, in original Vastayan nomenclature: The First Lands, is a land of unspoiled beauty and natural magic. Its inhabitants, living in scattered settlements across this massive island continent, are a spiritual people who seek to live in harmony and balance with the world. There are many orders and sects across Ionia, each following their own (often conflicting) paths and ideals. Self-sufficient and isolationist, Ionia has remained largely neutral in the wars that have ravaged Valoran over the centuries - until it was invaded by Noxus. This brutal conflict and occupation has forced Ionia to reassess its place in the world. How it reacts and the future path Ionia will follow is as of yet undetermined, however, animosity against Noxus has led to militarization and vigilantism. Thirst for the dark arts is on the rise.
Champions of Ionia
Other Related Champions
- is a celestial that intervened at the Battle of Bard Mountain.
- was a Noxian field commander during the Noxian invasion.
- is searching for remaining Lunari in Ionia.
- is a Bilgewater pirate that ransacked Temple of the Jagged Knife.
- is a God-Willow trainee.
- is a Demacian spy who extracted valuable information for Ionia in the Noxus-Ionia conflict.
- is a Marai Tidecaller searching for the Aspect of the Moon in Ionia.
- visited Hirana Monastery during his search for the World Runes.
- was an orphan from this region.
- had caused the death of numerous Ionian citizens.
- had caused the death of numerous Ionian citizens, lost his arm to .
- was brought to Ionia during the Noxus invasion and was later trained under .
- is the vessel for four eternal spirits and defended Ionia during the Noxus invasion.
- is a Demacian that was born in Ionia.
- currently resides in Ionia having been adopted by the Konte family and put on trial for the murder of Elder Souma.
Ionia is a naturally beautiful continent nation full of ancient trees, tall mountains and tranquil rivers. The entire landscape is covered with large patches of forests teeming with life.
- Every child in Valoran has heard the tale before, about the cursed mummy boy who felt his heart no more.
- Starring and .
- Greef is the key, turned by loss. One needs only the glimmer of hope. That sound you hear is an arrow of retribution.
- Witness the incarnation of vengeance.
- Starring , , and .
- I wear newly-woven flesh of meat and bone and skin to bear my form. But I am eternal.
- When Runeterra's sacred treasures are misused, the Wandering Caretaker intervenes.
- Starring .
- The curiosity of the outside world.
- Starring .
- This assassin doesn’t just strike from the shadows - he is the shadow. And they don’t stand a chance.
- Starring .
- A young stone mage from Shurima encounters an unlikely mentor in the mountains of Ionia.
- Starring and .
- In the wake of war between Noxus and Ionia, Riven is accused of a heinous crime.
- Riven stands trial for the murder of Yasuo's master.
- As the trial concludes, Riven must finally face the horrors of her past.
- Starring and .
- The actions of one may sunder the world, but the efforts of many may rebuild it.
- Starring .
- The Eye is blind to fear, to hate, to love - to all things that would sway equilibrium.
- Starring .
- Ahri walks in disguise, but th fortune-teller has her own secret. What are they both hiding?
- Starring .
- More than memories are lost in the garden - what will become of Ahri if she surrenders hers?
- Starring .
- Chimeras with human blood? Spiritual magic from an ancient race? In my humble inquiries I have stumbled upon afar greater questions...this shall make for quite the chronicle. A best-seller, in fact. "Eduard Santangelo, gentleman of Piltover, explorer of ionia, who discovered the wondrous vastaya in the wilds of Ionia." I can already hear them clamoring for the first edition.
- Starring .
- When a life hangs in the balance, there are two options; slow and smart, or fast and dumb.
- Starring and .
- Weaving through a monastery guarded by shadow acolytes is a dangerous dance...
- Starring and .
- ...but with your heartfire by your side, no mission can withstand your graceful strike.
- Starring and .
- Restoring the wild magic of Ionia won't be easy when a deadly enemy lurks in the shadows.
- Starring , , and .
- The child is gone. The killer remains.
- Starring and .
- Will he deliver death with a whisper or make the world scream?
- Starring and .
- Art requires a certain... cruelty.
- Starring , , , and .
- I will make you beautiful. I will make you perfect. Dive into the meticulous mind of Jhin, the Virtuoso.
- Starring .
- There was a time when I danced only for myself. Now, I dance for the First Lands.
- Starring .
- A decade after the Battle of the Placidium, Ionia honors the young woman who inspired a revolution.
- Starring and .
- The stars tell their own stories. Some speak of past events. Some speak of... other things.
- Starring .
Creation of the Vastaya
The vastaya's origins can be traced back to a hidden corner of Ionia where a group of humans fled to escape the Great Void War. There, these refugees came into contact with a tribe of intelligent shapeshifting creatures who were greatly in tune with the world's natural magicks. These spiritual creatures, known as the Vasthayshai'rei, welcomed the human refugees and eventually produced what Runeterrans now refer to as vastaya - a blanket classification for any number of species of chimeric creatures. Over time, the varied offshoots began to settle in different regions and naturally adopted different forms (simian, avine, piscine etc.) according to the creatures which most embodied their strongest characteristics.
Sometime after, many Vastaya migrated to far away lands outside of their original home of Ionia.
Destruction of the God-Willow
In ancient times, after the creation of the Vastaya, some of these races individuals have started residing and protecting the sacred spiritual tree known as the God-Willow (or Heart of the World). Located in the sacred grove of Omikayalan. This massive tree, dripping with long gossamer leaves that shimmered with golden-green light, was of immense importance to both Human Ionians and the Vastaya people of the continent, which guarded the tree from anyone who wished it harm. Unfortunately, the tree was destroyed due to an invading war party from the Freljord, its leader transformed by its natural energy into the being known as.
The Shadows Released
An orphan,was taken in and trained by a great ninja master. Only one other student appeared to be Zed's equal - the master's son, . It seemed Zed could never win the favor of the master, as every match between the rivals ended in a draw. Frustrated and jealous, he sought an advantage. The young ninja ventured into a sealed part of the clan's temple, where he found an ornate, foreboding box. Sensing the dark knowledge within, Zed knew he should not open it, but he peered inside nonetheless. In an instant, shadows touched his mind, revealing techniques that had long been hidden. Now armed with a secret edge, he challenged Shen, and this time he defeated the master's son. He expected praise and recognition in his moment of victory, but somehow the master knew Zed had used forbidden ways, and banished him.
Humiliated, the young ninja wandered for years. His bitterness turned to ambition, and he began to train others in the style of the shadows. But he knew that without the box his style would never be perfect and thus he swore to return there one day and retrieve the box.
The Fall of the Kinkou Order
One day,looked at his followers and saw that his students were now an army. He led them back to the temple to claim his prize. At the gates, he was surprised to find the old master waiting, receiving Zed and his disciples as if they were welcome guests. The old man laid his sword at Zed's feet, declaring that he had failed Zed as his master. By banishing his former student, the master had doomed Zed to the shadows, instead of leading him to the balanced path. The old man implored Zed to enter the temple, destroy the box, and lead his followers to balance. The dark ninja followed the master inside. Moments later, the assembled ninjas heard Zed cry out in pain. Mysteriously, he emerged unscathed and threw the severed head of the master at Shen's feet. Screaming in rage, Zed commanded his followers to slaughter the master's students and seize the box.
That day, the old ninja order fell. Though many students died, some escaped thanks toheroic efforts. Now the temple is a dark training ground for the Order of Shadows. Zed rules as the Order's master, and his edict is simple: perfect one's technique, and kill all ninjas who refuse to embrace the shadows.
From its formation, the residents of Ionia preferred to pursue personal enlightenment instead of waging constant battles with other nations. The militaristic nation of Noxus saw their "weakness" as an opportunity. No longer in direct war with Demacia, Noxus had turned its expansionist eye towards conquering those who remained outside of the Demacians' jurisdiction. Noxian spies began to trade aggressively with the Ionians, traveling through provinces to study its weaknesses and identify critical targets. When the plan was formed, the forces of Noxus struck.
The southern provinces of Ionia were the most open to trade and were also among the wealthiest. It was there that the Noxian forces landed under the cover of night. After being met with little resistance, Noxus’ forces formed their first beachheads and began their invasion. While the war was heavily in the favor of the Noxian forces, the Ionians would not surrender. In response to a growing Ionian resistance, Noxus brought in mercenaries from Zaun. The mad scientists implemented unspeakable tactics, unleashing their cruel creations on noncombatant civilians. These acts of terror were what finally brought forth the full anger of the Ionians.
Bringing all its might and martial traditions to bear, the nation fought back fiercely. The turning point of the war came at the "Great Stand of the Placidium", where the Ionians forced the Noxians to stop their advance and give ground. Though they suffered high casualties, the Ionian warriors eventually brought the invaders to a stalemate, pushing them back to their power bases. Despite their losses, the forces of Noxus still hold in control of a few provinces.
The Battle of Bard Mountain
Noxian troops tried to capture the Bard Mountains and obtain a celestial artifact bestowed to the Ionians of the Floating villages. During the battle, the village sage was tasked to take the artifact to one of the Celestial shrines on the top of one of the villages peaks. The Noxians mortally wounded him with arrows before he could reach the shrine. However, as his last act of defiance, he used the artifact to strike his would-be-killer, obliterating him and slicing a nearby mountain in half (seemingly faltering in his duties). This misuse of the egg's power had drawn the attention of a, who promptly intervened in the event. He retrieved the artifact and took it away from the mortal plane before the Noxians and Ionians could use its power for war.
Castle in the Sky
Many years have passed since the Noxian-Ionian War in which both sides haven't achieved complete victory. While Ionians were able to repel further Noxian invaders from the heartland, Noxus still retained several coastal territories. Among these was Fae'lor island governed by a Vastayan turncoat known as Kalan.
Several Ionians that once called this island their home infiltrated its castle in the hopes of reaching Dael'eh Ahira, the Dreaming Cave, and kill the immensely powerful mage that was locked inside decades before.
Their mission was proven unsuccessful. Fae'lor was all but destroyed, its castle lifted from the ground by the now freedinto the sky and moved northward to an unknown location.
Visions of Ionia
Bahrl is and island region located in the south-western part of Ionia. Tevasa, Wuju, Epool River are located here.
- Wuju: Located on the Island region of Bahrl, it is the birthplace of and the art of Wuju. It has since been destroyed during the Noxian Invasion of Ionia.
- Tevasa: It is located on the Island region of Bahrl. At the footholds of the mountain, there is a small peaceful village with approximately hundred people. During the Noxian invasion of Ionia, pillaging Noxian soldiers were defeated by the hands of who grew attached to all the villagers and had a desire to protect them from harm.
Fae'lor was once a rich island located at the southwest part of Ionia. It was the location of the Dael'eh Ahira , the Dreaming Cave, which was the previous prison of. It was previously occupied by Noxus after the Noxian-Ionian War, but has since been destroyed and made lifeless, and its Castle ripped away by and moved somewhere above Ionia.
Galrin is an island sub-region of Houhjo located in the southern-most Ionia. Ghetu Sea, Nistaram Forest, and Pallas are located here.
- Pallas: Located on the island region of Garlin, the ancient village Pallas was established upon the coastal shores. The inhabitants of this village have forgotten their uncounted and long history but their duty as custodians to the Temple of Pallas has never gone abandoned.
- Temple of Pallas: Aeons ago a gold-armored figure arrived upon the western shore of Ionia, bringing with her an insatiable device. Here she imprisoned a bow within a deep chasm and sealed it off using the natural magic from the Ionian landscape. The nearby settlement was tasked with maintaining the seals as what lurked inside was powerful enough to fade magic and eventually be unleashed. Erecting a grand temple the villagers haven't wavered from this task, despite it's purpose being forgotten to them.
Houhjo is an island region located in the southern most part of Ionia. It consists of two island sub-regions: Garlin and Sudaro.
Ionian Mainland is an island region located in the western part of Ionia. It consists of three regions: Navori, Mountains, and Shon-Xan. It is also the location of the Ionian Capital and The Placidium.
The Mountains mostly refers the mountainous regions of the Ionian mainland. Bard Mountain, Floating Villages, and Vlonqo are located here.
- Bard Mountain: Located on the Ionian Mainland, Bard Mountain is the location of the Floating Villages which housed an incredibly powerful Celestial artifact and was the first recent location from which came to intervene in mortal affairs.
Located on the Ionian Mainland, Navori is a central province home to the Capital, verious villages, prestigious schools, sacred magical gardens and the iconic Placidium of Navori. These cluster of islands are linked together with large magical bridges that form roads between them.
- Kinkou Monastery: Located in the Navori region of the Ionian Mainland, the Kinkou Monastery is the home to an ancient warrior-clan.
- Lhotlan Tribe: Located deep within the Lhradi Forest of Navori, it is the home of the Lhotlan Tribe of Humanoid Avian Vastaya of the same name. The most well-known inhabitants from this tribe are the freedom fighters known as and .
- Omikayalan: It is located in the Navori region of the Ionian Mainland. Known as the Heart of the World, the grove is a sacred place all Ionians. Chimeric beings, the Vastaya, half human, half animal protected its most important landmark: the God Willow, a massive tree, dripping with long gossamer leaves that shimmered with golden-green light. During ancient times, a battle between the groves protectors and Freljordian warriors ended with the God-Willow's destruction. The whimpers of countless beasts, the bawling of rivers, the howling of trees and the dripping tears of moss, they lamented the God-Willow’s death in a symphony of mourning. Centuries have passed and at the place where the God-Willow once stood, a being known as the emerged with a clear in his mission and purpose in life, to protect all life and teach the world's people to respect and appreciate all that is.
- Placidium: The Placidium, one of Ionia’s most iconic structures, it is located in the heart of the nation. This building is home to the School of Transcendentalism, an organization dedicated to raising Runeterra’s populace to the greatest spiritual heights possible. The school is most noted for having the League champion as part of its governing board of regents. Habitants flock to the school, seeking the secrets of spiritual enlightenment. Many of Ionia’s most successful diplomats have spent at least some time studying at the School of Transcendentalism.
Oulin is an island region located in the north-eastern part of Ionia.
Qaelin is an island region located in the eastern part of Ionia.
Ralin is the north-eastern most island region of Ionia. Hirana and its Academy and Monastery are located here.
- Hirana Monastery: Located in the island province of Ralin, Hirana Monastery is a place of which monks are renowned for self-control.
Shon-Xan is a region located east of Navori on the Ionian Mainland. Northern Highlands and Puboe are located here.
Sudaro is an island sub-region of Houhjo located in the southern most part of Ionia.
A southern mountainous island province of Ionia, it was previously plagued by the infamous. Tuula and Jyom Pass are located within this region. Before the Invasion of Ionia, Zhyun was known to have its own Council.
- Jyom Pass: Located in the island province of Zhyun, Jyom Pass was the location where was captured by Kusho, , and . The Blossom Festival was held here.
- Kashuri: Located in the island province of Zhyun, The Kashuri Armories have been making weapons for a long time, mostly swords and bows. The war against Noxus had changed that. They began making poor copies of hextech weapons during the war. Now they have been "inspired" to make new weapons harnessing the abundant magic in Ionia. Hextech uses a little bit of magic very efficiently. weapons use a lot of magic.
- Temple of the Jagged Knife: Located in the island province of Zhyun, it is controlled by Order of the Shadows. It has been previously ransacked by and his pirate crew.
- Tuula: It is a city located in the southern mountainous province of Zhyun. It is in its prison where was initially imprisoned by Kusho, , and .
- For more detail, see .
Ionia has a myriad of over 200 different species of talking Dragons. Those who study them also speak of ancient, elemental runes split between the bloodlines.
One of the most oldest living magical trees in Ionia, it was recently destroyed by. Its magical and life essence infused inside the Dark Sovereign.
One of the most oldest living magical trees in Ionia, it was later destroyed by Ivern the Cruel who unintentionally became the next.
Luonn Kon are giant spirit animals located in Ionia. They take the appearance of massive stone golems and are often benevolent in nature. Some of them assist local inhabitants in creating makeshift dams.
Sun apples are a common type of tree located in Ionia. Its fruit can warm a person and even tan a persons entire body.
Residing from the Nistaram forest this terrifying predator is a theropod-type creature with eight eyes on each side of its head, a large horn atop the snout, and a maw with multiple rows of pointed teeth.
Large heard of animals found in Ionia. They are described as goat-like buffalo.
River Grasses are located in central parts of Ionia. Thise red coloured grasses flow and move with the tides of magic. Landfishers, if intinued with the magic of the landscape, can cultivate and collect all the grains and fruits that grow in these areas.
Located near the coastal Azure Farms of Ionia, these specific crabs are intuned with the spiritual energies of the area. At certain times of the year, people might give offerings and gifts to the local sea spirits. If those offerings are appreciated, thousands of yellow crabs might walk onto the beaches and just wait to be captured later in the year.
The Ionian continent is a haven for beings who seek spiritual evolution and enlightenment. While populated primarily by humans, some yordles and beings of unique origin also make Ionia their home. There are many spiritual centers and schools of enlightenment in Ionia, each one working in harmony with one another to find the answers to life’s mystical questions. Why are we here? Who are we? What does life truly mean? Such pursuits leave little time for thoughts of imperialism; the Ionians are extremely peaceful by nature.
The Ionians dedicate their lives to pursuing spiritual enlightenment instead of conflict; what kind of enlightenment is up to the individual. The mystics of Ionia delve into many mysteries, pioneering the very depths of spirituality. While many of them devote themselves to the pursuit of peace and light, there are those who walk different paths. Some pursue the beauty of perpetual sorrow, some the excitement of darkness, some the vitality of the primal. Most Ionians find violence distasteful and try not to resort to using it when resolving issues. That does not mean, however, that they are helpless or unable to defend themselves.
Diplomacy is an art in Ionia, and Ionian diplomats are revered by its citizens. Ionian courts are known all across Valoran as paradigms of fairness and neutrality. Ionian adjudicators are some of the most sought-after political individuals from all the nations.
Ionia is a place visually marked by numerous gardens and temples. Nature preserves and parks fill the Ionian countryside. A serene aesthetic dominates the landscape, even at its harbor and in its industrial sectors. Buildings are constructed with the goal of preserving the environment as much as possible. All of Ionia’s structures are ornately decorated, especially the temples. Magic is used liberally in the city, though only for peaceful purposes. Several of the nations largest nexuses have been shaped into prominent temples and houses of communal contemplation.
Ionia is home to many human languages, the Zhyun dialect is the most-spoken of the Ionian lingua franca. It is unknown if the Ionian language is related to either or neither of the unrelated & obscure languages spoken by& .
- Anar - "Brother" (cf. *ɐnḗr' "man")
- Dyeda - "Daughter" (cf. *dʰugɐtḗr "suckling")
- Erzai - "Son" (cf. *wérsēn ~ * "man") sḗn
- Emai - "Mother" (cf. * am- )
- Fa*pɐtḗr "protector ~ provider") ir - "Father" (cf.
- Svasa - "Sister" (cf. *swésōr "same-blooded")
- O-fa - "Grandfather" (also to address an elderly man)
- O-ma - "Grandmother" (also to address an elderly woman)
( - based, though flawed) language:
- - Golden Excellence.
Apart from the human languages on Ionia, there is also the Vastaya language, one of whose various dialects is Baraashi, as spoken by Lhotlan's tribe-members 
(Baraashi used elements of the Finnish & Arabic languages as its basis)
- Vastaya Baraashi dialect (Lhotlan Tribe)
- Baasi - I (future tense).
- Eli, Ella - Love (masculine, feminine).
- e Example of a Vastayan conversation.
- Faash - They (present tense).
- Ighilya - Great Grandmother.
- Iminha - Little One.
- Mi - My.
- Mieli, Miella - My Love (masculine, feminine).
- e Mu'takl - A slang for "Blood traitor".
- Na - To not be.
- Om - Magic.
- e Ouulavaash - Farewell.
- Soura - To Gather.
- e Taitah be tervaash - Rest in peace/well.
- Tann - Here.
- Va'h - To be (present tense).
- Vastaya - Vastaya (the people).
- Vi - Wild.
- Vi-om - Wild-magic.
- For more details, see The Blood Moon.
She woke up screaming.
Red. Everything had been so red. And in the center of the bloodbath, the masked warriors had danced, eyes aglow with murderous intent. Good night, their eyes had whispered.
Her companions crowded around her, worried. Behind them, the fire burned low. Above them, thick clouds suffocated the sky.
“What did you see?”
She paused. Did she dare call on those apparitions? “Just.. a bad dream. It was only a dream.”
They returned to their slumber, and she sighed, still shaken. “It was only a dream,” she repeated.
A sudden wind shook the trees around the site. She shivered, closing her eyes and wishing for morning.
As the clouds parted above, red moonlight bloodied the ground.
Garden of Forgetting
Stories tell that those who stepped over the threshold of the garden began as one person and left as someone else entirely, or did not leave at all. The Gardener of this fabled place was known as Ighilya (Ionian: 'Great grandmother') also known as the Eater of Secrets, the Forgotten, or the Witch Gardener. The flowers and the fruit of this Garden have deep magical properties that can take away a person's memories or life essence.
"There was an age when darkness smothered all hope.arrived, late into that twilight hour, bearing with him the first light of dawn."
A traveler arrived on one gray morning and beheld an ancient evil buried beneath the pale queens' mortal disguises.
Revealing his own true form, the traveler shattered their porcelain shells, exposing the blackened spirits within.
The three fought a brutal battle, crashing into the violent sea and out of sight, save for the echoing flashes of the wanderer's light.
As the new day broke, the forgotten glow of dawn speared the fading clouds and the last year became the next. Though the dark still lurked beyond every doused flame, the people no longer feared the night. The traveler had brought radiant hope with the rising dawn."
A festival where painters, musicians, calligrapher and other types of artists celebrate the artistry of Ionia. One such festival was held in Jyom Pass in the Zhyun province where the infamouswas finally captured.
The Fire and Blood Moon Festivals
Ionians from every province gathered beneath the flowered branches of the Great Tree in the Serene Gardens yesterday for the nations’s annual Festival of Fire. An early summer tradition, this festival was a symbol of Ionian culture, celebrating the cleansing and rebirth of the spirit.
From the sunset till the dawn the citizens of Ionia face “The Blood Moon” to cleanse their fears and woes.
The festival starts in the morning in the Serene Gardens. During the day the citizens enjoy the local artists' performance, shop from the vendors along the garden’s edge are filled with shops.
All the visitors can write on a scroll their woes and worries and hang it on the Great tree Branches.
During the night, Ionian citizens were treated to various musical and theatrical performances pertaining to Ionian history or legend.
As the sun starts to rise the scrolls are burned with magic fire. As the magic dissipates the sun shines in the sky and the soul is purified.
- For more details, see Lunar Revel.
Closely tied with the mythological story of the Lunar Guardian, Lunar Revel is a seasonal celebration where citizens celebrate the end of the previous year and the start of the new. It has some similar traditions with the Festival of Fire and the Blood Moon which is celebrated during the summer season.
People exchange gifts and celebrate during the whole night between the start of the new year.
Fireworks are a common tradition during this festival as it symbolizes the coming dawn of the next year.
Ionia has one of the most unusual governmental structures in all of Runeterra. This is partially because of its neutral political stance, and also because people in Ionia have generally eschewed conflict in favor of their unending quest for enlightenment. The power and wisdom of those who are considered blessed or enlightened, such as, are taken into account with a great amount of respect.
The lack of military involvement has prevented Ionia from needing a single defined leader such as the other nations have. Instead, Ionia is divided into provinces which are each represented by an Elder. To determine who becomes an Elder, a competition called "The Distinction" is held every five years. This competition has several trials which test its candidates across a wide array of skills. Schools in each region send their finest adepts – men and women who have trained their bodies and minds in the path to enlightenment – to represent them in the Distinction. The prevailing Elders from each region then gather at the Convergence of Elders thrice annually or whenever any Elder calls for an emergency assembly. Duchess, resides among them. Amazingly, there has never been a recorded power struggle within this system, but this is generally thought to be due to the Trial of Humility, one of the most critical and revered tests in the Distinction.
The Ionians have created some of the most remarkable martial art forms on all of Runeterra – a manifestation for their pursuit of enlightenment.
The Art of Wuju are principles founded on obtaining absolute spiritual awareness of one's self and one's enemy. , the keeper of this ancient art, descended from one of the few tribes dedicated to the preservation of Wuju. Due to the massacre of his kin, Master Yi is now one of the last Wuju practitioners. He has pledged to keep the Wuju style alive by teaching the art form to other individuals, such as .
The Hirana Academy and Monastery is home to many monks who have delved into the deepest depths of spirituality. Their adepts are some of the most devout proponents of personal harmony within one's self. Though the monks deplore violence, they are not defenseless as they are skilled enough to turn and redirect an opponent's strikes. In an act of selflessness, the monks took in, and taught him how to harness and control his animalistic fury... most of the time.
The Kinkou exists as an ancient clan originating in the Ionian Isles dedicated to the preservation of balance. Order, chaos, light, darkness – all things must exist in perfect harmony for such is the way of the universe. The Order employs a triumvirate of shadow warriors to uphold its causes in the world. The three warriors , , and are each entrusted with one of three sacred duties: Watching the Stars, Coursing the Sun, and Pruning the Tree.
Order of Shadow
The Order of the Shadow is a new clan that has dedicated themselves to learning the forbidden art of the shadows and killing anyone who refuses to learn. Their leader,, was the first to learn the technique again after 200 years. By using the art of the shadows, they were able to bring down the ancient order of the Kinkou and have since used their lands as their own training grounds.
The Navori Brotherhood are an ultra-nationalist group established during the Invasion of Noxus. Although they aim to defend their people from foreign attackers they also aspire to control the continent under one rule, willing to kill fellow Ionians who don't align with their vision for Ionia.
The Shojin Monastery is home to peaceful monks that have long practiced the martial arts of inner healing. Through meditation, the monks are capable of rejuvenating from injuries at a heightened rate. Some of these priests can also display acts of incredible willpower, such as suffering through agonizing amounts of pain for weeks without crying out., resides within the monastery, having journeyed there years ago in hopes of obtaining atonement for past mistakes.
During Noxus' hostilities on Ionian soil, many pirates from Bilgewater sailed to the island nation. For years they ruthlessly pillaged the settlements along the island's coastlines and fought naval battles with Ionian vessels when engaged. Even after the war, many Ionians still feel deep enmity towards Bilgewater due to their denizens' actions.
While Demacia campaigned against Noxus's imperial ambitions, Demacia was unable to prevent the disasters that were inflicted on Ionia. It is unclear if Ionians feel animosity towards the Demacians that showed incapability.
Not much is known about the current relations between the two nations. However, the first ever interaction between the two cultures ended up with the destruction of the God-Willow by a stranded band of Freljordian warriors.
After the defeat of Noxus and the return of annexed lands, it is unclear of the present political conditions. It is well-known however, that many Ionians have a vendetta against Noxus.
- The name Ionia comes from the
Ἰωνία, after the tribal name Ἰά(ϝ)ωνες, with unclear etymology, possibly from:
- noun *wiH-s "force", whence Greek (ϝ)ī́s (w)is;
-  verb *h₁eysh₂- "to push, to strengthen", whence ῑ̓ός īós "arrow".
- The real-life namesake is
, located in , which was once part of Ancient Greece, now modern day .
- There are also the located at the western part of modern-day .
- Ionian names are usually derived from 
, e.g. , , , etc. with some influences
- Exceptions exist, however: e.g. from ; from ; from .
- Ionia's crest resembles Mantle of Decorum.
- Ionians practiced . : the deceased's corpses are left to the elements and scavengers, then collected and cleaned by
- Ionia has over 200 species of talking dragons.
- Ionian prisons are know to be humane.
- Despite Ionia generally having low-tech weapons, their high-tech is generally housed in the Kashuri armouries and used by people who have authorization by the state. Such as .
- Ionian colours are White, Teal and Honeysuckle.
- Ionian architecture is known for its harmonious fluidity with nature.
- The 
, , , , , , and are Ionian artifacts.
- The three blades of represent the Land, Name, and Nation of Ionia.
- Ionia Universe Page
- Eduard Santangelo's Vastaya Field Journal
- Confession of a Broken Blade
- Kinkou Order
- Shadow Order
- Lunar Revel
- PROJECT Initiative
- The Blood Moon
- ↑ Confessions of a Broken Blade Act 1
- ↑ Confessions of a Broken Blade Act 2
- ↑ Confessions of a Broken Blade Act 3
- ↑ Vastaya Field Journal
- ↑ http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~rnoyer/courses/51/PIEKinship.pdf
- ↑ Vastayan Baraashi dialect
- ↑ Beekes, R.S.P. Etymological Dictionary of Greek, p. 594-595, 609
- ↑ https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Jhin_Namestorm_exvj79ng3h59rqlp70n8.pdf
- ↑ http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Broken_Blade#II
- ↑ Irelia on talking dragons
- ↑ Jhin Q&A 1
- ↑ Jhin Q&A 2
- ↑ New item icons