- Playing As
- Try waiting until the other team is distracted with fighting your team, and use to teleport into the fray and unleash a devastating .
- Using on an allied Champion or minion can be a great escape tactic.
- Playing Against
- Katarina's abilities deal magic damage, so even if she's building Attack Damage items, get magic resistance to counter her.
- Try to save a disable for when Katarina uses her .
- Ability Usage
- only refreshes your abilities, when you damaged the target within 3 seconds before their death. You can extend/refresh this time window by using a damage-over-time, like .
- While laning, try to poke the enemy by landing through bouncing from minions, instead of targeting them directly. This way you can poke your enemy from a bigger and safer range.
- will reveal units for a short period after landing the ability.
can also be cast on any interactable unit, like !
- can be cast on jungle plants. Katarina will autoattack it after teleporting. Use it on a Blast Cone to escape over a wall, but be careful - issuing commands right after teleporting will cancel the basic attack, potentially ruining an escape.
- will become castable when you are in range of an enemy, even in bushes. This way, you can also damage invisible champions. Keep that in mind!
- Katarina's daggers are the key to her damage output. Picking them up allows her to both deal lots of extra damage and stay mobile.
is exactly what it sounds like. While it seems plain, the ability is useful for...
- Escaping. The movement speed bonus allows you to outrace most other champions, or juke them using the dagger.
- Harassing. Using , then on a dagger, then immediately using on the Preparation dagger allows for easy harass.
- Turning. Your enemies may expect you to use 's movement speed to escape, but if allies are coming in or cooldowns coming up, you can quickly back to the dagger and finish them off with .
- Bursting. Casting right before casting will add an extra burst of damage once the dagger lands, and does not interrupt .
- is a devastating ability, but easily interrupted. If Katarina is held down for even a second, she is liable to die. Gauge your ability to reset your abilities and get kills against your enemies' health and crowd control before entering the fight.
- Rune Usage
- can be triggered by landing , , and the dagger spin.
- can give you a decent heal, that can either help you to escape and survive a fight or keep fighting to get the reset.
- Due to being able to kill multiple enemies with your ability resets, and are very effective on her.
- Item Usage
- is Katarina's only source of damage that does not scale off of her attack damage. As a cooldown-based champion with good scalings for both AP and AD, is an excellent item that will give you much-needed sustain.
- Katarina is generally built as a mage with high AP, and is extremely bursty, with massive damage and snowball potential. Items like and will do for damage, while often she will need an item like for defense.
- are generally the best boots for Katarina, as she deals all magic damage. If you are behind, are cheaper and offer cooldown reduction for both regular and summoner spells, allowing you to output more damage when you can't get kills reliably for resets.
- is a decent all-around item for Katarina. The slow can be applied to multiple enemies with daggers and , and makes it much more difficult to escape her. The health is a welcome addition to her squishiness as well.
- Due to your weak early game sustain, you will be using lots of . So investing into a can save you some gold!
- If is not used on a dagger, punish Katarina while it's on cooldown. Beware of her picking up daggers after using though, as it still reduces the cooldown.