Make sure to stock up on some Poro-snax as we vote, discuss and recap all the things that happened this year in League.
|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Leona is primarily played as a support and her strength as a champion comes from her incredible amount of hard CC from Shield of Daybreak, Zenith Blade, and Solar Flare, the team damage potential from Sunlight, and her natural durability from her stats and Eclipse.
- Maximize Sunlight's potential by timing your skills in a way that gives your allies an opportunity to consume each mark.
- Shield of Daybreak can be used to help Leona destroy towers or get last-hits as it resets her attack timer and deals bonus damage, even to structures.
- With high natural CC, Leona can set up kills for her jungler even if they lack it themselves, such as Shyvana.
- Zenith Blade can be relatively easy to land during the early laning phase when ADCs do not have very much attack speed and thus have a long enough attack animation to close in on them.
- If Leona is hit by a knock-back while Zenith Blade is in flight, she will be knocked back, but then immediately blink to the last enemy hit by the skill even though she has been knocked farther away.
- Against champions with knockbacks or blinks, it is generally better to save Zenith Blade until after they expend their distance-creating ability whenever possible.
- A standard combo would be to activate Eclipse at a distance and then use Zenith Blade to dash to an enemy champion, activating Shield of Daybreak in mid-flight.
- Leona lanes well with aggressive teammates with powerful early-game harassment skills such as Graves, Tristana and Varus, however many ADCs can easily take advantage of her kit.
- When unable to directly communicate with a lane-mate, activating Eclipse can be a good signal to them that you are about to initiate your combo.
- Likewise, it can also tell your enemies that you're about to engage on them. Be quick or hide in the brush to prevent the enemy from disengaging.
- Solar Flare can be used to steal Dragon or Baron Nashor from significant range. However, its small delay and low damage requires good timing.
- Place Solar Flare where it will hit as many enemies as possible, not only for the stun and 80% slow, but also to maximize Sunlight's bonus damage.
- The cooldown on the ability is fairly low, so don't be afraid to use it to set up kills or to save teammates.
- It is a good idea to prioritize skill points into Eclipse. It deals the most damage of any of your skills, and has the most significant bonuses upon level-up.
- It is important to get a point in Shield of Daybreak early to complete Leona's combo, but extra points in the ability aren't particularly noticeable.
- Maxing Zenith Blade after Eclipse is the best way to help Leona overcome her lackluster wave clear, enabling her to kill minion waves with one combo by level 9 .
- Eclipse does not need to be taken until level 3 as a Zenith Blade and Shield of Daybreak combo will allow you to exchange harass damage against enemy lanes.
- Zenith Blade can be used even against enemies you cannot see, making it good for chasing enemies who become invisible or flee into brush or over walls.
- Spell shields, such as that from , will prevent her abilities from applying Sunlight, but they will not stop Zenith Blade from pulling Leona to her target or prevent Eclipse's defense bonus.
- Aim Zenith Blade so that the desired target is the last enemy hit by the skill.
- Zenith Blade and Eclipse can be used to mark minions with Sunlight to make it easier for your lane partner to last-hit large waves, especially if they have AoE skills.
- Beware when casting Zenith Blade near enemy towers; you can be pulled under it and take aggro.
- On a similar note, Zenith Blade can potentially put you in a bad position and out of range of your teammates.
- Zenith Blade's projectile does have a travel time, so it is generally unwise to use the spell at the tip of its range since the enemy champion has time to dodge.
- When laning, control the brush whenever possible as her ability to set up kills gives her excellent zoning.
- Using Flash while Zenith Blade is winding up can result in the range of the ability being extended and harder for the enemy to dodge.
- If Leona's lane partner is fed enough, and/or they are able to handle a 1 vs 2 lane, she can begin roaming as soon as she purchases movement speed and a gold generating item.
- Leona's abilities have a decent amount of base damage, especially Eclipse. Use this to your advantage to kill fragile characters who underestimate your burst damage.
- Leona has the ability to clear enemy wards just after their placement. Deal a basic attack, activate Shield of Daybreak for another, and immediately attack again to kill it.
Leona can be built in multiple ways with the most favorable being a supportive tank. Less common builds include more offense, while utilizing her natural crowd control and tankiness.
- With defensive items, Leona can be very hard to kill. Armor, magic resist, and health help her to make a very strong front line. Leona can not only provide initiation, but can also lock down targets with her numerous stuns and immobilizes in the middle of the fight.
- Since Eclipse provides Leona a high amount of armor and magic resist, she will generally gain more of a survivability boost from building health as opposed to more armor or magic resist, although the bonus does scale with extra defense.
- The or are great starting choices for Leona depending on how you want to play her.
- will allow her to help sustain herself and her partner during the laning phase and builds into , which can provide a decent shield and possible nuke depending on who you use the active on.
- On the other hand, active will allow her to engage easier and quicker with her team. The choice can be made based on team composition and the needs of the team.
- The more team related items that Leona favors include , , and , granting herself a good handful of stats and team beneficial actives.
- If you have , try to use its active ability while Eclipse is up as the active increases in duration the higher your armor and magic resist. At max rank, Eclipse by itself without any extra defense items, provides enough to increase the active's duration by 1.3 seconds.
- , while somewhat expensive and uncommon, will allow you to keep targets locked down for much longer due to the slowing field in addition to providing good defensive stats. Though you won't be able to take advantage of the proc as frequently as other champions, the utility it provides may be just enough.
Attack Damage Bruiser
- Leona has very high base defense and utility. Using the right build and combination of items, she can dive into the enemy backline and be a major threat to their damage dealers. While being played as a solo laner or jungler, she can use this build to accomplish this. The best choices for this role contain a mix of damage, cooldown reduction and some defenses.
- Without a lane partner, Shield of Daybreak becomes Leona's primary ability, as it grants an attack reset, extra damage and a stun.
- Shield of Daybreak works well with combo related items. , and giving Leona some extra burst. In lane, this can lead to very strong trades - Zenith Blade allows you to close the gap, using an auto attack for the extra damage, and Shield of Daybreak resetting your attack timer for another strike.
- Be aware that Shield of Daybreak has a high base cooldown. Knowing how to pace your abilities is necessary to maximize procs.
- With excellent CC and tankiness, and with all of her abilities scaling AP, Leona has good capabilities of being a bursty AP offtank. Between building the right defenses and AP items, she can easily handle a squishy lane-combatant, as well as pick off squishy AD carrys in teamfights whilst supported by her team.
- In order to bring out the true magic-damage-dealing potential of Leona, it is necessary to implicate high amounts of magic penetration, because her abilities do not have extraordinarily high AP ratios. It is also important to use a decent amount of Armor and Magic Resistance, so that her Eclipse can keep her alive while it ticks down to its explosion, and to have a decent amount of health to protect her vast amount of resistances and damage-dealing potential. Lastly, it's important to increase her burst capabilities. This being said, core items on Leona are considered to be , , and .
- If you are facing a team that is all or mostly AD, you should substitute with .
- Offensive choices that stem from Leona's core items include or and . is an excellent and generally a primary choice if you are facing a typical APC laner such as Katarina or Ziggs.
- is best bought mid to late-game because it offers no boost to magic penetration, and the burn passive is more effective during team fights when Leona's AoEs can connect with enemies that are further impaired by your team's CC.
- is a possible trade-off for or that early if the enemy team is stacking Magic Resistance. Generally, if the enemy team is stacking defenses, you're doing pretty well, lessening the need for your own defenses.
- Defensive choices for Leona include and . synergizes a bonus duration slow with her Eclipse, and is a good substitute for if more defenses are needed. 's spell shield is excellent at keeping Leona alive.
- is a great mid-to-late game boost to Leona's offensive kit, but should not be bought before magic penetration and .
- While using mage masteries, an easy combo to get Spell Weaving to level 3 is to Zenith Blade, activate Eclipse in the middle of or immediately after the flight of Zenith Blade, finish the Zenith Blade animation into an auto-attack, cast Shield of Daybreak, and then hit with a third auto before Eclipse explodes.
- Because the most useful items on Leona do not have any cooldown reduction, it is best to implicate runes - particularly Glyphs and Quintessences - that have scaling cooldown reduction.
- In lane, Leona will attempt a combo of Eclipse immediately followed by Zenith Blade to jump to you and Shield of Daybreak to stun and ensure Eclipse's damage.
- This combo is especially dangerous from the brush - keep track of her.
- Zenith Blade has a small width and slightly short range - staying back or side stepping can help you dodge it.
- If Leona uses Zenith Blade to farm minions, it can sometimes be advantageous to make it hit you and force her into a bad position.
- Stay mobile in order to make it harder for her to effectively initiate with Solar Flare and her combo.
- Spread out to minimize how many people will be hit by the stun from Solar Flare, and possibly the entire ability.
- Catch Leona alone whenever possible, as she cannot make use of Sunlight without a teammate.
- Any damage from her lane partner will proc Sunlight, notably damage-over-time, greatly increasing damage taken. Try to force her to use most of her skills before her teammate can activate the marks.
- Leona is hard to finish off in combat due to the bonus defensive stats from Eclipse. Only commit to killing her if you are sure of victory.
- Leona's largest source of personal damage comes from Eclipse, which also provides her the most defense. Try to keep your distance from her when you see her activate it.
- It is difficult to disengage from Leona, but if you can dodge another Zenith Blade, which has a small hit area and a notable casting time, you can cripple her ability to chase. Coupled with her low base movement speed, it is possible to escape from her by simply running in a straight line away from her.
- When laning, Leona is most effective when she can surprise her foes from the brush; warding your lane's brush can be a very effective way to diminish her zoning ability.
- Be careful about using knockback abilities such as Condemn or Buster Shot on Leona when she uses Zenith Blade. If you fire before Leona starts her dash, she will be able to dash to the last enemy champion hit regardless. Instead, try to time the shot to hit just as she starts to dash, which will break her dash and knock her back, effectively canceling her gap closer.
- Remember that Zenith Blade places Leona behind her target with respect to her point of view on using Zenith Blade. This can be exploited by knockback abilities to either throw her into one of your turrets, into your team, or to Condemn her into a wall with proper positioning.