Life steal (LS) is a stat that restores health to the attacker on all basic attacks, including effects or abilities that modify the basic attack (such as or Spellblade). The percentage value is the amount of HP restored from the attack after modifiers and mitigation (i.e. it is calculated from the effective damage done by the basic attack).
On-hit effects do not apply life steal in addition to the basic attack. However, abilities such as and that apply on-hit effects also apply life steal (these effects are treated as basic attacks and abilities at the same time).
Life steal is calculated from the actual damage done to an enemy, after armor and all other forms of damage reduction.
All champions have 0% base life steal. It can be increased with items, runes, and by some champion abilities.
The phrase "life steal" for the effect is not accurate, because no (additional) HP is "stolen"; rather, the effective damage that was already dealt (with or without life steal) becomes a source of healing to the attacker. In other words, life steal does not change or increase damage, but it does add a healing effect.
Increasing life steal
|950||10 %||Howling Abyss|
- below 40% health) (while
Increasing attack drain
- Life steal stacks additively, and has no cap.
- passive is a unique multiplicative increase, so if you had 10% life steal before, you will now have 13%, and not 40% life steal (10% × 1.3 = 13% life steal).
- Life steal will not heal from damage done to towers and inhibitors.
- Life steal will heal from all damage done to minions, monsters, pets and champions.
- Abilities that apply on-hit effects such as and will work with life steal.
- Life steal does not work for abilities that don't apply on-hit effects, nor with item actives like with .
- Heal Power. bonus damage healing is considered a drain effect, so even though you would take life steal to increase its healing, it will be affected by
- Life steal does not work with True damage, for example .
- Healing reduction effects like and reduce the health restored by life steal.
- See Healing reduction for more information.
Last updated: November 21, 2017 - V7.23
- The maximum achievable life steal by a playable champion is 281.71% on . Take notice this is not the stat shown in game. It's just the % amount of healing you get from basic attacks.
- A combination of two of any of the following items:
- Life Steal Multiplier:
- Relevant mathematics:
- Items = + + + = 74%
- Runes = = 8%
- Buffs = + = 115%
- Heal Multiplier =
× = 1.43
- life steal = ( + + ) × 1.43 = 281.71% life steal