Life steal is an offensive stat that restores health to the wielder for a percentage of all on-hit physical damage they deal. Basic attacks, abilities that apply on-hit effects, and abilities that modify basic attacks all benefit from lifesteal.
Life steal is calculated from the actual damage done to an enemy, after armor and all other forms of damage reduction. All champions have 0% base life steal. It can be increased with items, runes, masteries, and some champion abilities.
Increasing life steal
| This article is outdated. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information.
- +10% life steal, +15 attack damage. 900 . :
- +10% life steal, +25 attack damage. Unique Active: Deals 100 magic damage and slows the target champion's movement speed by 25% for 2 second (90 second cooldown) (550 range). 1650 . :
- +10% life steal, +25 attack damage, +40% attack speed. Unique Passive: Basic attacks deal 6% of the target's current health as physical damage (60 max vs. minions). Unique Active: Deals 10% of target champion's maximum health (min. 100) as physical damage, heals for the same amount and steals 25% of the target's movement speed for 3 seconds (90 second cooldown) (550 range). 3400 . :
- +12% life steal, +75 attack damage, +100% base health regeneration. Passive: Life steal applies to damage dealt by this item. Unique Passive – Cleave: Basic attacks deal 20% to 60% of your attack damage to units around your target – (20% AD near the edge). Unique Active – Crescent: Deals 60% to 100% of your attack damage to units around you – (60% AD near the edge) (10 second cooldown). 3600 . :
- Unique Passive: Increases effectiveness of all sources of healing including self-healing, health regen, life steal and spell vamp by 20%. +400 health, +60 magic resistance, +150% base health regeneration, +10% cooldown reduction. 2700 . :
- +3% life steal, +80 health, +8 attack damage. 450 . :
- +10% life steal, +45 attack damage. Unique Passive: Basic attacks grant +6 attack damage and +1% life steal for 8 seconds on hit (stacks up to 5 times). 2275 . :
- Unique Passive: +20% life steal, +75 attack damage. Unique Passive: Your basic attacks can now overheal you. Excess life is stored as a shield that can block 50-350 damage, based on champion level. This shield decays slowly if you haven't dealt or taken damage in the last 25 seconds. 3700 . :
Note: Only the life steal buff effect of these abilities is shown here, to read more information on each of these abilities, follow the link on each of them.
- Lee Sin's Iron Will grants 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 / 25% life steal for 5 seconds.
- Nasus's Soul Eater permanently grants him % life steal.
- Olaf's Vicious Strikes gives him 9 / 12 / 15 / 18 / 21% life steal for 6 seconds.
- Warwick's Infinite Duress grants him 30% life steal for the duration of the ability.
- Udyr's Turtle Stance grants him 10 / 12 / 14 / 16 / 18% life steal while he is in this stance.
- Vampirism grants 1 / 2 / 3% life steal.
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
|Quintessence||0.84 %||1.17 %||1.5 %|
- Life steal stacks additively, and has no cap.
passive is a unique multiplicative increase, so if you have 10% life steal before, you will now have 12%, and not 30% life steal.
- 10% × 1.2 = 12% life steal
- Life steal will not heal from damage done to towers and inhibitors.
- Life steal will heal from all damage done to minions, monsters, pets and champions.
- Abilities that apply on-hit effects such as Mystic Shot and Parrrley will work with life steal.
- Life steal does not work for abilities that don't apply on-hit effects, nor with item actives like with .
- Healing reduction effects like Ignite and Varus's Hail of Arrows reduce the health restored by life steal.
- See Healing reduction for more information.
[Last updated 13/8/2015 on patch 5.15]
- The maximum achievable life steal by a playable champion is 231.66% on Sion thanks to his passive, Glory in Death. To reach this amount, he must:
- Be on Summoner's Rift or Butcher's Bridge (for the availability of ).
- Have maximum ranks in the Vampirism and Second Wind masteries.
- Have three Greater Quintessences of Life Steal.
- Have one , four , and a .
- Be at less than 25% health while being under the effects of Sion's Glory in Death to benefit from Second Wind.
- This combination will result in Sion having 231.66% life steal.
- Relevant mathematics:
On Twisted Treeline and Crystal Scar, the replacement of with results in a lower maximum of 225.06%, which requires Sion to have attacked at least 5 times with no more than 8 seconds separating each attack, resulting in a base damage of 503 and healing of 1132.0518.