Magic resistance (or MR) is a stat that all units have, including minions, monsters, and buildings. Increasing magic resistance reduces the magic damage the unit takes. Each champion begins with some magic resistance which may increase with level. You can gain additional magic resistance from abilities, items, masteries, and runes. Magic resistance stacks additively.
All champions begin with 30 base magic resistance. Currently no ranged champion gains magic resistance per level, but all melee champions do, excluding Galio, Gragas, Maokai, Poppy, Shen and Singed. Elise, Jayce, Kayle and Nidalee don't gain any either since they have a ranged form.
The maximum magic resistance possible without items, runes, masteries, or ally buffs is 52.5, being reached by any champion that gains it per level.
Damage reduction Edit
Magic Resistance reduces the damage of incoming magical attacks by a percentage. This percentage is determined by the formula: Damage Reduction = Total Magic Resistance / (100 + Total Magic Resistance). For example, a champion with 150 points of magic resistance would receive 60% reduced damage from magical attacks. Incoming magic damage is multiplied by a factor based on the unit's magic resistance(same with armor):
- Damage multiplier = 100 / (100 + MR) if MR ≥ 0
- Damage multiplier = 2 − 100 / (100 − MR) if MR ≤ 0
- 25 magic resistance → ×0.8 incoming magic damage (20% reduction).
- 100 magic resistance → ×0.5 incoming magic damage (50% reduction).
- −25 magic resistance → ×1.2 incoming magic damage (20% increase).
Stacking magic resistance Edit
Every point of magic resistance requires a unit to take 1% more of its maximum health in magic damage to be killed. This is called "effective health."
- Example: A unit with 60 magic resistance has 160% of its maximum health in its effective health, so if the unit has 1000 maximum health, it will take 1600 magic damage to kill it.
What this means: by definition, magic resistance does not have diminishing returns, because each point increases the unit's effective health against magic damage by 1% of its current actual health value whether the unit has 10 magic resistance or 1000 magic resistance.
For a more detailed explanation, see this video.
- Unlike health, increasing magic resistance makes healings and shields more effective because it requires more effort from your enemies to remove the bonus health granted. This is call indirect scaling.
Magic Resistance as Scaling Edit
These use the champion's magic resistance to increase the magnitude of the ability. It could involve total or bonus magic resistance. By building magic resistance items, you can receive more benefit and power from these abilities.
- Garen's Courage grants bonus magic resistance to himself equal to 20% of his bonus magic resistance.
- Galio's Runic Skin grants him bonus ability power equal to 50% of his total magic resistance.
- Trundle's Subjugate takes 40% of the target's magic resistance and gains an equal amount of magic resistance. Over 4 seconds, the bonus magic resistance is doubled. The magic resistance bonus/reduction lasts for another 4 seconds after the drain completes.
- active increases its slow duration by a base amount plus 0.5% of the wearer's total magic resistance.
Ways to increase magic resistance Edit
- : +45 magic resistance, +70 ability power. Unique Aura: Reduces the magic resistance of nearby enemies by 20. 2560 gold.
- : +20 magic resist. Unique Aura - Legion: Nearby allies gain 10 armor, 15 magic resist and 10 health regen per 5 seconds. Nearby minions gain an additional 50% armor, magic resist and health regen. +250 health, +20 armor. 2150 gold.
- : +40 magic resistance, +60 ability power, +15 mana regeneration, +20% cooldown reduction. Unique Passive: Restores 12% of maximum mana on kill or assist. Unique Passive - Mana Font: Increases your mana regen by 1% per 1% mana you're missing. 2600 gold.
- : +45 magic resistance, +400 health, +300 mana. Unique Passive: Gain a spell shield that blocks the next incoming enemy ability. This shield refreshes if you haven't taken damage from champions in 25 seconds. 2520 gold.
- : +25 magic resistance, +7 mana regeneration. Unique Passive: Increases your mana regeneration by 1% per 1% mana you're missing. 880 gold.
- : +30 magic resistance, +50 armor. Unique Passive: Revives your champion upon death, restoring 30% health and mana. This effect can only occur once every 5 minutes. 2600 gold.
- : +25 magic resistance, +25 attack damage. Unique Passive - Lifeline: If you would take magic damage which would leave you at less than 30% health, you first gain a shield that absorbs 250 magic damage for 5 seconds. 60 second cooldown. 1350 gold.
- : +36 magic resistance, +55 attack damage. Unique Passive: +1 Attack Damage for every 2.5% health missing. Unique Passive - Lifeline: If you would take magic damage which would leave you at less than 30% health, you first gain a shield that absorbs 400 magic damage for 5 seconds. 60 second cooldown. 3200 gold.
- : +45 magic resistance, +60 attack damage. Unique Active - Quicksilver: Removes all debuffs from your champion. If your champion is Melee, this item grants 50% bonus Movement Speed for 1 second. 90 second cooldown. 3700 gold
- : +25 magic resistance. Unique Passive - Enhanced Movement: +45 movement speed. Unique Passive - Tenacity: The duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds and immobilizes are reduced by 35%. 1200 gold.
- : +40 magic resistance, +7 health regeneration, +18 mana regeneration. Unique passive - Mana Font: Increases your mana regeneration by 1% per each percentage of mana you are missing, Unique Active: Removes all stuns, roots, taunts, fears, silences and slows on an ally champion and heals for 150 + 10% of the target's maximum health. (180 second cooldown) 2200 gold.
- : +40 magic resistance. 720 gold.
- : +20 magic resistance. 400 gold.
- : +50 magic resistance, +350 health, +350 mana. Unique Passive: Reduces and stores 10% of magic damage dealt to your champion. Unique Active: Deals 200 + (Stored magic damage)[Max: 400] to nearby enemy units. 90 second cooldown. 2520 gold.
- : +45 magic resistance. Unique Active: Removes all debuffs from your champion. 90 second cooldown. 1550 gold.
- : +30 magic resistance. Unique Aura - Legion: Nearby allies gain 10 armor, 25 magic resist and 10 health regen per 5 seconds. Nearby minions gain an additional 50% armor, magic resist and health regen. +300 health, +20 armor. 2950 gold
- : +50 magic resistance, +200 health, +20% cooldown reduction. Unique Passive: Increases healing and regeneration on yourself by 20%. 2200 gold.
- : +40 magic resistance, +40 ability power, +6% movement speed. Unique Active - Hunt: Summons up to 2 invulnerable ghosts for 6 seconds to seek the two nearest enemy champions. If they touch an enemy champion, they slow his Movement Speed by 40% and reveal him for 2.5 seconds. 120 second cooldown. 1900 gold
- : +25 magic resistance. Unique Passive: Your basic attacks increase your magic resistance by 5 for 5 seconds. Stacks up to 4 times. +40% attack speed. Unique Passive: Your basic attacks deal 42 bonus magic damage. 2200 gold.
Champion abilities Edit
- Akali's Twilight Shroud lays down a cover of smoke for 8 seconds where she gains 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 magic resistance while inside.
- Annie's Molten Shield increases her magic resistance by 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 for 5 seconds.
- Galio's Bulwark increases an allied champion's magic resistance by 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90 for 4 seconds.
- Garen's Courage increases his magic resistance by 20% of bonus magic resistance.
- Graves's True Grit increases his magic resistance by / / every second he remains in combat. This bonus stacks up to 10 times. Graves is considered in combat if he has dealt or received damage in the last 3 seconds.
- Jax's Grandmaster's Might increases his magic resistance by 25 / 35 / 45 (+20% AP) for 8 seconds.
- Kennen's Lightning Rush increases his magic resistance by 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 for 4 seconds.
- Jayce's Transform: Mercury Hammer increases his magic resistance by 5 / 15 / 25 / 35.
- Leona's Eclipse increases her magic resistance by 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 for 3 seconds. The duration of the buff is doubled if any enemies are damaged by the ability.
- Master Yi's Meditate increases his magic resistance by 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 / 300 for up to 5 seconds.
- Mordekaiser's Creeping Death increases an allied unit's magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 for 6 seconds.
- Olaf's Ragnarok increases his magic resistance by 30 / 45 / 60 for 6 seconds.
- Orianna's Command: Protect increases an allied champion's magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 as long as the ball is attached to it.
- Rammus's Defensive Ball Curl increases his magic resistance by 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 for 6 seconds.
- Rengar's Battle Roar Rengar lets out a battle roar, damaging enemies increases his magic resist by 15 / 22 / 29 / 36 / 43 for 3 seconds.
- Shyvana's Dragon's Descent passively increases her magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20. This bonus is doubled while she is in dragon form.
- Singed's Insanity Potion increases his magic resistance by 35 / 50 / 65 for 25 seconds.
- Sona's Aria of Perseverance:
- Aura: increases nearby allied champions' magic resistance by 3 / 6 / 9 / 12 / 15 while active and persists for two seconds after deactivation.
- Activation: increases hers and one nearby allied champion's magic resistance by an extra 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20 for 3 seconds.
- Soraka's Consecration increases nearby allied champions' magic resistance by 16.
- Trundle's Subjugate immediately steals 20% of the target's magic resistance, and a further 20% over 4 seconds. These magic resistance bonuses lasts for another 4 seconds after the drain completes.
- Urgot's Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser increases his magic resistance by 60 / 90 / 120 for 5 seconds.
- Wukong's Stone Skin grants him / / magic resistance for each nearby enemy champion.
- Xin Zhao's Crescent Sweep increases his magic resistance by 15 / 20 / 25 for each enemy champion hit for 8 seconds.
- Defender increases your champion's magic resist by 1 for each nearby enemy champion.
- Resistance increases your champion's magic resist by 2 / 3.5 / 5.
- Legendary Armor increases bonus magic resist by 2 / 3.5 / 5%.
- Disconnecting gives +1000 magic resistance.
Ways to reduce magic resistance Edit
See magic penetration. Note that magic penetration and magic resistance reduction are different.
List of champions' magic resistance Edit
- If a summoner leaves the game, their champion gains 1000 armor and magic resistance. This may be to prevent champions like Karthus or Draven from gaining free kills.
- A level 18 Master Yi with 1 , 5 , 3 points in Resistance, 3 points in Legendary Armor, Creeping Death, Bulwark, Aria of Perseverance, Command: Protect, an allied aura, a full page of Scaling Magic Resist runes, and Meditate active will give a total of approximately 1004 magic resist. Switching Mordekaiser for Trundle and having an enemy Trundle with the same setup use Subjugate on Master Yi and the allied Trundle use Subjugate on the enemy Trundle, will yield a total of approximately 1297 magic resist. This is the highest possible amount of magic resistance, which is 92.8% reduction.