|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Due to Malphite's Granite Shield, Ground Slam and Unstoppable Force, he is extremely well-suited to a tanking and initiating role.
- Seismic Shard is a strong ability with several utilities:
- It can be used for harassment and poking in lane, with some mana regen.
- In a teamfight, Seismic Shard helps Malphite stick to the enemy's carries.
- When escaping or chasing, Seismic Shard will simultaneously slow enemy champions while hasting yourself.
- Seismic Shard can also be used on minions to gain the speed bonus to catch up to someone out of range.
- Using Brutal Strikes will cause Ground Slam to deal more damage due to the increased armor.
- Malphite's standard combo is first activating Brutal Strikes, slowing an enemy with Seismic Shard, charging in with Unstoppable Force, then ending with Ground Slam. With a high amount of armor, this combo can shut down multiple enemies at once, especially if they're melee-DPS.
- Malphite excels at being an anti-carry, designed to stop carries in their tracks with his Ground Slam and then destroy them with his high damage output.
- Malphite can make a strong counter to certain solo top champions, such as Tryndamere, Irelia, or Jax that have few ranged options and need to auto-attack to secure lane control. Use Seismic Shard to harass and Ground Slam to interfere with last hits, giving you free reign to farm yourself.
- If your enemy is on low health and they are behind a wall, Unstoppable Force can go through walls and you can pick up a kill easily.
- Malphite's Unstoppable Force combined with other champions' abilities like Curse of the Sad Mummy, Glacial Prison, and Crescendo can incapacitate most or all of the enemy team members for several seconds.
- Jungling works especially well on Malphite as his Ground Slam can negate most of the Ancient Golem's damage at level one along with Granite Shield, meaning that Malphite can kill the Ancient Golem on an offensive or defensive combination of starting items and potions. After acquiring Seismic Shard and the buff from the Lizard Elder, Malphite can gank lanes to moderate effect, but can do so to the greatest effect against weak, autoattack-dependent AD champions like Ashe or top lane Sion.
- It is difficult to build items that give Malphite all or even most of what he needs. Health, armor and magic resistance, attack damage, ability power, and cooldown reduction are hard to fit into six items, five items if you include boots. Items that provide any combination of these stats are useful and should be prioritized.
- It should be noted, however, that his passive, Granite Shield, scales with maximum health, so planning on building a health item first, even if you are unsure what your endgame build will be, is a wise choice. This will also grant you some early game tankiness and survivability to help you through laning phase.
- Malphite is typically built for a tank role but can be built with ability power, trading off late game utility for damage.
- is a possible build option, boosting his magic resistance and lowering the enemies'. Since most of Malphite's abilities deal magical damage this item can increase his damage output significantly.
- is a good but highly situational item on Malphite, as it increases armor for Ground Slam and AP for Unstoppable Force and Seismic Shard. The active effect also allows Granite Shield (as well as all of his other abilities) more time to reactivate.
- is a strong choice if it is your goal to assassinate single high priority targets. The active can be used during Unstoppable Force to massively increase the burst damage of Malphite's combo.
- Consider purchasing a or to support the effect of his Ground Slam.
- also grants mana and cooldown reduction, which are both very desirable stats on Malphite.
- Malphite profits highly from buying armor, so purchasing items with that stat is very efficient.
- Although Malphite specializes in tanking physical damage due to his heavy focus on armor and reducing attack speed, be sure to get at least a moderate amount of magic resistance with items like or when facing multiple AP opponents. Your armor will have very little effect against casters like Ryze or Annie.
- Look to buy items with mixed stats to maximize efficiency: , and all combine health and a powerful passive with a resistance.
- is a useful item for the laning phase, allowing Malphite to poke enemies with his Seismic Shard and take lane control despite the high mana costs. The magic resist component can be useful against certain matchups such as Dr. Mundo or Orianna.
- can later be upgraded to , which gives Malphite valuable ability power and cooldown reduction.
- Malphite usually doesn't have the damage to sustain himself in a fight with spell vamp or life steal. Building can give him valuable health regeneration.
- Note that the health regeneration is pathetically small during the actual teamfight. It will get you at most +120 health for a fifteen second teamfight. Health Regeneration is much better during the laning phase, and drops off significantly in usefulness during teamfight situations.
- Malphite can build a little attack damage with the splash damage passive and attack damage steroid active from Brutal Strikes.
- Buying cooldown reduction is a priority for Malphite as the cooldowns on his abilities persist longer than his abilities' effects.
- Starting items , x5 OR , x5
- Skill Progression: Ground Slam -- Brutal Strikes -- Ground Slam -- Seismic Shard-- Seismic Shard-- Unstoppable Force
- Jungle Route: Blue (smite), Wolves, Red (smite), Wraiths, Wight, Recall, Wolves, Wraiths, Golems.
- Try to destroy Malphite's Granite Shield before using your nukes to ensure you deal your full damage.
- Don't even try to go against Malphite as a melee autoattacker because that is exactly what he excels against with his Brutal Strikes armor and attack damage steroid and Ground Slam attack speed reduction. These alone make him heavily favored in a trade, not to mention his Granite Shield.
- Malphite's strengths come from building a lot armor, due to his Ground Slam scaling off his armor, and his kit in general being very effective against AD champions. Due to this, picking AP champions will negate his strengths by forcing him to build magic resistance and making Malphite weaker overall.
- Note whether or not Malphite is spamming his abilities (especially Seismic Shard) as he isn't exactly the most mana efficient champion around.
- Malphite has no natural sustain. By picking a champion with sustain, you can generally counter Malphite, as you will outlast him. If Malphite decides to harass or trade damage with you, and you heal all the damage back, that means he is only wasting mana (remember that Malphite is very mana hungry).
- When chasing or being chased, it may be a good idea to hold on to any movement speed increasing buffs you may have until after he has used Seismic Shard, as increasing your speed will also increase the amount of movement speed he steals and essentially nullify your boost.
- Wait until the effect of his Brutal Strikes wears off before continuing to attack Malphite as it gives him armor.
- If you are using a champion whose primary damage source is from auto-attacks, try to stay out of range of Ground Slam, as this will reduce your damage significantly.
- Malphite will usually build armor to make the effect of his Ground Slam more useful. Consider getting a to counter this.
- is another effective anti-armor item against Malphite. By reducind his armor, you reduce the damage that Ground Slam deals.
- Since Malphite is more likely to build armor than health, he will be very susceptible to high burst from magic damage. Consider this when picking champions to counter him.
- Don't neglect the burst damage from Unstoppable Force in a 1v1. It has high base damage, not to mention a high ability power ratio.
- Avoid grouping together with your allies to decrease the impact of an Unstoppable Force.