|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Due to Malphite's Granite Shield, Ground Slam and Unstoppable Force, he is extremely well-suited to a tanking and initiating role.
- Seismic Shard is a strong ability with several utilities:
- It can be used for harassment and poking in lane, with some mana regen.
- In a teamfight, Seismic Shard helps Malphite stick to the enemy's carries.
- When escaping or chasing, Seismic Shard will simultaneously slow enemy champions while hasting yourself.
- Seismic Shard can also be used on minions to gain the speed bonus to catch up to someone out of range.
- Malphite's standard combo is first activating Brutal Strikes, slowing an enemy with Seismic Shard, charging in with Unstoppable Force, then ending with Ground Slam. With a high amount of armor, this combo can shut down multiple enemies at once, especially if they're melee-DPS.
- Malphite excels at being an anti-carry, designed to stop carries in their tracks with his Ground Slam and then destroy them with his high damage output.
- Malphite can make a strong counter to certain solo top champions, such as Tryndamere, Irelia, or Jax that have few ranged options and need to auto-attack to secure lane control. Use Seismic Shard to harass and Ground Slam to interfere with last hits, giving you free reign to farm yourself.
- If your enemy is on low health and they are behind a wall, Unstoppable Force can go through walls and you can pick up a kill easily.
- Malphite's Unstoppable Force combined with other champions' abilities like Curse of the Sad Mummy, Glacial Prison, and Crescendo can incapacitate most or all of the enemy team members for several seconds.
- Jungling works especially well on Malphite as his Brutal Strikes paired with Ground Slam can clear camps with moderate ease. Granite Shield along with the attack speed debuff from Ground Slam migitates some damage taken from monsters.
- However his ganks, before gaining access on his ultimate, are has moderate effect since Seismic Shard only steals movement speed from enemies.
- When jungling on Malphite, it is crucial to reach level 6 quickly. A gank with Unstoppable Force is extremely devastating and can turn even slippery laners such as Fizz into easy kills when used correctly.
- Malphite is an extremely durable tank with excellent peeling and initiating capabilities. He is strong enough to soak the enemy team's damage and hold their attention but damaging enough to solo enemy fighters efficiently. His prime attributes are ability power, armor, and health.
- Malphite is typically built for a tank role but can be built with ability power, trading off late game utility for damage.
- is a great item, as not only it gives ability power, but also gives health and mana. This not only boosts Malphite's tankyness, but also solves his mana problems.
- magic resistance and lowering the enemies'. Since most of Malphite's abilities deal magical damage, this item can increase his damage output significantly. is a possible build option, boosting his
- Malphite, as it increases armor for Ground Slam and AP for Unstoppable Force and Seismic Shard. The active effect also allows Granite Shield (as well as all of his other abilities) more time to reactivate. is a good but highly situational item on
- In an extremely ability-power focused build, Malphite can buy . Remember, however, that Malphite has low ability power ratios, so this item is recommended most of time only as a late-game purchase.
- It is possible to build Malphite as a full AP offensive champion. This allows him to function as a burst mage, allowing him to pick off enemy champions and burst them down. People often don't expect Malphite to have such amounts of burst. Keep in mind that this will leave Malphite very squishy, so it is still recommended to build him as a tank most of time.
- It is also possible to build Malphite as an AP bruiser. This build is great as it gives Malphite a mix of damage and durability and allow him to potentially win against champions that counter him, namely AP champions such as Rumble and Vladimir. However, this build falls off late game and is much less optimal for tanking.
- Consider purchasing a Ground Slam.
or to support the effect of his
- Malphite. also grants mana and cooldown reduction, which are both very desirable stats on
- Malphite profits highly from buying armor, so purchasing items with that stat is very efficient.
- Granite Shield and Ground Slam. and are very strong choices, increasing the effectiveness of his
- When purchasing Thornmail, remember that Ground Slam reduces attack speed, which can backfire, as the enemy will attack Malphite less times, thus taking less damage from Thornmail. However, this item is still effective, especially against champions such as Master Yi (which is immune to attack speed slows), or if the enemy ranged ADC is fed (as he will likely not be in range for Malphite to use Ground Slam).
- Recent changes to Thornmail made it so that the passive scales with bonus armor. This benefits Malphite even more, as he is very likely to stack a lot of armor. Not only that, Brutal Strikes further increases this amount of armor, making Thornmail even more efficient on him.
- When combined with Randuin's Omen and Frozen Heart, Ground Slam leave the enemy's attack speed ridiculously slow, making Malphite take very little damage if they are auto-attack based. Just be wary of caster champions, as they don't care about having their attack speed slowed (as they don't rely on it). If they are AD casters, however, the armor still works against them.
- Although Malphite specializes in tanking physical damage due to his heavy focus on armor and reducing attack speed, be sure to get at least a moderate amount of magic resistance with items like or when facing multiple AP opponents. Your armor will have very little effect against casters like Ryze or Annie.
- Look to buy items with mixed stats to maximize efficiency: , and all combine health and a powerful passive with a resistance.
- Malphite to poke enemies with his Seismic Shard and take lane control despite the high mana costs. The magic resist component can be useful against certain matchups such as Dr. Mundo or Orianna.
is a useful item for the laning phase, allowing
- Malphite valuable ability power and cooldown reduction. can later be upgraded to , which gives
- is a viable late game option to allow Malphite to sustain himself after a teamfight or against poke-based teams. It is also especially good against burst champions, especially if they stack armor penetration.
- Because Malphite's abilities deal magic damage, and they have good base damage (but poor scalings, with exception of his ultimate), he benefits a lot from magic penetration.
- Despite this, it is not recommended to buy , as this item does not give any tanky stats.
- Seismic Shard. This item alone will make Malphite deal a lot more damage, not to mention it works well if Malphite decides to buy . Just don't buy this item too early, as it does not give armor, magic resistance, or enough HP. , however, is a great item to buy on Malphite. This item actually gives some HP, has flat magic penetration, and a passive that works well with Malphite's
- Malphite could build a little attack damage with the former attack damage steroid active from Brutal Strikes. However, due to the changes to Brutal Strikes, it is recommended to refrain from purchasing AD, as Malphite no longer benefits from it in any way.
- Buying cooldown reduction is a priority for Malphite as the cooldowns on his abilities persist longer than his abilities' effects.
- Starting items , x5 OR , x4
- Skill Progression: Ground Slam -- Brutal Strikes -- Ground Slam -- Seismic Shard-- Seismic Shard-- Unstoppable Force
- Jungle Route: Blue (smite), Wolves, Red (smite), Wraiths, Wight, Recall, Wolves, Wraiths, Golems.
- Try to destroy Malphite's Granite Shield before using your nukes to ensure you deal your full damage.
- Don't even try to go against Malphite as a melee autoattacker because that is exactly what he excels against with his Brutal Strikes armor and attack damage steroid and Ground Slam attack speed reduction. These alone make him heavily favored in a trade, not to mention his Granite Shield.
- Malphite's strengths come from building a lot armor, due to his Ground Slam scaling off his armor, and his kit in general being very effective against AD champions. Due to this, picking AP champions will negate his strengths by forcing him to build magic resistance and making Malphite weaker overall.
- Note whether or not Malphite is spamming his abilities (especially Seismic Shard) as he isn't exactly the most mana efficient champion around.
- Malphite has no natural sustain. By picking a champion with sustain, you can generally counter Malphite, as you will outlast him. If Malphite decides to harass or trade damage with you, and you heal all the damage back, that means he is only wasting mana (remember that Malphite is very mana hungry).
- When chasing or being chased, it may be a good idea to hold on to any movement speed increasing buffs you may have until after he has used Seismic Shard, as increasing your speed will also increase the amount of movement speed he steals and essentially nullify your boost.
- Wait until the effect of his Brutal Strikes wears off before continuing to attack Malphite as it gives him armor.
- If you are using a champion whose primary damage source is from auto-attacks, try to stay out of range of Ground Slam, as this will reduce your damage significantly.
- Malphite will usually build armor to make the effect of his Ground Slam more useful. Consider getting a to counter this.
- Ground Slam deals. is another effective anti-armor item against Malphite. By reducind his armor, you reduce the damage that
- Since Malphite is more likely to build armor than health, he will be very susceptible to high burst from magic damage. Consider this when picking champions to counter him.
- Don't neglect the burst damage from Unstoppable Force in a 1v1. It has high base damage, not to mention a high ability power ratio.
- Avoid grouping together with your allies to decrease the impact of an Unstoppable Force.
- Vladimir is considered one of the best counters to Malphite due to a few reasons. The first is that Vladimir is an AP champion, and as such he doesn't care for any armor that Malphite buys, and forces him to build early magic resistance items (which make Malphite weaker as he doesn't scale with magic resistance). The second is that Vladimir himself is tanky, and while he isn't as tanky as Malphite, he is tanky enough so that Malphite can't burst him down. The third is that Vladimir has sustain, and is manaless; as such, Malphite has very little hope of outsustaining him, as he is very mana hungry and has no natural health sustain. The fourth is that due to Vladimir's Transfusion and Tides of Blood having low cooldowns, he can constantly keep Granite Shield down and prevent it from regenerating. Finally, a well-timed Sanguine Pool can easily dodge Unstoppable Force.
- While Malphite has much more utility for his team (more CC, an attack speed slow, and is tankier), Vladimir has much more damage, especially AoE sustained damage, and as such, he has as much teamfighting presence as Malphite.