Skill usage Edit
- Malzahar can Summon Voidlings by spamming abilities at spawn. This can be useful at beginning of game by using an ability to quickly decimate the jungle monsters or enemy minions in your lane.
- Never underestimate Call of the Void. It is extremely effective at turning team fights, both damaging and silencing as many enemies as possible.
- Call of the Void can turn a disadvantageous push from enemy team into a stalemate by spamming it on incoming enemy champions. Enemies who were damaged and silenced will think twice, or even retreat from the front due to the momentary vulnerability while the silence debuff is in place.
- If there is an enemy who needs to cast his whole combo and escape with skill try to silence him after he is in range. He will be an easy target after it.
- Remember that Call of the Void grants vision. Use this to check bushes or over walls for enemy champions.
- Casting Malefic Visions on an enemy minion that is about to die is a good way to farm minion kills or harass safely because of its chain reaction.
- At rank 5, with about 100 ability power, it can completely kill both melee and caster minions at full health.
- Malzahar will still gain gold and xp from anywhere on the map if Malefic Visions finishes off the minions. This is useful both to avoid being denied and to continue to farm aggressively all game long, but be careful as this might cost you gold and exp if the vision is blocked by enemy champions or siege minions.
- Leveling up Malefic Visions early in the game is a great way to harass enemy champions without using any mana. Simply cast it on a wave of minions near the enemy champion and auto-attack the infected minion until it spreads to the champion. This results in around 50-120 gold, almost no mana lost (you might have gained mana), and the enemy champion being out of 100-200 health. At rank 1 it takes 6 minion kills to fully refund the mana cost. At all other ranks it takes 5 minion kills to fully refund the mana cost.
- Against a single target (champion), Malefic Visions is Malzahar's most mana-efficient damage ability even if it doesn't jump, and is his only harassment method that won't push his lane.
- There is a bug where two nearby Malefic Visions will not both propagate. Try to avoid casting a second copy in big minion waves.
- Malzahar is very good at harassing enemies under a turret. Call of the Void and Null Zone both have excellent range, and can be used to harass or finish off enemies under a turret. Call of the Void and Malefic Visions both take a second before they deal their damage, allowing you to get back out of turret range.
- Nether Grasp has a suppression effect; it disables the use of summoner spells and is not affected by tenacity like . However, the suppression effect of his ultimate can be canceled by , Olaf's Ragnarok, Gangplank's Remove Scurvy or Alistar's Unbreakable Will.
- During a team fight use Nether Grasp to disable any high DPS or healers for your team to pick off quick. When carefully aimed it can be used through some walls in Summoner's Rift, Twisted Treeline and the Crystal Scar as well.
- A combo of Call of the Void, Null Zone, Malefic Visions, Nether Grasp, and Ignite will kill all but the toughest champions, which makes Malzahar a great 1v1 champion.
- It's highly recommended that you use Smart cast to fire your arsenal of abilities as quickly as possible and deny your target any chance to escape.
- Malzahar's Null Zone deals a percentage of the target's maximum health, meaning that late game Malzahar can deal tons of damage when multiple enemies stand on his Null Zone.
- Don't underestimate the power of Null Zone; unlike many pool attacks, its damage scales off the enemy's max HP, allowing it to do potentially more damage than most other pool attacks.
- Also, working with teammates to stun an enemy champion on Null Zone can prove to be devastating.
- Malzahar's Nether Grasp does not have to be used to kill an enemy, but can disable an enemy instead.
- Null Zone is a great way of zoning enemies as they realize it takes away a percentage of their health.
- Unlike most burst mages Malzahar can bring down fighters without much resistance, as his combo is the most powerful in-game (balanced by the entire lack of escaping abilities) and offers the highest DPS in game during the 2.5-3.5 seconds in which most of it happens.
- Remember that Malzahar is a combo mage (NOT A BURST MAGE, as it requires him to channel it), this means:
- He has a massive power curve at level 6 and can flash-kill almost any laning opponent.
- He is an easy prey to anti-combo opponents, such as Kassadin.
- He is VERY ultimate dependent to kill enemy by himself, get caught without it and your best chance to kill someone is to land Malefic Visions, Call of the Void and Null Zone in the way while you run.
- No one can safely 1v1 you without .
- If a spell shield is in your way try to pop in down with Call of the Void.
- He has long cooldowns, be extra-careful during those and abuse of your Voidlings while you have no abilities, as unleashing a full combo will always get at least a voidling.
- Malzahar excels at killing carries and mages on teamfights, as they cannot defend or attack at all because of Nether Grasp and they are too fragile to survive, but it is dangerous to do so when the enemy frontline is present and carries are more likely to get a .
- It is usually a better idea to use Nether Grasp on fighters or initiators than on carries, as a full combo with QWER and assistance of your team can most likely take out one member of the enemy team from the beginning of the teamfight.
- Malzahar is a great pusher with his Malefic Visions and either with his Call of the Void or his Null Zone. This allows Malzahar to help lanes in trouble by pushing his own and with his combo at lvl 6 can ensure a kill.
- At level 6 while pushing with your Malefic Visions and your enemy laner gets caught you can then lay down your Null Zone and then Nether Grasp for an easy kill.
Build usage Edit
- Although Malzahar has no mana problem in lane if Malefic Visions is chained through the minions, outside of the lane Malzahar is mana hungry. So building one of these three : a , a or a early game will solve the problem.
- is a great item for Malzahar considering he has no real escape mechanism or crowd control other than Nether Grasp and Call of the Void. However, since all of his abilities are AoE or DoT, only the 15% slow applies, making this item less effective.
- Due to being a DoT champion, building a and a on Malzahar will allow him to inflict even more damage over time. The burn effect on will deal double damage to a slowed enemy, thanks to , allowing abilities such as Malefic Visions to become devastating.
- Using a is another good idea for more survivability and prevents your ultimate Nether Grasp from being interrupted by an enemy with a stun or silence.
- is a good item as it will keep you alive with the spell vamp while you are using Nether Grasp. However, on his AoE spells, the spell vamp is diminished (33% rate). Farming minions waves with Malefic Visions and spell vamp item can restore a lot of mana and restore health.
- offers both spell vamp and ability power, which benefits Malzahar.
- will also give spell vamp, but also would drastically increase the power of his voidlings, as they scale with his bonus damage.
- provides spell vamp, ability power, mana regeneration and cooldown reduction, and is very cheap to purchase, although it is not a late game item.
- is a useful item, giving you a lot of magic penetration, allowing all your abilities to deal more damage. Also use items such as and . is also a great item to get if enemy team composition is magic-heavy.
- You cannot use the active in conjunction with Nether Grasp - it will interrupt the spell.
- Malzahar can be built as a pusher as well. With his Voidling, he is able to put out a considerable amount of damage on turrets. Don't be afraid to buy if you are feeling confident enough to push.
- is a great buy for Malzahar because all of his spells have high ability power ratios.
- Banner of the Command, even when not using it as AD Malzahar, is quite a potent buy. The 80 AP and 20% is quite a powerful combination of stats. And, the passive helps strengthen his voidlings which is not too bad. Banner also gives Malzahar the freedom to roam more and better as he can simply use the active on a siege minion in mid and go gank the other lanes.
- Malzahar has an unspoken potential as an AD caster due to the fact that Malzahar's voidlings benefit from his AD, and his armor penetration. This makes a spam-oriented AD Malzahar build fairly viable.
- provides Cooldown Reduction, Armor Penetration, and Attack damage, as well as a handy passive that makes autoattacking more frequently a valuable asset.
- To supplement the high mana costs regarding spamming spells, can synergize in particular with this build as it provides Mana and damage, which helps you deliver minions that are in turn stronger. Additionally, also gives Malzahar strength with his autoattacks, although it is advised to use Muramana's passive sparingly, as it will drain your mana just as fast as any of your skills.
- grants his Voidlings 15% increased damage, as well as giving Malzahar AP for spell damage and cooldown reduction for more spell spamming. This should be in most Voidling-centric builds regardless of an AD focus or not, for its valuable stat bonuses that any kind of Malzahar can use.
- provides CDR, built-in penetration, and attack damage, while also giving Malzahar more incentive to autoattack, as your attacks will passively reduce armor for all incoming sources of physical damage, including Voidlings.
- For this kind of build, allows you to augment physical attacks and encourage your spell-spamming while giving you light CC and and damage for your Voidlings.
- For a tankier AD build, and can provide stellar health and regen, as well as armor and bonus damage.
- can grant a spectacular amount of damage and sustain, and Malzahar is naturally good at farming minions up.
- To make Malzahar's autoattacks potentially more lethal, can grant you a potential for larger damage through critical strikes. Regardless of whether or not you're concerned with Malzahar's regular damage output, his voidlings will still benefit from the attack damage it grants.
- For boots, consider either getting , or . Greaves will give Malzahar a greater DPS output, while the Treads help keep Malzahar fairly tanky. The Ionian Boots will give Malzahar CDR, to help with his spamming potential.
- With CDR in mind, quick and easy ways to achieve 40% CDR include and .
Recommended builds Edit
|The Howling Abyss|
|The Crystal Scar|
|The Twisted Treeline|
- Nether Grasp's suppression can be removed by , Alistar's Unbreakable Will, Gangplank's Remove Scurvy and Olaf's Ragnarok
- and might give an enemy Malzahar second thoughts about trying to suppress you with Nether Grasp.
- Malzahar's abilities deal magic damage so getting more than 100 magic resist can severely hinder the amount of damage he puts out.
- Malzahar's one of the (if not the) most powerful 1v1 champions in game as his combo is extremely overwhelming for almost any champion, because they can't benefit from any life steal or spell vamp during the combo, due to been disabled, in the other hand, he is pretty weak if long range crowd control or tank with long range gap-closer is present.
- Take care when going 1v1 against an enemy Malzahar as Nether Grasp is usually used to combo with Malefic Visions and Null Zone. Usually this will be a kill for Malzahar .
- Keep in mind that Malzahar is essentially stunned when he uses Nether Grasp, as it has a fairly long channel time. Take advantage of this to gang up on him if he uses it in a bad position.
- Save a disable for when Malzahar uses his Nether Grasp.
- If you see one of your allies under the effect of Nether Grasp, you can stun or silence the enemy Malzahar out of the channeling and safe your alliles.
- Be extremely careful about turret diving Malzahar even if he has very low health, he will just deliver the combo, while you are suppressed and getting killed by the turret
- If you play as a tank, take care not to stand above Null Zone for too long or else the spell will devastate your health and can sometimes kill you if you're not too careful as it deals a percentage of your health.
- Malefic Visions is Malzahar's main farming-tool and mana-sustain early game. If you stand next to a minion that has Malefic Visions on it, so that it jumps over to you and not to another minion, you can deny part of his farm early game, but beware that Malefic Visions and voildings still do considerable damage. This tactic is better used by high sustain champions with self-heal or huge shields like Galio whose shield allow to catch Malefic Visions and still get away pretty unharmed.
Champion spotlight EditMalzahar Champion Spotlight(07:10)