|Champion||Ability Details||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
Skill usage Edit
- Master Yi's Double Strike is similar to Caitlyn's Headshot. It is very useful when farming minions. Gathering stacks on it by attacking minions, then attacking the enemy on the seventh strike is an effective harassment method.
- Using Alpha Strike with Double Strike ready and activating Wuju Style as soon as Master Yi reappears can be an excellent harassment technique as it often takes most of the opponent's health in early game.
- Alpha Strike's multiple-target component has a deceptively long range. You can target minions near an enemy champion to harass them.
- If Alpha Strike is used on a unit that dies before the ability finishes, Master Yi will end up where Alpha Strike was first cast as opposed to near the first unit cast on.
- Alpha Strike's can also be used to escape chasing enemies, by placing a ward on the Neutral monster.
- Alpha Strike can also be used defensively. Since it includes a dash function, you can dodge skillshots. Also, Master Yi is untargetable during the teleport, so Alpha Strike can be used to dodge AoE nukes such as Nunu's Absolute Zero if timed properly.
- If you're in a lane against ranged players, leveling up Meditate can allow you to stay in the lane longer and gain levels faster than the opponents.
- Use Meditate if you are being focused on, as the bonus armor and magic resistance greatly reduces your damage taken.
- When you are being chased, hiding in a brush and channeling Meditate can give you the upper hand against the enemies. However, do not do this if they can still defeat you after the Meditate.
- Be aware that Blinds can effectively cut almost all of Master Yi's damage if not using an ability power build.
- When playing ability power Master Yi, remember that Highlander refreshes all your cooldowns on a kill. Try to cast Alpha Strike so it will result in a kill. This may seem like kill stealing but it will greatly increase the damage the other team will take.
- Highlander can be used as an effective escape tool, especially with Ghost used at the same time. it is also incredibly great at chasing enemies because you cannot be slowed and gain a movement speed boost.
- Triggering Wuju Style and Highlander when combined with various melee increases makes Master Yi a high damage dealer, if for short periods. It's especially effective in destroying towers.
- Wuju Style combined with Alpha Strike are very strong for last hitting minions.
- Master Yi is one of the best backdoorers. Activating Highlander and Wuju Style then attacking a turret can take it down very fast.
- Once Master Yi gets enough major items, he is able to rush into the enemy team, swiftly assassinate key targets like the carry or mages, and then Meditate or escape. Watch for cooldowns on disables while doing this.
Build usage Edit
- Master Yi can build several ways. With the proper items and runes, he can be built as a burst mage, or he can build and to be a tanky DPS.
- , as with most champions, helps in laning because of the armor, health, and health regeneration.
- Because Master Yi is very fragile, critical strike and items can help him deal a lot of burst damage in and life steal helps him stay alive as long as he's doing damage.
- Attack speed items like , , and can greatly increase his DPS with Double Strike. It is important to keep in mind Highlander's attack speed bonus; it's not hard to accidentally cap out his attack speed.
- Combining attack damage and attack speed items are effective in increasing Master Yi's DPS.
- Cooldown reduction items are great to increase his overall use of abilities, which in general have fairly long cooldowns.
- Using Highlander and the active effect of at the same time is very effective in many situations since both of these have great attack speed and movement speed bonus. Rushing at level 1 by starting with a and leveling Wuju Style allows for effective last hitting and a high damage output. That gives you 15 bonus damage, or with Wuju Style, 30 bonus damage early game.
- Generally, items that provide bonuses on attacking or subsequent attacking are more useful on Master Yi than on other heroes due to Double Strike and his high attack speed.
- Since Master Yi is an effective DPS/Pusher, it is useful to build him with damage and attack speed runes. Life steal can also be useful with increased damage and attack speed.
- Master Yi is extremely vulnerable to crowd control abilities, especially blind and snare, so players are recommended Cleanse as a summoner spell to counteract these effects.
- A full ability power-based Master Yi can work well. Alpha Strike becomes a fairly strong AoE nuke, and is refreshed instantly if a kill is scored while Highlander is active. Meditate also heals far more, often making Master Yi unkillable while meditating, and allows him to tank turrets for his team (of course, any hard crowd control effect will break it).
- A hybrid ability power-based Master Yi can yield good results with items such as or , especially if your enemies have high armor.
- works exceptionally well with Master Yi, as after level 6, and even before he is able to rip through most casters with ease, creating a powerful snowball effect.
- Items such as or work well on Master Yi as he lacks any form of crowd control.
- Red buff is crucial for Master Yi before such items are acquired.
| Greater Mark of Attack Speed|
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Armor Penetration
|Skill Order||Route Order||Notes|
| Alpha Strike|
Recommended builds Edit
|The Howling Abyss|
|The Crystal Scar|
|The Twisted Treeline|
- Master Yi's strength is his biggest weakness. His main damage output is his auto-attacks. Therefore, buying a or will help you defend yourself.
- When Yi uses Meditate, it is better to use a form of crowd control (especially silence or knockup, as these interrupt him) than attempting to deal damage.
- Using Exhaust on Master Yi can cripple his damage output, even during Highlander.
- Slow is ineffective when Master Yi uses Highlander.
- Master Yi excels at backdooring. Keep this in mind and be particularly aware of your mini-map.
- You can use Ignite on Master Yi during Meditate to reduce his healing by half but it will not stop him from channeling the spell.
- When Master Yi is laning AP mid, he relies on Meditate, thus making champions that can apply Grievous Wounds / healing reduction strong counterpicks (such as Fizz).
- Remember that Master Yi's Wuju Style only gives him the bonus when the spell is not on cooldown, making Master Yi weaker when Wuju Style is on cooldown.