- Mordekaiser was designed by Coronach.
- Mordekaiser is one of five champions voiced by Adam Harrington, the other four being Karthus, Ryze, Kassadin, and Shaco.
- Morderkaiser is possibly inspired by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, particularly the rider symbolizing Conquest. Or, given his strong connections to sickness and malady, Pestilence. (The other horsemen theme champions to have been realesed so far are Karthus, Thresh and Hecarim.)
- Every one of Mordekaiser's abilities is in reference to a heavy metal song:
- Children of the Grave / Iron Man are both songs by .
- The buff to the prisoner from Children of the Grave used to be called , an song; however, now, it is simply called "Children of the Grave buff."
- Mace of Spades refers to the song , by from the eponymous album, Ace of Spades.
- Mace of Spades is translated to "Morgenstern" in the German and french versions of the game. "Morgenstern" is in German the name of the weapon he uses. is also a song by . Translated back to English, Morgenstern means " ", a category of spiked, medieval mace-like weapons.
- Siphon of Destruction refers to the song , by .
- Creeping Death is a song by from the album .
- Creeping Death is translated to "Metallische Luft" in the German version of the game, which translates back to Metallic Air, also a reference to Metallica.
- Mordekaiser is one of the five champions who use health as a primary resource for casting spells. The other four champions are Aatrox, Dr. Mundo, Vladimir and Zac.
- Mordekaiser's name is derived from the online identity of Yun "Stich" Lam, the girlfriend of a Riot designer, Colt 'Ezreal' Hallam.
- "Mordekaiser" means "Murder Emperor" when translated from German.
- Currently Children of the Grave applies the longest damage over time debuff in the game.
- The meme of "Mordekaiser es #1, huehuehue" originates from a NA League of Legends user who made the "Brasil 5v5 tier list". This was later popularized by McRoosterDota's video
- The the Mac Debut Video, there is a child's drawing of Mordekaiser standing next to a burning house with "I ♥ My Daddy" written at the top.
- His mace can also be seen alongside Caitlyn's rifle.
- Mordekaiser's quotes are also metal references.
- His quote , "No pain, no drain!" is a direct reference to his own mechanic , as he will not "drain" any shield for Iron Man if he doesn't hit anything (the "pain")
- It's also a reference to the song "No pain, no Gain" , by the German metal band Scorpions
- Mordekaiser breaks the fourth wall on occasion, saying "You only need to click once, fool!" when he is ordered to move.
- "So be it... Summoner." Is a direct reference to from the saga when the Emperor says to Luke Skywalker: "So be it... Jedi."
- Mordekaiser's quote, "Time to shred" is a reference to Shredding, a type of guitar play : consists of performing a very fast and hard melody solo , which is particularly common in Heavy Metal.
- Mordekaiser shares the same quote with Evelynn: "If I must."
- Mordekaiser shares a quote with Renekton: "Carnage!"
- Mordekaiser shares a Pentakill skin theme with Karthus, Sona, Yorick and Olaf.
- Dragon Knight from Dota 2 shares a similar color scheme with Dragon Knight Mordekaiser.
- Lord Mordekaiser originally had a spike on its belt, which was removed for suggestiveness. This could still be seen during the loading screen for a couple patches, but has since been corrected.
- The skin in question may have been a reference to William Murderface's codpiece from the television show Metalocalypse.
- Lord Mordekaiser skin resembles
- To be specific, it also resembles the other Dark Lord from Tolkien works, Melkor/Morgoth from The Silmarillion, Sauron's master and the first Dark Lord.
- It also resembles the first Overlord from the videogame franchise.
- It also resembles the Chaos Space Marines in Warhammer 40000 Universe (the Chinese image is very similar to cover).
- Mordekaiser originally came from the Shadow Isles but is currently stalking the slums of Noxus.
- Mordekaiser is in the metal band Pentakill with Karthus, Olaf, Sona and Yorick. According to the Journal, the band is said to be successful across Valoran.
- The altars on the Twisted Treeline suggest :
- "I serve you, because I must, Mordekaiser."-Western Altar, "I serve you gladly, Mordekaiser." -Eastern altar , Mordekaiser had(s) some high rank in the Shadow Isles, fortunately evidenced by his old lore which said that he was an undead general.
- "Mordekaiser is not to be trusted, Hecarim!"-Western Altar, taking in count that Hecarim fights for the Shadow Isles, Mordekaiser actual goals aren't linked to the Isles, but to his personal benefits.
- "Are you also a prisoner Mordekaiser"-Western altar, likely means that Mordekaiser affiliation to the Shadow Isles is forced, and he fights this by following his personal objectives, not of the Isles.
- Apart from the altars, this quote (from his old lore) "The common perception is that the encompassing armor protects him, I fear that – for the fragile time being – it actually protects us."―Rozuel Fecirem, somewhat confirm the Western Altar quote, as his armor might be his prison.
- Mordekaiser and Hecarim know each other, and are stated to have similar beliefs, but disagree when it comes to how they achieve their goals.