A champion with 300 movement speed (half of Ashe's range) will take 2 seconds to travel that distance.
Each champion begins the game with a particular base movement speed, ranging from 325 (e.g. Anivia and Nautilus) to 355 ( Master Yi and Pantheon) units per second. For a list of all champions' base movement speed, see base champion statistics.
This base movement speed can be increased by flat bonuses and percentage bonuses and reduced by slows. These effects can come from items, champion abilities, spells, masteries, runes or neutral buffs.
A champion's movement speed is given by the following formula:
- (Base Movement Speed + Flat Movement Bonuses) × (1 + Additional Percentage Movement Bonuses) × (1 + Multiplicative Percentage Movement Bonuses) × (1 - Slow Ratio × Slow Resist Ratio)
The soft cap are then applied to the result.
Flat bonuses are applied first, then additional percent bonuses, then multiplicative percent bonuses, and slows, then the soft cap. Because bonuses and slows are applied to each other, a champion affected by a 20% bonus and a 20% slow still has a net reduced movement speed (e.g. 300 × 1.2 × 0.8 = 288).
Movement speed caps
When the raw movement speed is greater than 415, there are two soft caps applied:
- The raw speed between 415 and 490 gets multiplied by 80%.
- The raw speed over 490 gets multiplied by 50%.
The two ranges have their reductions applied at the same time before being added back together.
- As an example, if the calculated raw speed is 600 before soft caps kick in, it is reduced to (600 − 490) × 0.5 + (490 − 415) × 0.8 + 415 = 530, which means an 11.7% reduction of the original movement speed.
These are the simplified formulas:
- If the raw speed is 415 or under, no cap is applied.
- If the raw speed is between 415 and 490, final speed is soft capped to RawMS × 0.8 + 83.
- If the raw speed is above 490, final speed is soft capped to RawMS × 0.5 + 230.
When the raw movement speed is less than 220 another soft cap is used:
- If the raw speed below 220, it gets multiplied by 50% and added to 110.
- Example: if the calculated raw speed is 180 before soft caps kick in, it is increased to 180 × 0.5 + 110 = 200.
Slowing effects follow particular rules when stacking:
- If a champion is affected by multiple slows, the strongest one will be fully applied, while the others are applied sequentially with 65% reduced effectiveness down to 35% of its original strength.
- Slow effects derived from items with the same name or named item effect do NOT stack, even when coming from different champions. Only the strongest item slow is applied at any moment. The exception to this is the active effect of , , and , which stacks with other slowing items normally because they are considered champion abilities for slow stacking purposes.
- Attacking a champion with the Blessing of the Lizard Elder buff when the target is already affected by that slow will reapply the debuff, resetting its duration. It will NOT increase the slow amount. The same holds true for the Exhaust summoner spell.
A champion with a raw movement speed of 400 is affected by a 2 second long 40% slow and a 5 second long 20% slow at the same time.
- For the first two seconds, he will have (1 − 0.4) × (1 − 0.2 × 0.35) = 0.6 × 0.93 = 55.8% of his original movement speed (a 44.2% effective slow). So he will have 400 × 0.558 = 223.2 raw movement speed.
- For the following three seconds, the effective slow will be 20% and so he will have 400 × 0.8 = 320 movement speed.
- After that, he will return to his normal speed of 400.
Slow Resist is a statistic that reduces the effectiveness of slows by a percentage. It may currently only be gained by the Swiftness mastery, and Sejuani's Frost Armor. Slow Resist stacks multiplicatively.
Increasing flat movement speed
The bonus given by these items or champion abilities are flat increases to the champion's base movement speed. These flat bonuses will increase the effectiveness of percentage bonuses.
Purchasing boots from the store grants a champion a flat increase in movement speed. Champions cannot buy more than one set of boots. The bonus from boots is quite big compared to their cost and is essential for all champions.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +25 movement speed. 325 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +45 movement speed. +25% attack speed. 1000 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +45 movement speed.Unique Passive: Blocks 10% of the damage from champion basic attacks. +25 armor. 1000 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +25 movement speed. Increase to +105 when out of combat for 5 seconds. 800 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +60 movement speed. Unique Passive - Slow Resist: Movement slowing effects are reduced by 25%. 1000 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +45 movement speed. Unique Passive: +15% cooldown reduction. 1000 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +45 movement speed. +15 magic penetration. 1100 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Enhanced movement: +45 movement speed. +25 magic resistance. Unique Passive - Tenacity: The duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds, and immobilizes are reduced by 35%. 1200 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Alacrity: You gain +20 movement speed. 475 gold.
- : Passive - 3 Trophies: +25 Movement Speed 25 while out of combat or while in brush. Passive - 6 Trophies: Unseen Predator's range is increased by 125. 12 Trophies: Thrill of the Hunt's stealth duration is increased by 5 seconds. 20 Trophies: Thrill of the Hunt's bonus movement speed while stealthed is doubled. 0 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Rage: Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 2 seconds on hit. Minion, monster, and champion kills grant 60 movement speed for 2 seconds. +55 attack damage, +275 health. Unique active: For 5 seconds, your attacks reduce your target's movement speed by 30% and deal 80 true damage over 2.5 seconds. 60 second cooldown. 2700 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Rage: Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 2 seconds on hit. Minion, monster, and champion kills grant 60 movement speed for 2 seconds. +20 attack damage, +200 health. 1325 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Rage: Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 2 seconds on hit. Minion, monster, and champion kills grant 60 movement speed for 2 seconds. +30 attack damage, +30 ability power, +30% attack speed, +10% critical strike chance, +250 health, +200 mana, +8% movement speed. Unique Passive - Spellblade: After using an ability, your next basic attack deals bonus physical damage equal to 200% of your base attack damage. 2 second cooldown. 3703 gold.
- Elise's Spider Form passively grants her 10 flat movement speed while she is in spider form.
- Evelynn's Dark Frenzy grants her 4 / 8 / 12 / 16 / 20 flat movement speed for 3 seconds each time she hits an enemy champion with her abilities. This effect stacks up to 4 times.
- Jayce's Hextech Capacitor grants him 40 movement speed for 1.25 seconds each time Transform is cast.
- Kennen's Lightning Rush grants him 335 flat movement speed for 3 seconds.
- Miss Fortune's Strut passively grants her 25 movement speed after not taking damage for 5 seconds, which gradually increases to 70 movement speed over 5 seconds.
- Nami's Surging Tides grants 40 (+10% AP) flat movement speed for 1.5 seconds when Nami's abilities hit allied champions.
- Quinn's Heightened Senses grants her 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 flat movement speed for 3 seconds when she attacks a target marked as Vulnerable by Harrier.
- Ryze's Desperate Power grants him 80 flat movement speed for 5 / 6 / 7 seconds.
- Singed's Insanity Potion grants him 35 / 50 / 65 flat movement speed for 25 seconds.
- Sivir's Fleet of Foot grants her / / / / flat movement speed for 2 seconds when she hits an enemy champion with her abilities or basic attacks.
- Malphite's Seismic Shard steals 14 / 17 / 20 / 23 / 26% movement speed from the target as a flat movement speed bonus for 4 seconds.
- Sona's Song of Celerity passively grants nearby allied champions 4 / 8 / 12 / 16 / 20 flat movement speed.
- Udyr's Monkey's Agility gives him 5 flat movement speed for 5 seconds each time he switches stance. This effect stacks up 3 times.
- Vayne's Night Hunter passively grants her 30 flat movement speed when moving towards an enemy champion. Final Hour grants her 90 flat movement speed for 8 / 10 / 12 seconds when moving towards an enemy champion instead.
Increasing Percentage movement speed
The bonus movement speed given by these items or champion abilities are based on a percentage of the bonus compared to your total flat movement speed (before all sources of percentage movement speed bonuses are factored in). Percentage movement speed will stack additionally with other sources of percentage movement speed, unless the bonus movement speed is the few exceptions that stack multiplicity.
All percentage bonus listed below stacks additionally with one another.
- : +5% movement speed, +30 ability power. 950 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Captain: Allied champions running toward you gain 8% bonus movement speed. Nearby minions gain 20% bonus movement speed. 750 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Furor: Whenever you deal damage with a single target attack or spell, you gain 12% movement speed that decays over 2 seconds. 475 gold.
- : Unique Passive - Homeguard: Whenever you are at fountain, you instantly gain full health and mana, and gain a 200% movement speed boost that decays over 8 seconds. The bonus movement speed is lost upon entering combat. The effect cannot activate while in combat. 475 gold.
- : +5% movement speed, +80 ability power, +250 mana. Unique Passive – Spellblade: After using an ability, your next basic attack deals bonus magic damage equal to 75% base AD (+ 50% AP). 2 second cooldown. 3000 gold.
- : +5% movement speed, +50% attack speed, +30% critical strike chance. 2800 gold.
- : Unique Active – Quicksilver: Removes all debuffs from your champion. Melee champions also gain +50% movement speed for 1 second. 90 second cooldown. +60 attack damage, +45 magic resist. 3700 gold.
- : Unique Active: Grants nearby allies +40% movement speed for 3 seconds. 60 second cooldown. +20% cooldown reduction, +10 health regeneration, +15 mana regeneration, +2 gold per 10 seconds. Unique Passive - Favor: Being near a minion death without granting the killing blow grants 3 gold and heals for 10 health. You may only be in possession of 1 Gold Income item. 2200 gold.
- : +6% movement speed, +40% attack speed, +20% critical strike chance. Unqiue Passive: Moving and attacking build Static Charges. At 100 Charges, your next attack expends the Charges to deal 100 magic damage to up to 4 targets. This damage can critically strike. 2500 gold.
- : +8% movement speed, +30 ability power, +30 attack damage, +30% attack speed, +10% critical strike chance, +250 health, +200 mana. Unique Passive - Rage: Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 2 seconds on hit. Minion, monster, and champion kills grant 60 movement speed for 2 seconds. Unique Passive - Spellblade: On cast, for 10 seconds, your next standard attack deals extra damage equal to 200% of your base attack damage. Cooldown 2 seconds. 3703 gold.
- : +6% movement speed, +80 ability power, +10% cooldown reduction. Unqiue Active - Hunt: Summons 2 invulnerable ghosts for 6 seconds to seek the two nearest enemy champions. If they touch an enemy champion, they slow their movement speed by 40% and reveal them for 2.5 seconds. Ghosts that fail to find a target return to the wielder, reducing the item's cooldown by / seconds each. / second cooldown. 2400 gold.
- : Unique active: You gain +40% attack speed and +20% movement speed for 6 seconds (4 seconds for ranged). 45 second cooldown. +30 attack damage, +15% critical chance. Unique passive: +20 armor penetration, +10% cooldown reduction. 2700 gold.
- : +5% movement speed, +18% attack speed, +10% critical strike chance. 1175 gold.
- : +10% movement speed, +25 attack damage, +50% attack speed, 10% cooldown reduction. Unique Passive - Tenacity: The duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds, and immobilizes are reduced by 35%. 2850 gold.
- : At 20 stacks, you gain +15% movement speed. +10 attack damage. Unique Passive: You gain +5 attack damage per stack, receiving 2 stacks for a kill or 1 stack for an assist. This effect can stack 20 times; you lose a third of your stacks if you die. 1200 gold.
Note: Only the movement speed bonus effect of these abilities is shown here. To read more about each of these abilities, follow their respective links.
- Blitzcrank's Overdrive grants him 16 / 20 / 24 / 28 / 32% increased movement speed for 8 seconds.
- Braum's Unbreakable grants him 10% increased movement speed for 3 / 3.25 / 3.5 / 3.75 / 4 seconds.
- Cassiopeia's Noxious Blast grants her 15 / 17.5 / 20 / 22.5 / 25% increased movement speed for 3 seconds if she hits a champion with the ability.
- Dr. Mundo's Sadism grants him 15 / 25 / 35% extra movement speed for 12 seconds.
- Darius's Hemorrhage grants him 5% movement speed for each bleeding enemy champion.
- Draven's Blood Rush grants him 40 / 45 / 50 / 55 / 60% movement speed for 1.5 seconds. The movement speed bonus decreases rapidly over its duration.
- Evelynn's Dark Frenzy grants her 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70% movement speed for 3 seconds.
- Fiora's Burst of Speed increases her movement speed by 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 / 15% for 3 seconds for each basic attacks she lands, stacking up to 3 times.
- Galio's Righteous Gust creates a directional draft for 5 seconds which increases the movement speed of allies passing through it by 20 / 28 / 36 / 44 / 52%.
- Gangplank's Raise Morale grants him 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7% movement speed passively. He can also activate this ability to increase his movement speed by 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20% instead, also increasing nearby allied champions' movement speed by half of that amount for the duration.
- Garen's Decisive Strike grants him 35% increased movement speed for 1.5 / 2.25 / 3 / 3.75 / 4.5 seconds.
- Janna's Tailwind increases the movement speed of nearby allied champions by 5% while she's alive.
- Janna's Zephyr passively increases her movement speed by 4 / 7 / 10 / 13 / 16% (+2% per 100 AP) and enables her to pass through units. This bonus is lost while the ability is in cooldown.
- Jayce's Acceleration Gate deploys an Acceleration Gate for 4 seconds, increasing the movement speed of all allies who pass through it by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% for 3 seconds. This bonus fades over the duration.
- Jinx's Get Excited! grants her 175% movement speed that decays over 4 seconds when a champion or tower that Jinx has dealt damage to within the last 3 seconds is killed or destroyed.
- Karma's Inspire increases an ally's movement speed by 40 / 45 / 50 / 55 / 60% for 1.25 seconds. If used with Karma's Mantra, nearby allies around the selected ally gains 60% bonus movement speed.
- Katarina's Sinister Steel increases her movement speed by 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35% for 1 second if she hits an enemy champion with this ability.
- Kayle's Divine Blessing increases an allied champion's movement speed by 18 / 21 / 24 / 27 / 30% (+7% per 100 AP) for 3 seconds.
- Kha'Zix's Void Assault grants him 40% movement speed for 1 second. This can be cast a second time within 10 seconds, or three times in total for a duration of 2 seconds each time if upgraded to Evolved Active Camouflage.
- Lulu's Whimsy grants her or an allied champion 30% (+10% per 100 AP) movement speed for 5 seconds.
- Nidalee's Prowl increases her 10% movement speed for 2 seconds when moving through brush,which increases to 30% if she is moving toward a visible enemy champion within 5500-range; increases her 30% movement when moving a Prey enemy champion within 5500-range.
- Nocturne's Duskbringer increases his movement speed by 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35% while in the trail made by the ability or left by enemy champions hit by it.
- Nunu's Blood Boil grants him and the target allied unit 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15% increased movement speed for 12 seconds.
- Orianna's Command: Dissonance leaves an electric field on the area for 3 seconds. The field speeds up allies and slows enemies by 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40% that move over it. This effect diminishes to normal over 2 seconds after leaving the area.
- Poppy's Paragon of Demacia grants her 17 / 19 / 21 / 23 / 25% increased movement speed for 5 seconds when activated.
- Rengar's Thrill of the Hunt turns stealth for / seconds or until Rengar damages an enemy. While stealthed, Rengar gains / bonus movement speed while moving toward an enemy champion.
- Rumble's Scrap Shield grants him 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30% increased movement speed for 1 second. When in the "Danger Zone", this amount is increased to 15 / 22.5 / 30 / 37.5 / 45%.
- Shyvana's Burnout grants her 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% increased movement speed for 3 to 7 seconds, this bonus movement speed decreases over time.
- Sivir's On The Hunt rallies her allies for 10 seconds, granting them 60% movement speed bonus that reduces to 20% after 2 / 3 / 4 seconds.
- Skarner's Crystalline Exoskeleton grants him a shield for up to 6 seconds and bonus movement speed that increases up to 16 / 20 / 24 / 28 / 32% over 3 seconds, as long as the shield remains.
- Sona's Song of Celerity increases the movement speed of nearby allies by 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 / 14% (+4% per 100 AP) for 1.5 seconds upon activation.
- Talon's Shadow Assault will stealth Talon for 2.5 seconds and grant him 40% increased movement speed.
- Teemo's Move Quick increases his movement speed by 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26% until he is struck by a champion or a turret. He can activate it to gain double the passive, for 3 seconds, which cannot be cancelled by a hit.
- Trundle's Frozen Domain coats an area with ice for 8 seconds, gaining 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40% movement speed while on it.
- Twitch's Ambush grants him 20% movement speed while stealthed, maximum duration of 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 seconds.
- Udyr's Bear Stance grants him 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35% increased movement speed for 2 / 2.25 / 2.5 / 2.75 / 3 seconds upon activation.
- Viktor's Power Transfer grants him 30% movement speed bonus for 3 seconds if the Hex Core is Augment : Power.
- Volibear's Rolling Thunder grants him 15% bonus movement speed for 4 seconds. The bonus increases to 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% if he is moving towards a nearby visible enemy champion.
- Warwick's Blood Scent gains 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40% increased movement speed when he senses enemy champions under 50% life within 1500 / 2300 / 3100 / 3900 / 4700 distance of him.
- Wukong's Cyclone gains him an increasing 5% movement speed bonus every half second for the duration of the spell, with the bonus disappearing once he stops spinning.
- Yorick's Omen of War summons a ghoul, which when alive (max duration is 5 seconds) grants Yorick 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35% increased movement speed.
- Zilean's Time Warp slows an enemy champion's movement speed or increases an allied champion's movement speed by 55% for 2.5 / 3.25 / 4 / 4.75 / 5.5 seconds.
- Ghost allows your champion to ignore unit collision and gain 27% movement speed for 10 seconds. With , the movement speed boost increased to 40% for the duration.
- Heal grants 30% movement speed to the targeted ally and yourself for 2 seconds.
- Teleport along with will grant the user 30% movement speed for 3 seconds after teleporting.
- Fleet of Foot gives 0.5 / 1 / 1.5% movement speed.
- Wanderer gives 5% movement speed while out of combat.
- Swiftness runes increase movement speed.
- Quintessence of the Speedy Specter runes increase movement speed by 1.39% each. (Tier 2.5)
|Name||Type||Tier 1 (Lesser)||Tier 2 (Normal)||Tier 3 (Greater)|
Multiplicative speed boosts
Most speed boosts stack additively, but a select few stack multiplicatively with other speed boosts. These do not stack additionally with other percentage movement speed bonus, but rather are multiplied after all other percentage movement speed have been calculated. Multiplicative bonuses are notable for disregarding movement speed diminishing returns.
- Hecarim's Devastating Charge grants him 75% movement speed over the course of three seconds, ending 1 second afterward.
- Master Yi's Highlander increases his movement speed by 25 / 35 / 45% for 10 seconds.
- Quinn's Tag Team replaces Quinn with Valor for 20 seconds on the battlefield. Valor gains 80 / 90 / 100% increased movement speed that gradually decreases to 20 / 30 / 40% while in combat.
- Rammus's Powerball grants him 30% initial bonus movement speed plus additional bonus movement speed while active (roughly 10% of his movement speed every second). It lasts up to 7 seconds.
- Revive instantly revives your champion at your team's summoner platform and grants a 125% movement speed increase which decays over 12 seconds.
- The 20% movement speed bonus when using Flash with is multiplicative.
Decreasing movement speed
There are many ways to decrease a champion's movement speed, with the most usual one being through champion abilities. For a full list of slows, see here.
Base movement speeds by champion
General video guide regarding movement speed and slows