Make sure to stock up on some Poro-snax as we vote, discuss and recap all the things that happened this year in League.
|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
Nami channels the primal energies of the ocean, harnessing its mystical restorative properties and commanding the raw power of the tides themselves. Though many doubted her, Nami had the bravery and determination to take on a dangerous quest when no one else would. Now her people believe she is the Tidecaller, a chosen one destined to complete a quest essential to the survival of her entire race.
The Tidecaller's sacred duty is to acquire a moonstone, a powerful object found only in the towering reaches of the surface world. Her people, the Marai, rely on the moonstone's light to ward off the terrors of the depths. However, the stone's power lasts only one hundred years. Before its light fades, the Tidecaller must journey into the Great Deep, retrieve an abyssal pearl, and carry it to the surface. There, on the night of the winter solstice of the hundredth year, the Tidecaller makes a ceremonial exchange with a landwalker bearing a moonstone. By trading the pearl for the moonstone, the Tidecaller ensures the survival of the Marai for another century.
However, in Nami's time, as the hundred years drew to a close, no Tidecaller had been found. Without a chosen one to complete the quest, her people would face disaster, but the Marai waited in faith that the Tidecaller would appear. Nami refused to sit idle, insisting that without a Tidecaller to save them, someone had to act. Bravely, she decided to begin the quest herself and ventured alone into the dangerous depths. None expected her to survive, but after six days of battles with untold horrors, Nami returned with the pearl in hand. The Marai hailed her as the new Tidecaller. All that remained was for Nami to journey to the surface and complete the exchange.
When Nami arrived at the surface, however, she found only an empty shore. She waited for days in a mystic cove, unsure of what to do. In all the legends of the Tidecallers, the bearer of the moonstone had never failed to arrive. Nami faced a choice. She knew the surface world only through tale and rumor, but the survival of the Marai depended upon her. Summoning the tide to bear her ashore, Nami began her search for the moonstone and became the first of her kind to explore the world above the ocean. She left her home behind, and vowed not to return until she had completed the Tidecaller's quest.
"I am the tide, and I cannot be turned."
- Upon selection
- "I decide what the tide will bring."
- "Quit flopping around."
- "There's always another wave."
- "Swim against the current."
- "I'll find my path."
- "Sure as the tides."
- "Great. More dry land."
- "We are all tied to the ocean."
- "Ride upon the waves."
- "Feet are strange."
- "People and their air..."
- "The softest water wears down the hardest rock."
- "My people are counting on me."
- "I still hear the song of the sea."
- "I will see my home again."
- "My quest beckons."
- "Eww, whale breath."
- "They're puddle monsters at best."
- "Do not force my hand."
- "The seas are rising."
- "Wash them away."
- "Welcome to the deep end."
- "Water can heal - or harm."
- "Let the seas reclaim them."
- "Douse 'em."
- "Have a drink."
- "Soak it up."
- "This is minnow's play."
- "Bottom feeders."
- "The ocean will sweep them away."
- "The sea has no pity."
Nami summons three small sharks which swim around her, and makes them jump.
- "Sometimes you're the catch. Sometimes you're the bait."
- "The sea holds fearsome creatures... and them."
- "I moonlight as a shark caller."
Nami taunts her foe and splashes them with water.
- "You're in over your head."
- "Afraid to get your feet wet?"
- "Swim at your own risk."
- Nami laughs.
- Nami laughs.
- Nami laughs.
- Upon using Tidal Wave
- "Oceans spill forth!"
- "High tide!"
- "Hey, squirt!"
- "Cool out, squirt."
- "Pool party!"
Champion Sneak Peek
As I’ve been hinting at for a little while now, the next champion is our new support character. While we’ll get to the details on her in the next few days, I wanted to pull back the curtain on what “support champion” means when we set out to create one.
First up, let’s discuss the differences between support characters, and the lane assignment of support – they overlap a lot, but they’re not the same:
- Support characters are defined by being assisters and enablers for their allies – this is the core “support psychology” we want to achieve. Good examples of these characters are Janna, Lulu or Sona.
- Support as a lane role is any character that can thrive on less gold, and has a strong lane presence – either offensively or defensively. Characters from the previous definition often fit here, but other characters go here a lot. For example: Leona is a tank, but plays the support role in a team. Alistar is a little of both because he’s a great linebacker.
So, with that out of the way: when we talk about a support character (like Nami – the new one!) we mean the first definition. Zyra, while able to play the support role, is not a support champion by these definitions – she’s more like a mage with an off-spec.
So, why should you care about Nami? Let me tell you!
- She brings a combination of defensive utility (including a way to heal in combat situations!) and offensive “set-up”
- She's the water caster that you’ve anticipated for a long time – with a support leaning
- She's a regal mermaid – an archetype I think we can agree is a needed addition to the League lineup
- Her offensive setup features a skillshot-style paradigm, something supports have only really had with Lulu; we wanted to expand a bit
- While this is the concept art and the final has changed (as all concepts do through development), she’s drawn by the ridiculously talented Gem Lim
We’ve learned a lot of lessons from our supports, and think Nami shows how we can make a character who satisfies the core support psychology, and is healthy for the game. And with our commitment to developing a variety of champions, you’ll be seeing more supports coming next year – so this is far from the last example of that.
Look for more exact details, including skills and more art, in the upcoming days – and you will be able to check out Nami on the Public Beta Realm soon, too.
Nami, the Tidecaller Revealed
Announcement made by NeeksNaman The newest support champion to join the League is Nami, the Tidecaller. A water caster who channels the primal energies of the ocean, Nami harnesses water's restorative properties and commands the raw power of the tides themselves.
As a support with powerful crowd control abilities, Nami's kit gives her the potential to impact every phase of your games. In lane, Nami excels at applying constant pressure to the enemy. The buffs provided by Tidecaller's Blessing allow her lane partner to come out ahead in exchanges, and the long-distance stun from Aqua Prison can keep low health enemies from engaging safely. Moreover, because her healing skill also bounces to damage nearby enemies, Nami's core support abilities work best when her partner is on the attack.
In the mid game, when teamfights become more frequent, the utility of Ebb and Flow increases. The more champions the wave can bounce to, the more efficient it becomes. You can use Aqua Prison and Tidal Wave to disrupt opponents' positioning with stuns and slows, and take advantage of her passive combined with Tidecaller's Blessing to help chase down a fleeing enemy champion.
With her potent combination of crowd control and buffs, Nami continues to have a substantial presence in team fights once the transition is made to the late game. Even though she's not on the front lines dishing out damage, Nami becomes a fantastic initiator through the range of her ultimate. The enormous distance covered by the rushing Tidal Wave can easily force a teamfight, or allow her team to disengage while their opponents are slowed under the weight of the tide.
Balancing her offensive capabilities and defensive utility will be crucial to success with Nami. Learn to ride the rolling wave, and you may find your team swimming to victory.
Oceans to Rivers 
Our world is full of legends and fantastic stories ... but how would you feel if something that you only heard about as a myth revealed itself in front of you?
This is just one of many stories in which this happened.
However, it is still early to know what the protagonist of this story experienced...― Translated by Fowky
Tales of the Fabulist 
Gather around, listeners: the Keeper of Legends enters the scene
- Far away from the dark ocean depths, there is a tribe of amphibious beings that inhabit rivers and lakes. Harmonious with nature, this mysterious, recluse civilization has as its supreme law and eternal mission to defend the natural life.
- A tragic episode of this noble folk has changed its history's course. Have a seat and hear the legend I am about to tell you.
Young, beautiful, promising: loved by many, despised by others
- Of brown skin, black long hair and merciful eyes, a young witchdoctor had a promising future ahead of her. She was one with the wild, a fact that would raise all sort of small talk, such as the power of seamlessly communicating with animals. Upon hearing those, she would unfold a humble and sweet smile.
- Her unique beauty and grace attracted the respect and marvel of her peers - as well as there were others who felt envy and resentment.
The call of duty: a mirror-shaped mystery
- Once, a message from an unknown entity was left by her home. Without a doubt a call to action: a certain lake by the border of a big city was about to have its aquatic life put in danger by the pour of polluting substances. "Find the circular mirror by the riverbed and bring it to the surface if you wish to know who I am," read the letter.
- In order to avoid raising distrust, the young woman left afterdark a cloudy night to investigate such calamity. Little did she know what awaited her...
A victim of her own gullibility: a life cut short
- By reaching the lake, as crystalline as never before — a circumstance contrary to the written description in the mysterious message — she found the circular mirror on its bottom. Upon reaching back the surface, the ambush revealed itself: a party of evildoers, lurking in the shadows, attacked her with arrows and spears, taking away her life.
- Confused and hopeless, a terrifying revelation flashed upon her last vision of her earthly life: the offending arrows had her own tribe's engraving on them.
Nature's compassion: her story does not end here
- While her lifeless body sank to the depths of the lake, the clouds above her started to clear up, unmasking a full moon bright enough to cast light all over the place. As if nature felt pity of the injustice that young woman had suffered, a cluster of flesh-eating fishes - considered by everyone as a threat - rose to the surface.
- With a circle of fishes around her and a beam of moonlight, something unexpected and magical happened. Her legend wouldn't end there.
From rivers and lakes, reborn under the moonlight: her name is Nami Iara
- Soon after a white flash, she was reborn - a bit different though. The mirror she found was now attached to a rod, in which she saw herself reflected under the moonlight. Although she featured the war marks of her tribe, her skin was now pale; her locks of hair, erstwhile as black as night, were now as green as the top of a tree.
- Graced by the kind of the nature she swore to protect and burdened with her sorrowing past, Nami Iara returned to life as a guardian of the natural world - and as a power much bigger than what she had ever dreamed of."― Translated by Moobeat
Come forward, listeners: It's time for the Guardian of the Legends to step in
- Far from the dark depths of the ocean, there is a tribe of amphibians that inhabit rivers and lakes. In harmony with the forces of nature, this misterious and reclusive civilization has in the defense of natural life it's supreme law and eternal mission.
- A tragic episode of this noble people has changed the courses of it's history. Sit down, and learn the legend that I'm about to tell you.
Young, Beautiful, Promising: Loved by many, envied by others
- With brown skin, black hair, and merciful eyes, a young healer had a promising future ahead. Her sintony with the wild raised all sorts of rumors, just like her power to communicate with animals as they were equals. By hearing them, she let out a sweet and humble laugh.
- Her unusual beauty and grace lured to her the respect and admiration of her peers - as well as envy and resentment of others.
A Call of Duty: A mirror-shaped mystery
- Once, an unknown message was left at her home, an obvious call of duty: a lake by the borders of a great city was about to have it's marine life at risk by the dumping of polluting material. "Find the circular mirror in the lake's bed and bring it to the surface, and you shall find out who I am", the letter said.
- To prevent any suspicious, the young girl left stealthily in a cloudy night to investigate this outrage. Little did she know what was awaiting her.
Victim of her own credulity: A shortened life
- Arriving to the lake, it was crystalline as never before - which didn't match the atrocity described by the misterious message, raising suspicious - and the young girl found the circular mirror at the bottom of the lake. As she was returning, the ambush was revealed: a group of evildoers in the shadows attacked her with arrows and spears, taking her life.
- Confused and desperate, she had in the last glance of her earthly life a terrifying revelation: the arrows brought markings of her own tribe.
The Compassion of Nature: Her story doesn't end this way
- As her lifeless body fell to the depth of the lake, the clouds opened slowly , revealing the full moon in the sky, that lit the entire region. As if the nature felt compassion for the unrighteousness suffered by the young girl, a shoal of carnivorous fish - and considered dangerous by everyone - raised her to the surface.
- With a circle of fish around her and a flambeau of moonlight, something magical and unexpected had just happened. The girl's saga would not end there.
From rivers and lakes, reborn under the moonlight: Her name is Nami Iara
- After a large white gleam, she reborned - but something was... different. The mirror she found was attached to a scepter, in which she saw herself reflected under the moonlight. Although she witnessed the war paintings of her tribe, her skin had become whitish; Her locks, once dark as night had become green like the treetops.
- Awarded by the favor of nature that she swore to defend and carrying the sad burden of her past, Nami Iara returned as a guardian of the natural world - and like a force greater than she could ever dream of.― Translated by Carolina12669
Lose yourself in the song of River Spirit Nami 
The young farmer had walked this way home countless times before. Beside the jungle, the path stretched from crop to home, but lately he’d found himself a companion on his long trek: a song, drifting through the woods with the cool fall breeze. He’d always ignored his curiosity before – pulled his hood up and marched on home – but this time… it was different. It was calling to him. The boy paused, peering into the mighty woods beside him. Without thinking, he dove into the trees.
The song filled him, pulling him through the brush. Thorns and nettles clawed at him, tearing through his clothes and ripping his flesh as he sped through the woods. Louder still, the melancholy voice sung.
Finally, he burst through the undergrowth and fell into an open grove. The boy, gasping for breath, stumbled to his feet and looked around. Evening sunlight danced through the canopy, and in the grove’s center lay a crystal- clear pond filled with water lilies. River Spirit Nami sat at its heart, her emerald mane of hair framing a wide smile on her pale face. Humming, she beckons him forward, healing his wounds with faerie-touched water. Step by step, he wades into the pool, the water coming to his chest as he lurches deeper into the pool. Tears stream down his face. River Spirit Nami pulls him towards her, wrapping him in an embrace. Slowly, she slips beneath the surface, dragging him into oblivion.― RiotParadox