Classic Mode and ARAM
In each mode, the Nexus is what gives summoners the control over their champions. Once destroyed, the tie to their selected champions are severed, ending the game. In addition, the Nexus is also the source of the minion waves on the Twisted Treeline, Howling Abyss and Summoner's Rift maps.The Nexus is always protected by towers: one tower on the Twisted Treeline, and two on either side on Summoner's Rift or Howling Abyss.
The Nexus turrets are untargetable, although they can still target champions, unless one or more of a team's inhibitors are destroyed, and will remain vulnerable until all of the inhibitors have regenerated. Until these turrets are destoryed, the Nexus is untargetable as well. While the Nexus has no armor or magic resistance, it does have 5500 health and 25 health regeneration per 5 seconds.
In Dominion, the Nexus is untargetable, but its health can be reduced under three circumstances:
- Holding more capture points than the opposing team.
- Slaying an enemy champion (reduces the health of the opposing team's nexus by a flat amount of 2).
- Capturing a point, which reduces the opposing team's nexus by a flat amount of how many points the dominating team is holding over the opposing team, i.e. If Blue team has 3 points captured and Purple team has 2 points captured, then the Nexus for Purple team loses 1 (3-2) health every second.
- When a Nexus has 100 health or less, it can then only be damaged by capturing more points than the opposing team.
- The health of both the allied and enemy Nexuses is reported with voiceover when reduced to 75%, 50% and 25% health.
- When losing health, either side's nexus has what appears to be a laser shooting into it.
- Nocturne, the Eternal Nightmare, is currently bound to a Nexus fragment, trapping him in the physical world.
- Gragas, the Rabble Rouser gained his massive size and affinity for magic by drinking a brew endowed with the magic of a Nexus.
- Destroying the Nexus awards 50 gold, though this is pointless (as the game ends after its destruction).
- In Dominion mode, a special track will begin to play when both of the team's Nexuses are at 70 health or less. This hidden track is similar to the late-game track, but more 'intense'.
- Xerath, the Magus Ascendant requires the magic of Valoran's Nexuses in order to free himself of his prison.