Range is a measurement used to determine how far an autoattack or ability can reach. Riot tends to describe that distance in a vague measurement of "units". It shares the scale of "units" with movement speed, so one point translates to one game distance unit traveled. Note that autoattack range is measured differently to ability range. Given a source unit's hitbox and a target unit's hitbox, range is calculated as follows: autoattack range from edge to edge; targeted skill range from center to center; skillshot range from edge to edge; and the range of self-centered area of effects are from the edge of the source (the larger champions don't benefit less from auras than smaller champions). The difference is approximately 100 (i.e. 550 autoattack range is roughly 650 casting range)
Each champion begins the game with a particular base autoattack range. This can vary from 125 to 200 for melee units and 400 to 650 for ranged units. The highest base autoattack range for champions is held by Caitlyn. At level 18, the highest autoattack range is 669 held by Tristana surpassing Caitlyn at level 16 with 650 autoattack range. This is because of Tristana's Draw a Bead.
Attack Range Modifiers
The following abilities increase the champion's respective attack range, without affecting things such as Crest of Cinders, , , , , and .
- Aatrox's Massacre increases his attack range to 325 from 150 for 12 seconds.
- Azir's Arise! replaces his basic attack with Sand Soldiers 375 attack range attack that can be used if Azir is in 800 units range from soldier
- Caitlyn's Headshot increases her attack range by 650 for her next attack against targets affected by Yordle Snap Trap or 90 Caliber Net.
- Cho'Gath's Feast increases his attack range by 3.8 / 6.1 / 8.3 per stack. The maximum is +50 at rank 3 and 6 stacks.
- Darius's Crippling Strike increases his attack range to 200 from 175 for his next attack.
- Dr. Mundo's Masochism increases his attack range to 150 from 125 for his next attack.
- Ekko's Phase Dive increases his attack range to 425 after dashing, and causes him to blink to his target upon auto attack.
- Hecarim's Devastating Charge increases his attack range to 325 from 175 for the attack.
- Illaoi's Harsh Lesson increases her attack range to 350 from 125 for the next attack.
- Jinx's Fishbones increases her attack range to 600 / 625 / 650 / 675 / 700 from 525.
- Kassadin's Nether Blade increases his attack range to 200 from 150 for the attack.
- Kha'Zix's Taste Their Fear increases his range to 175 from 125 upon evolving the ability after leveling his ultimate, Void Assault.
- Kog'Maw's Bio-Arcane Barrage increases his attack range to 630 / 650 / 670 / 690 / 710 from 500 for 8 seconds.
- Leona's Shield of Daybreak increases her attack to 155 from 125 for the attack.
- Nasus's Fury of the Sands increases his attack range to 175 from 125 for the duration.
- Nidalee's Takedown increases her attack range from 125 to 200 for the attack.
- Poppy's Iron Ambassador increases her attack range to 525 from 125 for the attack.
- Renekton's Ruthless Predator increases his attack range to 175 from 125 for the attack.
- Rengar's Unseen Predator increases his range to 600 (725 with 6 trophies on ) from 125 while in brush and 0.5s after leaving brush, causing him to leap at his target.
- Riven's Blade of the Exile increases her attack range to 200 from 125 for 15 seconds.
- Sejuani's Flail of the Northern Winds increases her attack range to 175 from 125 for her next attack only. Her attack range is increased to 150 for the area of effect portion of the spell.
- Shyvana's Dragon's Descent increases her attack range to 175 from 125 for the duration.
- Tristana's Draw a Bead increases her base attack range of 543 by 7 with each level (+ 126 at level 18).
- Twitch's Rat-Ta-Tat-Tat increases his attack range to 850 from 550 for 7 seconds.
- Vi's Excessive Force increases her attack range to 175 from 125 for the attack.
- Wukong's Crushing Blow increases his attack range to 300 from 175 for the attack.
- Yorick's Omen of War increases his attack range to 175 from 125 for the attack.
- increases the attack range of the champion's next attack by 35%, capped at 150 bonus range.
Range Type Modifiers
The following abilities change a champion attack classification from "Ranged" to "Melee", or vice versa. This affects things such as Crest of Cinders, , , , , and .
- Elise's Spider Form decreases her attack range to 125 from 550 until she switches stances.
- Gnar's Rage Gene decreases his attack range to 150 from 400-485 until he switches stances.
- Jayce's Transform: Mercury Cannon increases his attack range to 500 from 125 until he switches stances.
- Kayle's Righteous Fury increases her attack range to 525 from 125 for 10 seconds.
- Nidalee's Aspect of the Cougar decreases her attack range to 125 from 525 until she switches stances.
Size Model Modifiers
Ranges calculated from the edge of a champion's hitbox will see an increase or decrease in reach based on the champion's current size. Note that a change in range due to the champion's size is only relative to the champion's center and is not an explicitly mentioned effect (i.e. the champion's attack range stat will not increase).
Thus far, Zac is the only champion with the innate quality of constantly modifying his size.
- His maximum size is increased by his maximum health.
- His current size fluctuates based on his current health percentage.
- Cho'Gath's Feast (also grants explicitly increased attack range)
- Lulu's Wild Growth
- Nasus's Fury of the Sands (also grants explicitly increased attack range)
- Nunu's Rough Rock Candy
- Renekton's Dominus
- Trundle's Subjugate (On himself)
- Volibear's Thunder Claws
While the following items do not explicitly increase the champion's attack range, they do increase the champion's size - allowing them to reach targets further away from their current location:
List of ranged champions from highest to lowest autoattack range.
|Caitlyn (with Headshot)||1300|
|Twitch (with Rat-Ta-Tat-Tat)||850|
|Kog'Maw (with rank 5 Bio-Arcane Barrage)||710|
|Jinx (with rank 5 Switcheroo! while using Fishbones)||700|
|Tristana (with Draw a Bead at level 18)||669|
|Annie, Varus, Zyra||575|
|Ahri, Aurelion Sol, Brand, Cassiopeia, Corki, Draven, Elise (with Human Form), Ezreal, Heimerdinger, Jhin, Kalista, Kennen, Lissandra, Lulu, Lux, Malzahar, Miss Fortune, Nami, Ryze, Sona, Soraka, Syndra, Tristana (with Draw a Bead at level 1), Twitch, Vayne, Ziggs, Zilean||550|
|Azir, Jinx, Karma, Kayle (with Righteous Fury), LeBlanc, Nidalee, Orianna, Quinn, Twisted Fate, Veigar, Viktor, Vel'Koz, Xerath||525|
|Bard, Jayce (with Transform: Mercury Cannon), Kog'Maw, Lucian, Sivir, Swain, Teemo, Kindred||500|
|Mini Gnar (with Rage Gene at level 18)||485|
|Karthus, Vladimir, Morgana, Thresh||450|
|Mini Gnar (with Rage Gene at level 1)||400|
List of Melee champions.
Targeted Abilities (Exceptions)
The following targeted abilities calculate their range like a basic attack (edge-to-edge):
- Elise's Rappel
- Lucian's Piercing Light
- Miss Fortune's Double Up
- Nunu's Consume
- Tristana's Explosive Shot and Buster Shot
- Vayne's Condemn
- This list may be incomplete.
- ↑ Hitboxes, Range and Deflection. Retrieved 13 August 2012
- ↑ Annie q and normal attack same 625 range, but normal attack range longer than q, Why?. Retrieved 13 August 2012
- ↑ What's the difference between spell range and autoattack range?. Retrieved 13 August 2012