|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Riven was designed by Xypherous.
- Riven was codenamed "Marth" during her design phase.
- After the release of Riven's "Champion Sneak Peek", there was a preview of her appearance in PC Gamer Magazine.
- When her "Champion Sneak Peek" was originally posted, Riven's title was "The Exile", but was later changed into "The Shattered Exile". Her title has since been changed back to being "The Exile" in her "A New Champion Approaches".
- Riven's "A New Champion Approaches" page was leaked accidentally in the announcements forum, but was then quickly replaced by the Golden Joystick Awards 2011 post.
- Riven is voiced by
- Cristina Valenzuela also recorded the English version of Touhou's Bad Apple with lyrics that closely reflect Riven. This may or may not be a coincidence.
- Xypherous has stated that the original pitch for Riven was "gooder than good".
- "Riven" literally means torn apart, or broken asunder.
- When Xypherous was creating Riven's character, her backstory was a little different. In her former backstory, she was a Demacian who was exiled for rescuing Noxian refugees from Demacian persecution.
- After Riven's backstory was changed to being a Noxian, Xypherous took some inspiration from the Japanese manga/anime series  , particularly from the character , the Heaven's Sword.
- Her story is also reminiscent of Aragorn from Lord of the Rings saga; Aragorn was exiled with a broken sword which was reforged in his path to defeat Sauron and recover his kingdom.
- Xypherous states that the theme he and Riot were going for with Riven was, "Noxus is broken, but through my will and the fight - Noxus can be remade."
- Riven was released concurrently with the end of Season One.
- Riven's dance is based on the "Water Dance of Braavos" from the HBO series .
- Before Riven's release her passive, Runic Blade, was known as the "Art of War". This can be seen in her "Champion Spotlight".
- In Riven's "Mechanics Preview", her Ki Burst was called "Ki Shout".
- (Mike Laygo (Ohmikegoodness)) animated Riven. He also animated "The Kid" from the game .
- Riven is one of the 9 champions who do not have a single skill that scales off ability power; along with Darius, Draven, Garen, Kalista, Olaf, Talon, Vayne and Zed.
- Riven's name and title is likely reference to the Myst series of games, the second and third games being named "Riven" and "Exile", respectively.
- Riven's backstory and name also resemble Revan from the game Knights Of the Old Republic. In the sequel Knights Of the Old Republic 2 the main character is called The Exile.
- Riven's Quote "A broken blade is more than enough for the likes of you!" is similar to Bleach's main character Ichigo Kurosaki who say "A dull blade is more than enough for the likes of you!" when battling Grand Fisher.
- While using her ultimate, Blade of the Exile, Riven gains an additional taunt and joke, as well as other various emotes.
- During Blade of the Exile, Riven's voice seems to have an echo.
- Her splash art was revised four times before her release, causing her to have no Art Spotlight before her release, as it was common at the time for a champion to have one.
- Riven has another splash art for her Classic skin as shown in the champion spotlight while previewing her skins.
- Her sword can be seen in the preview video of the Mac Version of League of Legends.
- Redeemed Riven is likely a reference to her former backstory in which Riven was an exile from Demacia. Her armor appears similar to that of some Demacian champions.
- Riven's sword for her Redeemed skin has a turqoise-colored light outlining the area it was shattered.
- After Riven's release, her Redeemed Splash Art showed her having blue-colored clothing while in game her clothing was teal-colored. This was fixed to where both the Splash Art and the in-game skin showed her having teal-colored clothing.
- Redeemed Riven also has a concept art showing her clothing with red color. This version bears a striking resemblance to War from the Darksiders games.
- Riven is the second and last champion to receive a Crimson Elite skin, the first being Talon. Crimson Elite was the counter to the Demacian Commando skins and has since been abandoned.
- Riven was the second champion to have a special skin marking the end of Season without having to obtain a rank of Gold or higher to obtain, the first being Kayle.
- She shares this theme with Talon.
- It is based on the community-suggested "Bunny Girl Riven" from this community thread and artworks, which themselves were based on .
- It was first featured as part of Riot's Urf Day/April Fools' Day celebrations. It was viewable in Riven's in-game profile for that day, labeled 'Unavailable'. The game was later patched to remove it from view.
- In the Splash Art, Urgot, Talon Vladimir, Swain, and Zac can be seen in the background.
- The Splash Art contains 2 easter eggs, Zac and Swain's Tyrant skin.
- This skin had originally started out as a normal skin for Riven, but with LCS 2012 coming around and Riot made use of it as a skin to celebrate the Finals. With that, design changes had to be made.
- Her sword was inspired by the Neon blue lava pours from Indonesia’s Kawah Ijen Volcano. The reason it’s blue is because the mountain contains large amounts of pure sulfur, which emits an icy violet colors as it turns.
- Riven has a few references to the number two. This is due to the fact that the skin is a promotional skin for Season 2 World Championships. These references are a crest on her front and back that resembles the Roman Numeral for the number two, her shield from her Valor ability creates four images of the Roman numeral for two to float around her, she is wearing two bladed bracers, and (this is a stretch) her sword is broken into two pieces.
- While this isn't a #2 reference it's something that should be noted. After riven uses her ultimate her sword becomes a Roman Numeral One.
- She shares this theme with Thresh and Shyvana.
- This skin was featured in Lunar Revel 2014, with Warring Kingdoms Tryndamere and Lunar Goddess Diana.
- Riven also appeared in Summoner icons, called as "Path of Freedom". Diana imaged in "Path of Truth" icon series. Tryndamere - in "Path of Power".
- She shares this theme with Talon.
- During an Ionian ambush on Noxian troops, Singed launched a barrage of "biochemical terror" on both forces. Ionians and Noxians alike fell victim to an unspeakably gruesome fate - and Riven, the sole survivor, watched them die around her. This incident led Riven to wander in self-imposed exile, seeking atonement for her involvement and searching for her own way to serve the pure Noxian vision in which she believed.
- In the new League of Legends website, Riven is listed as Varus' rival. This suggests that she was directly involved in the assault of Varus' village during Noxus' invasion of Ionia.
- It is implied that Riven may have been the killer of the Ionian elder that Yasuo was supposed to protect.
- Related Themes
|Dragonblade Riven Theme|