| This article is outdated. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information.
Roamers are generally champions with high base stats, are not dependent on farming/items, set up ganks well and/or gank well themselves. Champions with high damage output and escapes work well when trying to kill the enemy jungler as spending too long in the enemy jungle can be dangerous. Roamers often used to buy to counter warding, and set up their runes and masteries to increase Movement speed. Alternatively can be used to clear wards.
If your team contains a roamer, other than when playing Hexakill, your team should have a champion that can hold their own against two champions by themselves, or roaming can become a liability rather than an asset.
Many of the concepts of roaming have become an integral part of some junglers, including Riven and Maokai. Rather than farming the jungle, some junglers are more suited to counter jungling and roaming.
Benefits of Roaming
- Having fewer champions in a lane gives your team the experience advantage. With a jungler, there will be three solo lanes.
- Setting up ganks can grant your team early kills (most people don't expect a gank in the first or second wave of minions)
- Roamers can counter-jungle by clearing enemy neutral monster camps, scaring them away from their minions, or by actually killing the jungler.
- Roamers help give your team map awareness from the beginning of the game.
Cons of Roaming
- The roamer will be underleveled and underfarmed. This can be mitigated by killing Dragon with your team's jungler, and by roaming into the other team's jungle and killing some of their neutral minions.
- If the other team does not have a roamer, your team will need to fight a 1 v 2 in at least one lane (possibly in two lanes if the other team also lacks a jungler), in which case the benefits of a solo lane are hurt by zoning and harassment by the enemy team.
- An early kill for the other team can cripple a roamer if they choose to use their bounty to buy wards since good map awareness can deny a roamer any successful ganks.
- Similarly, good map awareness from spells like Hawkshot or Clairvoyance can drastically reduce the success rate of a roamer.
|This article is a source of speculation. You can help League of Legends Wiki by expanding it or better defining the content.
Roaming champions befit greatly from high base stats and being less dependent on items. Champions with CC abilities have stronger ganks and champions with high sustain and movement speed also make for good roamers. The following are some examples of roaming champions:
- High base damage on her combo
- Defense steroid means she doesn't need as much gold to be effective
- Good CC means easier ganks and better teamfights.
Champions that can hold a 1v2 Lane
When using a roamer in place of a bottom duo lane, it is important to have a champion that can hold their lane without much difficulty. Generally, these champions are bruisers that modify their build for easy sustain and wave clears.A jungler/roamer can than gank when they have the advantage of levels.
- Easy clears with his skill set, good sustain once he gets chalice
- Hard to dive because of his ult
- Good sustain due to his passive
- Good clear from his scream and spikes
- Passive gives decent sustain
- Requires AP to clear waves effectively
- Good sustain
- Has CC and various skills
- Hard to gank or kill
Items for Roamers
Due to spending most of their time outside of a lane and, therefore, away from gold, experience and enemies, Roamers make good use out of items which provide benefits when out of combat such as:
- Health and Mana Regeneration (to recover between encounters)
- Gold generation (to make up for their lack of gold and experience from minions)
- High movement speed (to decrease time outside of lanes and to help facilitate ganks)
- for increase map control
- CC items to improve ganks
Some items to consider for roamers
- Gold generating items
- for CC and increased damage that scales with base stats
Runes and Masteries
Roaming relies heavily on having good runes and masteries and can become very difficult otherwise.A roamers runes and masteries should focus on sustain, movement speed and gold income. Increasing experience earnings can aid with level differences and, along with gold income can reduce problems of not farming. Mana and health regeneration increase sustain and reduce recalling. masteries should focus on utility and some defence.