- Don't be afraid to use Overload to last hit minions as the spell has low mana cost.
- Chaining abilities in the right order is key to make optimal use of Arcane Mastery . For starters, begin with Overload and use it every 2nd spell afterwards. Advanced combos rely on making use of Arcane Mastery to cooldown priority spells.
- Some example spell combos involve:
- Overload -> Desperate Power(while Overload is enroute) -> Overload -> Spell Flux -> Overload -> Rune Prison -> Overload (maximum damage over-time, 40% CDR team-fight damage combo)
- Rune Prison -> Overload -> Spell Flux -> Overload (short, lane harassment burst combo)
- Rune Prison -> Overload -> Spell Flux -> Overload -> Desperate Power (while Overload is enroute) -> Overload -> Rune Prison (chasing combo, to make Rune Prison refresh as soon as possible, also used on people out of position)
- Casting Overload before your other spells will allow a second cast soon, due to its relatively short cooldown and Arcane Mastery.
- If pursued, try to cast your spells on the run to use your Rune Prison as many times as possible on your pursuers. Prioritize melee champions with gap closers.
- Using Rune Prison on melee enemies will effectively remove them from the fight temporarily.
- Rune Prison does NOT interrupt channeling abilities, so be aware of using it against enemies like Katarina or Fiddlesticks.
- Rune Prison will not stop a ranged champion from attacking your allies within range; always take this into consideration when using it on champions such as Twitch or Kog'Maw.
- Try to use Spell Flux on groups of minions or a minion near a champion to hit them near turrets.
- When encountering a single opponent, make sure you're sufficiently close for the Spell Flux to bounce off you.
- Desperate Power combined with Ryze's other abilities make farming gold easy, in mid/late game.
- Desperate Power has a relatively short cooldown and its spell vamp can help Ryze to regain health.
- At 40% cooldown reduction, because of Arcane Mastery, Ryze's combo is only limited by the player's casting speed. This makes smartcasting all of Ryze's skills a good technique for veteran players.
- When low on health, don't be afraid to use Desperate Power + Spell Flux on a minion wave to regain some health as his ultimate has a low cooldown. Since Overload has a low cooldown aswell, use this as much as possible while you ultimate is on cooldown to reduce it using Arcane Mastery.
- There is a bug that allows Ryze to lower his cooldowns while farming : While ryze is about to kill a unit with his Overload for example and throws another spell very shortly before the minion dies, for example, he can use another spell like his Spell Flux before the impact of the Overload so that all of his cooldowns get lowered even though the last spell he threw isn't on cooldown. This bug allows you to get your Desperate Power very quickly in order to shove the lane or do the wraiths, or be able to gank after he pushed the lane. Also, all the other spell cooldowns are lowered by a second, so Overload is way more spammable.
Build usage Edit
- Ryze relies on mainly cooldown reduction, mana, and magic penetration to increase his damage. Any items that grant one of these stats, or a reasonable combination, is probably worth buying.
Because most mana items offer some health and armor, Ryze can be effectively built tanky and deal a lot of damage at the same time with his spells.
- is especially key, allowing Ryze to more freely use his spells while passively increasing his mana pool, and indirectly, his magic damage. is a viable upgrade, but should not be built out of immediately. When Ryze has a very deep mana pool later in the game, he can make full use of passive +3% max mana to ability power.
- Building a and later be built into a can provide more damage (as it procs on autoattacks and single target spells), because of Ryze's mana pool:
- Concurrently, provides (60 + (2240 × 0.03)) × 0.4 = 51 + (1000 × 0.065 = 65) = 116 bonus magical damage on Overload.
- The choice between and depends on the player and want the player wants to be build on Ryze. An can be built into a , which provides more defensive stats for Ryze as it expends a certain percentage of mana for a shield (which Ryze should have a lot of mana in his build, which means stronger shield). The path provides more offensive stats as it amplify Ryze's autoattacks and his spells thanks to 's toggle. It doesn't hurt to build both items at the expense of building two longer.
- Ryze should invest in an early for health and mana. It can be built into later.
- is a well-rounded item that provides not only mana, but health and ability power and has great synergy with if player chose to build that on Ryze. Since Ryze's spells have relatively low cooldown, he can proc 's passive quite often and his Desperate Power synergizes well with both 's passive and it's built in movement speed. It's a much better item to build than as Ryze has relatively low AP scaling to make it useful.
Cooldown Reduction Edit
- is a core item for Ryze giving him mana and armor allowing Ryze to be a tanky mage with a decent amount of damage.
- With masteries, Overload and Ryze reaches the maximum cooldown reduction cap.
- Against a team with more magic damage where a might not be sensible, is an excellent choice for cooldown reduction and magic resistance especially when purchased with a and/or .
- Because Ryze has low ability power scalings, magic penetration is important. Although Spell Flux does reduces enemy magic resistance, it is often insufficient.
- works well in conjunction with the spell vamp of Desperate Power and makes you surprisingly durable even at low health.
- If the enemy have stacked more health than magic resistance, then can be a strong pick on Ryze.
Recommended builds Edit
|The Howling Abyss|
|The Crystal Scar|
|The Twisted Treeline|
- Ryze's damage output is mainly magic damage. Investing in a magic resistance item can help reduce his damage.
- Because all of Ryze's abilities are point and click and rely on him entering a certain range, picking champions that outrange him or that can poke him without entering his ability range are good choices.
- Stay back when you notice him activate his Desperate Power. It gives his spells AoE damage, causing him to deal a lot of damage when facing him in a minion wave.
- Although Ryze is very strong at late game, he has a weak early game. Putting pressure on his lane or denying his chance to farm or kill will reduce his effectiveness in the later stages of the game.
- Ryze takes a while to rack up mana via - denying him farm and killing him early on will hamper him in the later stage of the game.
- Late game, although Ryze deals a high amount of damage and is quite tanky, his short range (particularly since his recent nerfs) and relatively low base movement speed makes him quite vulnerable to kiting. Beware, however, as the MS buff he receives during Desperate Power can make this tactic temporarily less viable.