|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Use Cryptic Gaze to get closer to the enemy and hit them with your Death's Caress.
- Laning together with a burst champion is a potent combination as Cryptic Gaze has a 1.5 second stun at level 1, one of the longest non-ultimate stuns in the game.
- Combining Cryptic Gaze with Exhaust lets you stun, then slow a target, heavily disabling them for about 4 seconds. If they are still nearby, the cooldown from Cryptic Gaze will have refreshed, allowing for decent harassment.
- Death's Caress deals full damage, regardless of how much shield strength is remaining. Use this to your advantage by activating it after absorbing some damage.
- Using Enrage with lifesteal means that the cost of the spell is less than the life you steal back. This means that Enrage can be kept active indefinitely.
- Sion has high burst potential when building ability power as he can combo his Death's Caress with Cryptic Gaze.
- Kills made by Death's Caress will contribute to the extra maximum health from Enrage. This means that even an AP Sion can utilize Enrage.
- When Sion lanes in a solo lane it is possible to get first blood at level 2 by using the stun from his Cryptic Gaze and his Enrage to devastate the other solo laner.
- When playing as AD Sion, try to take advantage of the large bonus to AD that Enrage gives you, as you can easily reach over 110 AD early with little to no investment in AD items or runes.
- Both Cryptic Gaze and Cannibalism can be used in a defensive manner to save allies and sustain pushes.
- Using Cannibalism with a DPS build is a good way to quickly take down turrets as his high attack damage combined with the attack speed boost makes Sion a great pusher.
- When playing AD Sion, use Cannibalism and attack the nearest low armor enemy, maximizing your lifesteal and allied heal.
- Sion has two common builds: melee DPS and AP mage. In both builds, Feel No Pain and Enrage allow Sion maintain a decent level of survivability even when building damage items.
- His DPS builds aim to capitalize on Cannibalism and its massive bonuses; a Sion kept alive will in turn keep his team healed through the allied heal. Cryptic Gaze's reliable disable remains powerful, while Death's Caress is still a strong shield and farming tool. Since DPS builds tend to maximize Enrage first, DPS Sion can also be more tanky by endgame, due to the extra health from a higher leveled Enrage.
- Due to the health gain from his Enrage, buying an will increase his damage output while giving him armor. This also means he is the only champion whose AD has no limit, as he gains 1 AD for every 22 kills when enrage is maxed.
- Life steal items, such as early and its build paths late, allow Sion to negate the health cost of using Enrage, and can be built into strong late game items, such as and .
- When combined with Cannibalism, high life steal items such as can make it almost impossible for enemies to outdamage Sion's lifesteal.
- His AP builds focus on the very strong damage potential of both Cryptic Gaze and Death's Caress, both of which have a 0.9 AP ratio. Sion's survivability is also improved through item choice, and ease of farming health with Enrage. Sion's Enrage damage boost and Cannibalism combined make his physical damage output respectable as well.
- AP builds usually include a or two, a or and an early for maximum damage.
- is often a core item for AP Sion for the added damage, however his cooldowns are not nearly short enough to take full advantage of the passive. Grabbing it does, however, grant quick burst if you are close enough.
- While AP Sion is potent early - mid game and later, an AD Sion shines mid - late game. His Enrage grants him the possibility to gain "infinite" health, and grabbing an will allow his AD to do the same.
|The Howling Abyss|
|The Crystal Scar|
|The Twisted Treeline|
- Try to CC Sion or reduce his healing with Ignite or another healing reduction during Cannibalism.
- Although Enrage increases his damage, it drains his health with each attack he made. Use this to your advantage.
- If facing an AD Sion, it is extremely important that you do not let him farm. An AD Sion can heal his team for hundreds of HP with a few autoattacks, his late game is possibly the most powerful out of all champions in the league but at the price of a horrible early game. Do NOT engage him as a melee champion alone as he is a master of 1v1, instead kite him during his ultimate or disable him, wasting it and maybe allowing your team to turn the game around.
- Countering Sion depends on his build. If he is building AP, investing a magic resistance item can help mitigate his damage, especially as his damage is focused into only two spells. If he is building AD, a or will help to counter him.
- Try to destroy the shield from his Death's Caress rather than waiting until the shield duration is over to prevent it from exploding. However, not destroying the shield completely is a waste of damage, as it will still do full damage.