Spell vamp is a magical stat that converts a percentage of the ability damage dealt into health regained. Activated abilities that do not state they "apply on-hit effects" or modify your "next basic attack" will benefit from spell vamp.
Spell vamp works off of activated item effects, Smite, and abilities, regardless of the type of damage done. It is calculated from the damage dealt to the enemy after reductions such as magic resistance, armor or effects like Unbreakable Will.
Increasing spell vamp
- : Unique Passive: Falling below 50% health grants you +10% spell vamp, +20% attack speed, and +10% life steal until out of combat (30 second cooldown). +30 attack damage, +40 ability power. Passive: Basic attacks and spell casts grants +4% attack speed and +4 ability power for 8 seconds (stacks up to 8 times). 2600 gold.
- : Unique Passive: +12% spell vamp. +40 ability power. 1200 gold.
- : Unique Passive: +20% spell vamp, +40 attack damage, +80 ability power, +10% life steal. Unique Passive: Basic attacks (on hit) and single-target spells against champions reduce the cooldown of this item by 3 seconds. Unique Active: Deals 150 + (40% AP) magic damage and slows the target champion's movement speed by 40% for 2 seconds (60 second cooldown). 3400 gold.
- : Unique Passive: +20% spell vamp. +80 ability power, +10% cooldown reduction. 2500 gold.
Note: Only the effect regarding the spell vamp of this abilities is shown. For full description and detail visit each champion page
- Akali's Twin Disciplines grants 6% spell vamp, increasing by an additional 1% for every 6 bonus attack damage gained thereafter.
- Lee Sin's Iron Will grants 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 / 25% spell vamp.
- Morgana's Soul Siphon grants / / % spell vamp.
- Ryze's Desperate Power grants 15 / 20 / 25% spell vamp.
- Vampirism grants 1 / 2 / 3% spell vamp and life steal.
- Quintessences of Spell Vamp grant 1.12 / 1.56 / 2% spell vamp.
Note: These abilities will heal the champion by a percentage of the damage dealt from their ability. These act similar to how spell vamp works, but unlike it, they have no penalty for being AoE abilties.
- Fiddlesticks's Drain heals for 60 / 65 / 70 / 75 / 80% of the damage dealt.
- Hecarim's Spirit of Dread heals for 20% of all damage dealt to enemies, from any source, within the ability's radius.
- Irelia's Transcendent Blades heals for 10% (25% against champions) of the damage dealt.
- Mordekaiser's Children of the Grave heals for 100% of the damage dealt.
- Swain's Ravenous Flock heals for 25% (75% against champions) of the damage dealt.
- Trundle's Subjugate heals for 100% of the damage dealt.
- Warwick's Hungering Strike heals for 80% of the damage dealt.
- Vladimir's Sanguine Pool heals for 15% of the damage dealt.
- Yorick's Omen of Famine heals for 40% of the damage dealt.
- passive effect will increase spell vamp effectiveness.
- Abilities with natural spell vamp have their own spell vamp fully stacking with items, runes and masteries that provide spell vamp.
- Spell vamp applies to all types of damage: magic, physical and true.
- There is a common misconception it only applies to magic damage, which is not true.
- Spell vamp applies to nearly everything that isn't classified as an auto-attack. This is most abilities, but also includes activated item effects(e.g. ) and Smite.
- On-hit damage modifiers (e.g. Siphoning Strike, aka "bonus" or "additional" damage), on-hit damage over time (e.g. Seastone Trident and Toxic Shot) and abilities that apply on-hit effects (e.g. Parrrley and Mystic Shot) are classified as auto-attacks, and will not apply spell vamp. Any physical damage dealt will trigger life steal, while any magic and true damage dealt trigger neither life steal nor spell vamp.
- A list of champion abilities on-hit effects that trigger spell vamp can be found here.
- Area of effect (AoE) spells only apply 33% of the listed spell vamp.
- Fox-Fire are classified as multiple single-target projectiles, and will apply 100% of your spell vamp.
- Abilities with both single-target and multi-target effects, such as Mace of Spades and Lay Waste, will apply spell vamp depending on which effect occurs. In that, full spell vamp against a single target; or 33% against multiple targets.
- Single target abilities that apply splash damage will apply full spell vamp to the original target, and 33% to the splash damage. For example, Conflagration with Blaze and Desperate Power.
- Damage over time abilities (DoT) apply full spell vamp. (e.g. Brand's Blaze and Malzahar's Malefic Visions).
- Does not work with the reflected damage of . It does, however, work with the reflected damage of Molten Shield and Defensive Ball Curl.
- Healing reduction effects like Ignite, and reduce the health restored by spell vamp. See healing reduction for more information.
Spell vamp is multiplied by total spell damage to determine the amount of health restored. Area of effect spells, however, only heal one-third the normal amount.
- Examples: Dealing 300 single-target damage with 10% spell vamp will heal for 30. Dealing 300 area of effect damage with 10% spell vamp will heal for 10 for each enemy affected.
- Attack Damage sources
- Janna AP = (100 + 80 × 4 + 219.201 + 83.16 + 16 + 6 + 64 + 35) × (1.25 × 1.1 × 1.05) = 1217.6024438
- 171.76024438 AD - Eye Of The Storm
- Total Bonus AD:(110.6 + 150 + 95 + 45 + 20 + 40 + 35 + 38.25 + 14 + 171.76024438) × 1.05 × 1.1 − 110.6 = 720.54983226
- Conversion: (720.54983226 / 6) + 6 = 120.09163871
- Total: 126% (decimal of .09163871 dropped)
- Total: 49%
- increases the given spell vamp, increasing the subtotal of 175% by 20%. Making the maximum spell vamp 210%.