Spell vamp is a magical stat that converts a percentage of the ability damage dealt into health regained. Activated abilities that do not state they "apply on-hit effects" or modify your "next basic attack" will benefit from spell vamp.
Spell vamp works off of activated item effects, Smite, and abilities, regardless of the type of damage done. It is calculated from the damage dealt to the enemy after reductions such as magic resistance, armor or effects like Unbreakable Will.
Increasing spell vamp
- : Unique Passive: Falling below 50% health grants you +10% spell vamp, +20% attack speed, and +10% life steal until out of combat (30 second cooldown). 2600 gold.
- : Unique Passive: +12% spell vamp. 1200 gold.
- : Unique Passive: +20% spell vamp. 3400 gold.
- : Unique Passive: +20% spell vamp. 2500 gold.
Note: Only the effect regarding the spell vamp of this abilities is shown. For full description and detail visit each champion page
- Akali's Twin Disciplines grants 6% spell vamp, increasing by an additional 1% for every 6 bonus attack damage gained thereafter.
- Lee Sin's Iron Will grants 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 / 25% spell vamp.
- Morgana's Soul Siphon grants / / % spell vamp.
- Ryze's Desperate Power grants 15 / 20 / 25% spell vamp.
- Vampirism grants 1 / 2 / 3% spell vamp and life steal.
- Second Wind increases self-healing (spell vamp) by 10% when under 25% health. Similar to , if you have 20% spell vamp, you will be granted 2%, not 10%.
- Quintessences of Spell Vamp grant 1.12 / 1.56 / 2% spell vamp.
Note: These abilities will heal the champion by a percentage of the damage dealt from their ability. These act similar to how spell vamp works, but unlike it, they have no penalty for being AoE abilties.
- Fiddlesticks's Drain heals for 60 / 65 / 70 / 75 / 80% of the damage dealt.
- Hecarim's Spirit of Dread heals for 20% of all damage dealt to enemies, from any source, within the ability's radius.
- Irelia's Transcendent Blades heals for 10% (25% against champions) of the damage dealt.
- Mordekaiser's Children of the Grave heals for 100% of the damage dealt.
- Swain's Ravenous Flock heals for 25% (75% against champions) of the damage dealt.
- Trundle's Subjugate heals for 100% of the damage dealt.
- Warwick's Hungering Strike heals for 80% of the damage dealt.
- Vladimir's Sanguine Pool heals for 15% of the damage dealt.
- Yorick's Omen of Famine heals for 40% of the damage dealt.
- passive will increase your self-healing (in this case spell vamp) by 20%. So if you had 20% spell vamp before, you will now have 24% spell vamp (not 40%).
- Abilities with natural spell vamp have their own spell vamp fully stacking with items, runes and masteries that provide spell vamp.
- Spell vamp applies to all types of damage: magic, physical and true.
- There is a common misconception it only applies to magic damage. This is incorrect.
- Spell vamp applies to nearly everything that isn't classified as an auto-attack. This includes most abilities, but also includes activated item effects(e.g. ) and Smite.
- On-hit damage modifiers (e.g. Siphoning Strike, aka "bonus" or "additional" damage), on-hit damage over time (e.g. Seastone Trident and Toxic Shot) and abilities that apply on-hit effects (e.g. Parrrley and Mystic Shot) are classified as auto-attacks, and will not apply spell vamp. Any physical damage dealt will trigger life steal, while any magic and true damage dealt trigger neither life steal nor spell vamp.
- A list of champion abilities on-hit effects that trigger spell vamp can be found here.
- Area of effect (AoE) spells only apply 33% of the listed spell vamp.
- Fox-Fire's projectiles are classified as single-target, and will apply 100% of your spell vamp.
- Abilities with both single-target and multi-target effects, such as Mace of Spades and Lay Waste, will apply spell vamp depending on which effect occurs. In that, full spell vamp against a single target; or 33% against multiple targets.
- Single target abilities that apply splash damage will apply full spell vamp to the original target, and 33% to the splash damage. For example, Conflagration with Blaze and Desperate Power.
- Damage over time abilities (DoT) apply full spell vamp. (e.g. Brand's Blaze and Malzahar's Malefic Visions).
- Does not work with the reflected damage of . It does, however, work with the reflected damage of Molten Shield and Defensive Ball Curl.
- Healing reduction effects such as Ignite and reduce the health restored by spell vamp. See healing reduction for more information.
Spell vamp is multiplied by total spell damage to determine the amount of health restored. Area of effect spells only heal one-third the normal amount.
- Example: Dealing 300 single-target damage with 10% spell vamp will heal for 30. Dealing 300 area of effect damage with 10% spell vamp will heal for 10 for each enemy affected.
- The highest attainable spell vamp value is 236.00242774704% on Akali. To reach this amount, she must:
- Be level 18.
- Be at less than 30% max health points.
- Have a fully stacked , one (or ), a , a , a , and a .
- Have a rune page consisting of full Scaling Attack Damage marks, glyphs and seals, along with three Spell Vamp quintessences.
- Maximum ranks in Martial Mastery, Brute Force, Warlord, and Vampirism masteries.
- Possess the Hand of Baron buff and 5 stacks of the Dragon Slayer buff.
- Have consumed an .
- Be affected by a team mates aura.
- Be affected by Janna's Eye of the Storm (whom has maximum Ability power), Gangplank's Raise Morale and Taric's Radiance.
- Akali's Twin Disciplines grants her 1% spell vamp per 6 bonus AD. Upon conversion, along with , , and passives, Akali will reach 236.00242774704% spell vamp.
- Relevant mathematics:
- Janna AP = ( + + + + + + + + ) × ( × × ) = 1555.494377
- Akali spell vamp = ((((( + + + + + + + + + + + + ) × ) × ) / ) + + + + + ) × = 236.00242774704%