Stealth is the mechanic by which some units become invisible for a determined period of time.
Stealthed units will fade and/or disappear from enemy sight until they attack/have been attacked, or the duration of their invisibility effect expires. For ranged champions, auto attacks must actually land on a target for the stealth to expire prematurely. For some champions, using an ability that will cause them to become stealthed is preceded by a period called a "fade time", during which the champion appears partially transparent, but is still visible to enemies. During this fade time, any damage taken by the champion delays becoming invisible for a short period of time. No matter how many times a champion is hit, however, the fade time on invisibility cannot exceed five seconds depending on if the champion has base banshee's veil. Summoner spells can be used during stealth without breaking it.
Invisible Objects and Units
Objects created from champion abilities
- Akali's Twilight Shroud will stealth her until the Twilight Shroud ends or Akali steps outside of Twilight Shroud. Whenever Akali casts an ability or autoattacks inside of Twilight Shroud, she is revealed for 0.5 seconds. The Twilight Shroud also gives bonus armor and magic resistance for 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50.
- Evelynn's Shadow Walk Evelynn stealths into the shadows only being seen by nearby enemy champions or true sight. While stealthed, Evelynn regenerates 1% of her maximum mana every second. Casting spells, taking damage or dealing damage reveals Evelynn for 6 seconds.
- Kha'Zix's Void Assault enters stealth for 1 second, gaining 40% bonus movement speed and ignoring unit collision for the duration. Void Assault can be cast a second time within 10 seconds at no cost. If Kha'Zix evolves to have Evolved Active Camouflage, he can stealth up to 3 times, it is also increased to 2 seconds per activation.
- LeBlanc's Mirror Image stealths her instantly for 0.5 seconds whenever she is brought below 40% health. When the stealth ends, she creates a clone of herself that deals no damage from autoattacks, and lasts for 8 seconds. This effect occurs almost instantly and can only work for once a minute.
- Rengar's Thrill of the Hunt gives him stealth over 7 seconds and reveals nearby champions. Rengar has 20 / 25 / 30% movement speed bonus while stealthed.
- Shaco's Deceive will immediately stealth him for 3.5 seconds and teleport him in medium distance. Note that he blinks after stealthing, thus the enemy team cannot estimate direction he went without stealth detection.
- Talon's Shadow Assault will stealth him for 2.5 seconds and gives him 40% increased movement speed. If Talon breaks the stealth, The blades around Talon will converge and return to Talon, Dealing 120 / 190 / 260 damage to any unit they pass through.
- Teemo's Camouflage will stealth him until he moves or attacks if Teemo stands still for 2 seconds. If he breaks the stealth, he gains 40% bonus attack speed for 3 seconds.
- Twitch's Ambush allows him to enter stealth after 1.25 seconds of casting for 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 seconds. While stealthed, Twitch gains 20% movement speed. Upon exiting stealth, Twitch gains 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70% bonus attack speed for 5 seconds.
- Vayne's Final Hour gives her increased attack damage 25 / 40 / 55, a 1 second stealth after using Tumble and triple the bonus movement speed for Night Hunter.
- Wukong's Decoy will stealth him for 1.5 seconds and leaves an uncontrollable decoy that deals 70 / 115 / 160 / 205 / 250 magic damage after 1.5 seconds.
There are various ways for a champion to gain the ability to see invisibility. A champion with this ability will see invisible enemy units as partially translucent. When a revealed invisible unit leaves the revealed area that unit does not experience a fade time; the unit immediately turns invisible again. The following is a list of possible ways to detect invisible Champions:
- , and : Legendary Items whose active covers an area with stealth-detecting mist for 6 seconds, granting vision of units which pass through it for 6 seconds. 60 second cooldown, 1000 Range, 375 AOE (estimate). Available in The Crystal Scar, The Twisted Treeline, and The Howling Abyss.
- : A consumable potion (250g) that was designed for the game mode Dominion. Available at the item shop that grants invisibility detection to a champion for 5 minutes or until death. Any invisible enemies that enter this champion's vision range while this potion is active will be revealed. Available in The Crystal Scar, The Twisted Treeline, and The Howling Abyss.
- : is a consumable item. When placed on the ground these stationary wards reveal an area of the map for until destroyed. Any invisible enemy units within their vision radius during this time will be revealed. Only available on Summoner's Rift.
The following abilities can reveal invisible units for a period of time:
- Caitlyn's Yordle Snap Trap
- Lee Sin's Tempest and Sonic Wave
- Karma's Focused Resolve and Renewal will fully reveal enemies who become stealthed after she casts it.
- Lulu's Help, Pix! will reveal enemies if they stealth themselves while Pix is attached to them.
- Nidalee's Bushwhack
- Nocturne's Duskbringer will provide semi-reveal. Though stealthed unit will still be immune to autoattacks and targeted spells, Duskbringer's trail will compromise the position of said unit for 5 seconds, even through movement.
- Talon's Noxian Diplomacy causes struck enemies to leave behind a trail of blood even during stealth, similarly to Nocturne's aforementioned Duskbringer.
- Twisted Fate's Destiny will reveal all enemy champions.
- Rengar's Thrill of the Hunt reveals all nearby enemy champions inside the ability radius.
Allied turrets have a "true sight" stealth detection range that will reveal any stealthed unit.
Presence detection without reveal
All abilities that do not require single target to cast can affect stealthed champions (but will not reveal them).
Certain abilities can only be cast if an enemy is in range of the AoE casting circle - these abilities will light up and become available to use even if the only enemy in range is a stealthed enemy.
- Evelynn's Hate Spike
- Katarina's Death Lotus
- Kennen's Electrical Surge can detect stealthed champions due to the particle effect pointing in their direction. The stealthed champion will not be revealed.
- Morgana's Soul Shackles
- Soraka's Starcall
- Teemo's Noxious Trap will explode but not reveal stealthed champions.
- Tryndamere's Mocking Shout
- Viktor's Chaos Storm will follow a stealthed target and fire it's lightning bolts at it. The stealthed champion will not be revealed.
- Vladimir's Tides of Blood can detect stealthed champions due to the particle effect flying in their direction. The stealthed champion will not be revealed.
- Warwick's Blood Scent does not reveal stealthed champions but if they are within range and below half health, he will receive the movement speed bonus.
While skill shots that do damage and/or stun such as Ashe's Enchanted Crystal Arrow will still hit stealthed champions, they will still not be revealed. Note that the visible projectile will stop short of its trajectory and show visual and audio effects (eg. Dr Mundo's Infected Cleaver will make a splatter and show a small eruption of blood upon impact) if a stealthed unit is hit, indicating the stealthed champion's presence but not revealing them. Here are some more ways to detect stealthed enemies since they'll function the same as if they are unseen in brush.
- Lux's Light Binding will visibly entrap the stealthed champion without revealing the champion.
- Morgana's Dark Binding will visibly entrap the stealthed champion without revealing the champion.
- Varus's Chain of Corruption will visibly entrap the stealthed champion without revealing the champion.
- Zyra's Grasping Roots will visibly entrap the stealthed champion without revealing the champion.
- Urgot's Acid Hunter can still missle lock on stealthed champions if hit with Noxian Corrosive Charge. You won't see the champion but you can see the debuff animation and follow it with your mouse.
- Hook-type skillshots ( Nautilus's Dredge Line, Blitzcrank's Rocket Grab, Amumu's Bandage Toss and in some circumstances, Leona's Zenith Blade and Thresh's Death Sentence ) will show the effect of the hook happening without revealing the stealthed champion hit, revealing the champion's location.
Forcing enemies out of stealth
Taunting a stealthed enemy will cause him to attack, automatically revealing him and forcing him out of stealth. This can work if you target a visible stealthed unit or if the enemy is currently entering into stealth. With AoE taunts, such as Shen's Shadow Dash or Galio's Idol Of Durand, this is easier as you can force every stealthed champion in the area to attack, even if they are invisible.
In the case of Teemo's Camouflage, skills which force him to move - such as Nautilus's Dredge Line, Blitzcrank's Rocket Grab, Hecarim's Onslaught of Shadows, Darius's Apprehend and knockbacks will also force him out of stealth.