- Playing As
- naturally works well with . Try activating before leaping on your opponent with .
- is a powerful escape tool, but can also be offensively used to assault a group.
- Remember to pick your target before the fight. Focusing all of abilities on one target can be very rewarding, but splitting them up between many may leave you helpless.
- Playing Against
- attacks are all physcial damage. Build armor early to counter his burst damage.
- is heavily reliant on to escape a fight. When it is down he's significantly more vulnerable.
- has no healing or sustain abilities. Weakening him in lane could force him to return to base.
- Ability Usage
- As an AD caster assassin,
serves as an anti-mage or anti-carry. Against mages or carries, his high burst damage can easily overwhelm them in one combo.
is your best tool in the lane, allowing to last-hit and harass from a decent range.
- Be sure not to overuse this ability at earlier levels to avoid running out of mana.
- high burst and go hand in hand with most jungler's CC effects.
harassment combo in-lane is followed by a basic attack, and . This does good damage; however, if used poorly, it can leave vulnerable to retaliation since his only real escape is . Try to execute it while your opponent's abiltiies are on cooldown.
- Try to perform this at least once prior to reaching level 6, so as to force opponents out of the lane due to the threat of dying to .
- movement speed. Change your path direction during stealth to juke and confuse your enemies. But keep in mind that the enemies can see where your blades travel when your stealth ends, so using the ability just to run can sometimes be better than running into the enemy jungle while trying to juke the enemies. is a hard champion to catch. Use to slow pursuers, and for the stealth and high
- can be used to ambush enemies behind thin walls, if they are close enough and you have line of sight. Alternatively, you can use on a minion near an enemy champion for a quick entry into battle.
- resets 's autoattack timer, so use this ability after autoattacking to gain 2 hits in succession.
- The bonus damage from turrets, allowing Talon to be an effective pusher. can be used on
- Use in conjunction with and to maximize damage potential.
- Auto-attacking between abilities that apply slows ( or ) is absolutely vital, as you are using to its full potential.
can be used both defensively or offensively. It can be used as either a tool for chasing an escaping champion or escaping a gank.
- It is difficult to utilize the movement speed of to its fullest due to the small range of the radius, however. It is more likely the movement speed will be helpful to quickly get in range of a target to use on than simply running around should you wish to hit an enemy with twice.
- One way to ensure return hits your target is to use , immediately ending the stealth and positioning yourself such that the blades are guaranteed to hit.
- An example combo for requires him to activate then close the gap with . Then right click your target to cancel the backswing of 's animation and attack, right as the attack lands use to get a second quick hit and follow up with and . If the target is still alive, use and basic attacks amplified by your passive due to the slow from to finish them off. This combo should be used in situations where you need the stealth from to close the gap, saving it for extra damage or an escape/chase is better otherwise.
- does not reveal stealthed champs.The target will leave a blood trail, but it will not be left while they are stealthed, if facing champs with short stealth abilities ( , ) the trail will end when they enter stealth and continue after they exit stealth. Also you can use it on champion to prevent him or her from hiding in bush.
- When you are ganking/chasing enemy that has or a similar escape tool ( , etc.) don't use your immediately, but simply run near him until he wastes his ability. However, be careful when he can jump over walls as you need vision of them to blink to them with .
- When you use your combo, take care not to use beforehand as it resets your autoattack timer. This means you can activate it right as a basic attack hits to get a second hit nearly instantly and substantially increase your burst. Likewise, when you are in a position to get to your target without the movement speed and stealth from , saving it until you are in range to get both hits gives superior damage. One trick is to activate then immediately or to cause the blades to collapse instantly and deal extremely fast burst damage.
- Mastery Usage
- Item Usage
- deals strictly physical damage so he benefits from building attack damage items.
- is one of the most important sources of early AD for . Together with , they are 's early game core items. This item has a convenient active to deal extra burst damage or finishing off a low HP target with its extra range. Later it can be upgraded to for a lot of AD and life steal.
- or are excellent early purchases for , the former for its cooldown reduction and the latter for its armor penetration. Both combine into one of his core items, , which provides flat armor penetration that is very useful for bursting squishy targets, and the active combined with gives amazing gank potential in the mid game. It makes catching up to targets and sticking to them far easier, and the extra attack speed provides strong dueling and tower-destroying capabilities.
- Another essential early/mid game purchase for bonus armor penetration. It can later be upgraded to or , both of which not only provide additional bonus armor penetration as well as more damage, but the former also deals increased damage to high-health enemies (such as bruisers, juggernauts, and tanks), and the latter applies Grievous Wounds to enemies, especially strong against healing-based enemies or those who stack life steal. is . Not only does it provide a nice amount of attack damage, it also adds
- Once you have completed your core offensive items, where the AA > This said, combo can outright kill some targets should you score a critical hit. is not an essential item and will occasionally give way to items such as depending on the enemy team comp. is a solid purchase on . It gives very large amounts of attack damage together with , and the crit scaling helps you keep your damage high in late game,
- is a good late-game purchase, giving strong armor shred as well as considerable amounts of CDR. All of 's abilities deal more than one instance of physical damage and several are AoE, making passive stacks very easy to apply to amplify your team's DPS. Do not rush this item till mid game however, as the okay AD and okay build path can weaken your damage in the early and mid game. This is a team-oriented purchase, as this item does a very poor job of helping you burst squishy targets.
- If you have sustain problems in lane and think that potions are not enough for you, an early is recommended. Other than that, a can be purchased early and later upgrade into other life steal items that can greatly benefit .
- Cleave applies 's armor shred passive and Crescent adds even more burst to . A solid option for wave clearing and more team fight presence. is the standard life lteal item for . It builds from and provides strong sustain as well as pushing power.
- An early Quicksilver's cleansing is needed. can be the bane of burst Mages, and later on can be upgraded to . It's essential when facing opponents with 'finishing' moves that deal magic damage like and . Alternatively, a can be purchased if
- is a great purchase if ahead, as it makes harder to kill and may deter the enemy team from focusing him.
triggers with every successful hit. It provides utility, health, and some damage.
- Note: the first hit will apply Icy, but won’t trigger .
- Other unconventional items, like or , are extremely situational and decrease 's damage output drastically, but can also provide a great increase to his survivability.
- It is advisable to start with a in order to ward your lane against ganks, unless you are fighting a stealth champion such as (or indeed another ) in which case is preferred. However, on ambush champions such as , a into an eventual is often preferable past laning phase, so that you can ensure that the bush you're waiting in to ambush the enemy team from is not warded.
- All of damage output is physical damage, investing in a or early (and higher-value armor items later) can significantly reduce his damage.
- Buying will make less useful, and also reduce the damage of .
- is fairly squishy and vulnerable to harassment during the laning phase. Use this to your advantage but be aware that his > can easily turn the engagement in his favor.
- When playing as a Mage, can provide a great amount of defense early game, decreasing 's damage substantially.
- reliance on burst damage is a heavy weakness against targets he can't quickly kill. Fighter champions tend to beat , being durable enough to survive his combo and do enough damage to kill afterwards - fighters with innate sustainability abilities in particular will survive combo and then just heal themselves back up.
- It is recommended to engage
when you think his is on cooldown as it is his only escape mechanism.
- As is his only escape mechanism, s can help your team focus him.
- Champions with Stealth Detection Abilities like , or can be a nightmare for as he couldn't escape even using his .
- Watch out for his > combo. It can deal significant damage and combined with and his passive will deal significant amounts of damage within a few hits. Zone him when you can and press the advantage.